Side effects from 65+ lbs of weight loss?

Options
bjgrimjo1
bjgrimjo1 Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
:* After losing 65 lbs, I am getting in better shape, although I have an additional 40 lbs to lose. I recently joined several walking challenges, and currently, walk approx 6,500 steps/daily. My problem? I've been having problems driving! Running over curbs. Parking 8 inches from the white parking space line, while stopping my car 10 inches short. After wondering what the problem was, at 5'1", I realized I can now barely see over the steering wheel, and judging distances is almost impossible! What happened? My Butt got smaller! Now I must purchase a seat cushion and hope my feet can reach the pedals! :#:/ Any suggestions?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    LOL! Can you raise the seat some? Or use a cushion would be a sure bet. The best NSV ever posted!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This was really funny. I would go with the cushion.
  • bjgrimjo1
    Options
    Already tried.... the seat is as high as it can go... but thanks for that suggestion.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, nice little problem. Makes sense, usually car seats are adjustable, so that would help, if you can't, then get a cushion. Didn't people used to put a nice big phone book to help with the height situation? Bravo on your progress!
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Are you old enough to remember curb feelers? I am. Do they still make them? That could help.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Hahaha, nice little problem. Makes sense, usually car seats are adjustable, so that would help, if you can't, then get a cushion. Didn't people used to put a nice big phone book to help with the height situation? Bravo on your progress!

You could sit on a phone book...if you can find a phone book :)
  • bjgrimjo1
    Options
    ;):# LOL... Curb feelers. Phone book. Yep. At 72, I remember them both. :p Threw phone books away, since Google search is much quicker now but might see it there are any curb feelers. Drive a SUV that has a roll button to lift the seat... Old car. Old technology. Saw many seat cushions on Amazon.. THEN saw one that I thought made more sense (I think?) This one had straps that clip together behind the entire seat.... holding it in place. Thought it might be better in case of an accident, I won't slide forward with a regular cushion?????
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    You could try a soft throw pillow. My husband uses one when his back is out of whack, and he doesn't slide. It's a soft pillow though, so it molds to shape quite a bit. It is also covered in a fuzzy (not slick) fabric.
  • bjgrimjo1
    Options
    Soft pillow? Huh. Will try that cause it is cheaper than the one I had planned to purchase! Thanks.... :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
  • Sh0shin
    Sh0shin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely get the one with the straps (or improvise one by extending the strings on a regular chair cushion. Regular pillows move around a lot- not when you're driving but when you get in or out of the car- so it becomes a constant thing to readjust it and get comfortable again. I never had your specific issue, but I did have a car with a broken adjustment control for a while.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    If reaching the pedals becomes a problem, it's my understanding that there are "pedal extenders" for cars that you can purchase and add to the pedals to bring them closer to you. They fasten on securely, and are designed to help short people. You can see what they look like via Google or Amazon.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    LOL I wasn’t expecting that that plot twist.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bjgrimjo1 wrote: »
    Thanks to all your suggestions, I purchased the Clever Yellow pillow from Amazon.com. It has straps that clip to the back of the seat to keep it in place and I LOVE IT. LOL.. I can see over the car hood and dashboard and STILL reach the pedals. You've all solved my dilemma.

Amazon rocks, glad that you've found a good and safe solution.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Yay!