Smart Scales??

Options
I've recently been considering buying a smart scale, and want to know some of your opinions - are they accurate, do they work well, do you find it helps you get to your goals?? I want to know some other people's opinions before I drop 200 on one. Thanks!!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I like mine simply for the fact that it automatically uploads my daily weigh-ins (via wi-fi) to apps I use without me having to do anything. All the other measurements (body fat percentage, etc.) are done on these scales via bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA), which has a pretty big margin of error - especially on consumer-grade devices.

You can read about BIA here, maybe it will help with your decision: https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I like mine simply for the fact that it automatically uploads my daily weigh-ins (via wi-fi) to apps I use without me having to do anything.

Same. Pee, step on the scale and don't have to worry about entering the info into anything.

I bought mine out of a clearance bin, but it still wasn't cheap. Up to you if it's worth paying the price to not have to type the numbers in. Outside of that, it's no better than the cheap one I had before.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Paid around $50 for a wifi scale. That's about my limit.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My partner (s&c coach and biomechanist) says the fat readings aren't accurate at all. Save the $$
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I would not pay 200 for something to log my weight in an app.
    Logging my weight personally in Libra and watching the trend change is in fact my favourite part.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    For that price, I'd expect it to cook and clean for me as well. The body fat measures are fun to watch. I bought a new scale last week. It was awesome! Overnight I loss a pound and 3% of my body fat. Or they are inaccurate, so take with a grain of salt.
  • vampireebunny
    vampireebunny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I've definitely looked into cheaper smart scales, but a lot of the reviews on the more inexpensive ones aren't great. I guess I'll shop around some more! The reason I was really looking forward to getting one is to be able to connect it to an app, as well as measuring my BMI, body fat %, lean mass, bone density, etc... however, if it isn't even accurate, then I wouldn't spend the money. That's too bad! I just felt like measuring something other than my weight would have been more motivational; i.e. seeing my bf% go down even if my "weight" stays the same. Thanks again for everyone's opinion :)
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    How about measuring your waist, hips etc and being motivated by seeing those figures change?
  • smeebles
    smeebles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I picked up one on amazon that was 28 bucks. Has lots of good reviews and syncs well with the health app in my iPhone
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Definitely try measuring yourself with a tape measure. I use an app I can add all the measurements in to track the results - super satisfying! And if the scale hasn't moved but I've lost an inch of two collectively then I'm a happy bunny!