*** Crockpot Mexican Casserole - Low-Cal & YUMMY! ***

Options
This is a recipe for a very easy Mexican casserole dish that is prepared in a crockpot. I serve it with warm tortillas and a dollop of sour cream for my family. For myself, as I am diligently watching my calories, I wrap it in a large lettuce leaf to make a mini-burrito of sorts. It could also be served on a salad or with tortilla chips. It's delicious, and it tastes great leftover!

Crockpot Mexican Casserole

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 can corn, drained
1 can beans, drained (I use Great Northern beans, but you can change it based on your preference.)
1 jar salsa (30 ml) (I use medium chunky, but again, base it on your preference.)
1 cup uncooked whole grain brown rice
2 tsp ground cumin
fresh cilantro, chopped (Use as little or as much as you want. Personally, I love the taste of it and add lots!)
2 cups water
1 cup shredded cheese (I use a fiesta blend.)

On the stovetop, cook ground turkey thoroughly until it is brown through. Transfer browned turkey to crockpot. Add corn, beans, salsa, rice, and cumin. Stir until ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Add water; stir again. Cook on low heat for approximately 6 hours. Before serving, add shredded cheese and replace lid until melted. Makes 8 one-cup servings.

Nutritional Facts per Serving:
Serving Size: 1 cup (approximate)
Calories: 315
Total Fat: 9.6 g
Saturated: 3.4 g
Cholesterol: 59 g
Sodium: 1142 g
Potassium: 399 mg
Total Carbs: 34 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.7 g
Sugars: 7.5g
Protein: 20 g
Vitamin A: 9.3%
Vitamin C: 2.6%
Calcium: 12.6%
Iron: 9.1%

Replies

• Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious & uber easy!!!! thanks :)
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    that sounds good thank you for sharing
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    sounds delish, going to have to make this next week!!
  • Nikki206
    Nikki206 Posts: 69
    Options
    Sounds delish! Especially on a bed of lettuce for a taco salad of sorts. Love your burrito idea but I am too messy for that. I always end up with food on my shirt hahaha. :laugh:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good, but why would you cook the turkey before you put it in a crock pot for six hours? When I make salsa chicken, I use raw chicken. Is it because of the rice? Just wondering, thank you!
  • tjandjmkahrs
    tjandjmkahrs Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, I think I'm going to give it a try this week!! :smile:
  • sunnylv
    sunnylv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I was wondering what to do with all the beans in my cabinet. I will make it this weekend!

Lisa
  • sarmancar
    Options
    Sounds really good, but why would you cook the turkey before you put it in a crock pot for six hours? When I make salsa chicken, I use raw chicken. Is it because of the rice? Just wondering, thank you!

You could probably add the turkey in raw. I just happen to have a bit of a raw food phobia. I cook almost everything first! LOL.
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sounds very tasty! Thanks for sharing!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for posting!