Exercise struggles

I have been consistently meeting my calorie goals over a month, but I continue to struggle with getting regular exercise. I work full time, have about a 40 min drive time to/from work (with taking son to school), and with all the other things to get done at home, I struggle finding time. I did great the week I was on vacation because I had free time. I am trying to find something to do at home because I know I will be more successful with it. We have a membership to a trampoline park and I love that because I can get exercise while also having fun with my son. If I could just find something I enjoy doing at home. I am considering buying a cycling bike and giving it a try. Any suggestions? I know everyone is different and has different preferences with workouts, I am just struggling to find my niche.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    One thing you might want to try is to increase your non-exercise activity. I have a Fitbit and I get most of my daily steps in small spurts rather than one large time block.

Think of times when you sit or stand still but could be moving. I walk when I make tea, I walk while food cooks, I walk while doing laundry.

Every little bit helps.
  • Ktmom19
    Ktmom19 Posts: 65 Member
    That's a nice place to start. I am sure all those small bouts of walking add up. I do not have a fitness watch but was planning to get one for my bday soon - that's beside the point. I will give your walking advice a try though.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2018
    You tube has tons of quick 5-10-15 min workout routines. Pic a few and give them a try.

I personally like HasFit. I just have a couple of their routines, and Nerdfitness's bodyweight routine jotted down on my phone so I can do them wherever. If I don't have time to do 3sets all in one go, I will break them up as it suits.

There is lots you can do just upping your daily activity to burn calories. (Link will be added below)

Cheers, h.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • phke5716
    phke5716 Posts: 10 Member
    Are you familiar with MET? Basically it is a way to measure your energy spent (calories) during activities. You can find a list of METS here (https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories) & here (https://www.fastslimbody.com/calories-burned-lifting-weights). To calculate how many calories you are burning during various activities, take your BMR (per hour) and multiply by the MET, which will give you kc burned per hour. For example, say you want to know calories burned while cleaning floors. According to the compendium (https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/home-activity) that is about 3.3 METS (2011).

Example: BMR=1800 -> 75 kc/hr -> 75*3.3=247 kc/hr [4.125 kc/min].

So, if I was cleaning floors for 30m, I would burn roughly 123 calories.

*This is the best BMR calculator on the web (in my opinion). I paid a good amount of $ to have my doctor conduct the x-ray/radiation body fat % check and the BMR result from the test was almost identical to this calculator: https://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I work out at home almost exclusively. Mostly with Leslie Sansone videos. I also like HASfit on YouTube. If you are having trouble getting started commit to 10 minutes per day (walking is a great starting point). Once you form the habit start increasing your minutes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Getting a bike is a good idea so you can bike with your son. Go hiking and swimming with him as well. Skating, rock climbing, skiing, etc. are other fun options you can do together. Go for a walk after dinner. On your own you can do videos. You can use hand weights or do body weight exercises while cooking or watching TV.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited August 2018
    You tube is jam-packed with exercise videos. I use a treadmill during the rainy, cold seasons. I bought mine off face book for $100. It's a commercial grade with incline, hr monitor, built in routines all the bells and whistles and only a few hours on it. Pop your laptop into the holder and enjoy a video while you walk and the time will fly bye. And don't forget..4 ten minute walks have the same benefit as a single 40 minute stretch. So you can grab a few minutes here and there. Once you see the results you'll be hooked. Seems that everyone can find lot's of time to be online or watch tv but nobody can find 40 minutes to workout and invest in themselves. Anything is better than nothing...Good luck
  • FreeFrederk
    FreeFrederk Posts: 2 Member
    Lately I’ve been doing workouts on YouTube-HASfit like others have mentioned, Popsugar Fitness & Bodyfit by Amy are my current favourites. There’s a really cool free app you can use too called Sworkit, you can set how long you want your workout to be & it syncs with MFP. I only exercise at home, I used to spend a fortune on dvds but there are loads of free options now 😊
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I get up early and do a workout video every morning. Get it done and out of the way before anything else can come up to interfere with your plans. You can always add in something else later if your schedule allows. If your workplace has stairs, you can take a stair walk during your breaks or just go the long way around and up/down the stairs to the copier/restroom (etc) as you go about your day.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Getting a treadmill for my basement was the best thing I ever did. It is so easy and convenient to just pop down there (for even 15 or 20 minutes) before my shower in the morning.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I have a treadmill and that is easy for me. But people are right about YouTube - there are great low impact workouts for just about any time you have to spend.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Youtube has scads of yoga videos that are 10-15 minutes long.
    That short is easy. ( I know I can do it!)
    Maybe you'll find you like it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2018
    Some people put a trampoline in their back yard!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    I also recommend workout DVDs. I started with 30day shred and now love insanity and asylum dvds. T25 is also a good place to start. I don't know the age of your son but I have an 8yr old, 7yr old and 4yr old and they love joining in the dvds so we get a whole family session!
  • ecrosby512
    ecrosby512 Posts: 55 Member
    How about jumping rope?

When I worked in an office, I tried to get bits of movement in during the day- like parking on the far end of the lot; taking the stairs in the parking garage; taking the stairs between floors; getting up from the desk every hour or so and stretching and walking around, if you have the freedom to do that. Taking a 20 minutes walk at lunch.

I really sympathize, it’s tough to sit all day. (Maybe I’m making a wrong assumption- if you’re a nurse or a waiter or a landscaper- more piwer to you!)