Low cal fish tacos?

Options
I wanted to make some fish tacos for dinner. Any low cal recipes that you all can share? I know I will probably use tilapia since it's cheap...

Thanks so much! :D

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I "cheat". I buy premade frozen grilled fillets(not fried). I heat them up, then break thm up and put the meat into tortillas.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Salsa, black beans, lime, cilantro, on a thin corn tortilla :)
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine as long as you bake or broil the fish and stay away from the cream sauces..A good salsa and some 2% cheese will be good.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Fish taco!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Kikislove2 got it right..... =) enjoy your tacos
  • mmelaragno
    mmelaragno Posts: 162
    Options
    I am now a vegetarian, but when I did eat meat we made these all the time. Make sure you use cabbage instead of lettuce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/fish-tacos-recipe/index.html
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Yep. . .I used tilapia or swai

In a skillet on the stove medium heat. a little extra virgin olive oil

Lemon pepper
    cayenne
    black pepper
    sprinkle progresso italian bread crumbs

Then I use mission white corn tortillas just heated in an egg pan. . no oil (soft)

sauce. . . plain yogurt. . . cayenne. . . and a squeeze of fresh lemon

top with shredded cabbage or romaine
    tomato
    avocado
    tapatio hot sauce if desired. .

So good.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    LOVE the fish taco! And I agree, you really can't go wrong, nutritionally, as long as you stay away from the creamy (read: mayonaisey) sauces. But if you make your tilapia well, perhaps grilled and moist and delightful on the inside, you won't need the sauce. Blast a little bit of Tabasco (jalapeno, the green, I think would be good, or the chipotle...mmm...chipotle...) and some black beans, or OOOO a little mango-habanero salsa! Throw in half the salad bar, what the heck! +drooool+

No, I don't like either fish or spicy foods... ;-)

Pj
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You can also sub lettuce leaves for the tortillas...
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Salsa, black beans, lime, cilantro, on a thin corn tortilla :)

Yum. . . I so know what I am having for dinner now. .
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can skip the cheese..no good with fish anyway, use sliced avacado instead--provides healthier creamy element that doesn't overpower the fish. Also, its good to have sliced purple cabbage for a crunchy element.
  • acoleman3
    Options
    If you feel you need a little "cream" sauce that is low-fat....I use plain non-fat yogurt, chopped up jalapeno's, and just a little sprinkle of the Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. Tastes just like the sauce at the restaurant, but 1/8 the calories. Love, love, love fish tacos!!! :)
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I take good firm fish fillets (cod, mahi mahi -- NOT NOT NOT tilapia) and douse them with Zatarain's blackened seasoning. Then I grill them.

I serve them in warm corn tortillas (often on the grill). Cabbage is a must for the topping. Tomato is good too, as is avocado. I can get a really good Southwest Tartar sauce from my farmer's market, so usually I use that. Sometimes the same lady has a Southwest cole slaw that works really well.

Fish tacos are one of those things that really don't need to be hard or complex. Simple really is better here.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I take good firm fish fillets (cod, mahi mahi -- NOT NOT NOT tilapia) and douse them with Zatarain's blackened seasoning. Then I grill them.
    I would have to second the not tilapia thing. Tilapia tends to get pretty muuuushy in a fish taco.
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, yummmm!! Love fish tacos!!!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Love the ideas of using pre-made frozen fish fillets, and of using lettuce leaves instead of tortillas!
    Not that I have anything against the delightful tortilla, mind you, but I *have* veggies in profusion just now.
    Think I'll have to go to the store, hmm.... Great ideas!

Pj