NEED HELP!!!!! Healthy lunch suggestions?

Options
So I've only been at my lifestyle change for 2 weeks. Already I am tired of my easy lunch options, Lean Cuisine, Lean Pockets, Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, etc. I swear when I open the freezer I would rather not eat at all than smell another Lean Pocket cooking and considering that Lean Pockets are the new lunch time fad a work...it's happening a lot haha. Today I actually drove to the grocery store on my lunch break because I was craving fresh fruit so bad. I also purchased one of the healthy choice cafe steamers, ate about four bites of that then downed a ton of fresh fruit and pitched the rest of the meal.

This is leading me to believe that my body is craving more fresh food options. I'm not talking all fruits and veggies but I'm thinking about actual home cooked healthy meals that aren't coming in some freezer package. What I need is some ideas of some easy foods that I can prepare ahead of time that are easily packed for work lunches. I need a variety because the only food I don't get tired of easily is ice cream and obviously that is how I got in this position lol. I just don't want to end up giving up down the road because I got tired of my healthy food options. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!! :smile:

Replies

• nh18
    nh18 Posts: 5
    Options
    Despite how "lean" a Lean Pocket may be, you could easily get away with eating a turkey sandwish (low- or fat-free turkey breast) with two pieces of whole wheat bread, and a salad or some Baked Lays potato chips.... all which equal around the same calori and fat content as a Lean Pocket
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of veggies and fruits for lunch. Sometimes throw in a hard boiled egg. Some sort of protein (peanut butter on celery, tuna, or a small sandwich). Sometimes I add in a carb, some whole grain crackers. Baby bell cheese is awesome and ther are low calorie options. I eat very clean, so most of what I eat tends to be homemade. But, there are tons of lunch options that don't have all the sodium that you get from freezer meals. You just have to put them together ahead of time.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Lean Pockets are good in a pinch but they are not very filling considering the calories. You could get more food for less. I make my lunch every day. It usually consists of a sandwich, fruit and something crunchy/salty (ie. baked chips, sun chips, etc.) I make sandwiches with the 100 calorie sandwich thins, some deli meat, and then I put 1/4 avocado to get some healthy fat and maybe a touch of mustard. I also use the 90 calorie flat out wrap bread, so you can try experimenting with those and making different wraps and sandwiches...fill it with some salad greens to get some veggies and more fiber. That's what I do.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    well no wonder, those things are gross and have little food value, they are very very processed. low calorie sometimes means that there are so many chemicals in it that the body cannot digest.

anyway, enough of the lecture 'm sure that's not what you wanted. I throw in a bunch of fruit into my bag, on my low cal days I have an ensure shake, or you can try getting some small wraps and make little mini wraps for lunch. sandwichs are pretty ok actually, but i hate sandwiches unless someone makes them for me.

but honestly, I usually make enough food for dinner that i have leftovers.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    make your own tuna salad (I make mine with plain yogurt instead of mayo) or egg salad on a low cal whole wheat with some fruit is my lunch many days. I also eat a soup & sandwich. you can take a ready made pizza crust & fresh toppings of your choice & microwave fresh pizza at work. at least once a week I eat a cobb salad
    a fresh BLT - nothing better
    eat your veggies - just chopped or steamed veggies is a great change from fast food & energizes you all afternoon
    and of course fruit - I eat fruit every day with lunch or afternoon snack
  • Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I pack turkey or ham, a whole grain sandwich round, one ounce of lowfat cheese, mustard and/or light mayo separately. At lunchtime I assemble the fresh sandwich. Add a variety of fruit or fresh veggies along with pretzels or my new fave a serving of wheat thins crisp stix. Changing types of mustard and cheeses will also give you something to look forward to each day. Once the weather gets cooler, you can add a serving of soup instead of chips or pretzels. Hope this gives you some new ideas.
  • madeline31692
    Options
    I don't know if you cook for dinner, but I will always try to make a little extra for lunch. Leftover whole wheat pasta with veggies keeps really well, I even bring turkey burgers on sandwich thins (really yummy if you add fresh herbs and onion to the burgers). Steam-in-bag veggies can be tasty and portable, and there's some variety.

Lunchmeat on whole wheat is wonderful, but I try to buy low sodium if I can.

Raw veggies and fruits are great and fast bur you know that. Lately I have been bringing lots of little snack-type of foods for lunch because I am REALLY short on time. Things like pre-portioned nuts (only a few!) are filling. String cheese is lo-cal and filing...also whole wheat tortillas or chips and hummus and no sugar added applesauce.

Salads and sandwiches can seem like a lot of work to me, because I always end up spending time chopping the veggies to add to it...I've had success with chopping 3-4 days worth of veggies on Sunday (carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, etc whatever you like on a salad.) Then I divide a bagged salad in into 2-3 tupperware containers. I can throw on a cup or 2 of pre-chopped vegetables, add a few nuts for protein and a few whole wheat crackers for energy. I keep a lite salad dressing in the fridge at work and voila! a big fresh salad that takes like a minute to put together in the A.M.

Well, hope that helps!
  • adventuring
    Options
    I love doing wraps. Find a good whole wheat wrap (something made with actual whole wheat flour, not enriched wheat flour, and with the minimum amount of ingredients) and then fill with whatever you like. I spread fresh garlic on the wrap before I stuff it. I like to put in chopped red onion, tomato, jalapeno, raw broccoli, raw spinach, and romaine. Then I put on a homemade sauce that I like. I dunno if it would suit your tastes, but you could give it a shot. It's balsamic vinegar, a teeny bit of olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic and tomato.

If you did something like that, you could easily take it into work. It's super simple to make, too—just a lot of chopping. When I'm at home, I put the wrap in the oven at 350 for four minutes to let the garlic and some sriracha hot sauce bake into it, and it's extra delicious that way.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I used to always pack dinner leftovers for lunch at work the next day.
  • amwharton
    amwharton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat leftovers for lunch I tend to eat more than I need to. I have 2 go to options. 1. "Taco" salad - lettuce (with whatever salad veggies you like), some black beans, salsa, and a few tortilla chips with some fruit or yogurt. 2. Homemade vegetable soup (you can add variety with the types of veggies you add) with barley or beans depending on what I have on had. I make a big batch on Sunday and eat it all week.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    hummus in a pita with lots of veggies (cucumber, peppers, onion, grilled zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms...) with some fresh fruit and a yogurt; skinny cow cheese wedges (2) with crackers, raw veggies or a salad (with a light dressing), fruit and/or yogurt; I many times will bring much smaller portions of dinner from the night before. Or parts of dinner from the night before. Sandwiches on whole grain bread or sandwich thins, cooked or raw veggies, yogurt, boiled eggs, nuts (make sure you measure them!), almond butter, fruit, all are good lunches
  • nikip6454
    Options
    I try to make enough for dinner so I can have leftovers for lunch too! I have a full kitchen at work so I can make anything I want so I am probably not much help! But some things I like to make and eat during my 30-45 minute lunch...

Bagel with avocado, turkey and tomato
    Chicken Breast sauteed in sun dried tomato vinegar dressing with mushroom and artichoke over rice
    Salads with tons of veggies and turkey or chicken or egg
    Soup
    Boca/Garden Burgers
    Greek yogurt with berries

Hmmm I eat a ton at work!
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i usually try to do left overs from the night before. or you can always make a salad up. or turkey wraps (i add a little coleslaw to mine for some crunch). or buy a rotisserie chicken 1000 things you can do with just one of them.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had an Unwich from Jimmy John's? If you skip the mayo/cheese/vinaigrette most of them are under 200 calories. You could do the same kind of thing on your own with the iceberg head of lettuce, Oscar Mayer Deli Select Meats, Grey Poupon Mustard and whatever veggies you like.

Another option is a quick tuna salad with 2 packs of the 2.6 oz Starkist tuna (80 cal each), a tablespoon of light mayo(I use miracle whip) and a teaspoon of relish. Or if you need the protein/calories how about adding a hard boiled egg!
  • LABClark
    Options
    I used to eat the same kinds of lunches as you, and I got sick of it too. I also started paying attention to the sodium levels and suspiciously long ingredient lists of some microwavable so-called healthy foods, and doubt I will ever go back. I have a few ideas for you. All take a little pre-work, but are easy to put in a container and bring to work for lunch.

Veggie Hummus Wrap: http://tinyurl.com/3bjykep This recipe uses homemade low calorie hummus. I use dried garbanzo beans instead of canned, which takes longer, but I find I can make this over the weekend to use during the week. Canned is totally fine as long as you rinse them. It is easy to cut up and prep the vegetables for this at the beggining of the week and just put it together before you leave for work.

Lentils with Red Pepper & Feta: http://tinyurl.com/3tzsgeh This has a lot of protein and fiber, so a cup of this and a small yogurt will probably keep you full a lot longer than some other options. I add cucumber to this for a little crunch. Lentils cook quickly, so I find I can make this up Monday morning while I am eating breakfast and watching the news, and have plenty for the entire week.

Garbanzo Bean Salad: http://tinyurl.com/3bxegrm This is great if you like Indian spices. Also high in protein and fiber, and can be prepared ahead of time. I use fresh jalapeños instead of the canned chilies called for in the recipe.

I hope this helps!
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hint: if you have a freezer where you can store stuff at work, and a microwave, you don't have to keep Lean Pockets in there. I have a big bag of broccoli, a big bag of spinach, and a big bag of unsweetened blueberries in my work's freezer.