Birth Control Pills?

What are your thoughts regarding Birth Control Pills and Muscle growth?

Do you think it makes it harder to lower body fat and obtain muscles?

Any studies or correlations you may have read/heard?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2018
    Im sure there's been a thread about all that at some point...

@sardelsa @gottaburnemall any ideas?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I competed in my first two bodybuilding shows while on birth control. I had no problem gaining muscle or losing body fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    There was a thread a while back, one user said she had issues bulking with birth control since it can decrease testosterone levels (which helps muscle growth). Also it can increase cravings in some which can make weight loss difficult. But in the end many women have made progress on birth control, just do your research and pick one that is right for you.

Here is the thread

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10650758/females-only/p1

If you want more information Stephanie Buttermore has a fantastic video on the subject.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2e5Lh8jtEX8

• SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    I'm not an expert but I can offer my anecdotal advice. For me, BC pills made me blow up, they weren't as bad as the shots, but I did have a harder time with it. I came off them and found it a lot easier, as well as a decrease in my mood swings :) But my experience may not be the norm.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Copper IUD is often overlooked in the US - Paraguard (non-hormonal)
  • CheekyChiq88
    CheekyChiq88 Posts: 109 Member
    I think birth control affects everyone differently. I never had good experiences with oral birth control ever!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    I take it, no problems with gains or bulking.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    A build up of copper can also contribute to oestrogen and other hormone issues, so much depends on your personal system, some can use coils or oral contraception with no problems but there are many for whom it plays Havok with their systems. There was a suggestion that having copper door handles rather than standard ones in a hospital would reduce hospital acquired infections. (so what does that say for the integratory of our insides)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I was on the pill (alesse?) for 7+ years...no problems losing weight and then maintaining weight.

I had a copper IUD for 2 years after having my first baby. It fell out (don't worry about this...it won't go unnoticed if it falls out); had no trouble losing weight and maintaining weight with it.

Husband had a vasectomy; I highly recommend this method.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    I've been on BC for like 12 years. I have recently lost quite a bit of weight (60 lbs) while trying to maintain the muscle I have, I haven't noticed any real problems related to weight loss and BC. I am debating about stopping my pills after I have my tubal ligation in a month (If things suddenly change after that I can report back).