Stressed Out

How do you guys deal with stress. Im very stressed out. Any tips. I go boxing but after the boxing session I'm still stressed. Any tips or advice would help!

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Maybe look up breathing exercises? Concentrating on breathing often helps me erase whatever I'm obsessing about, even if it's temporary.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Have you considered trying yoga (yes, men do) or meditation? I know this seems extreme, but I believe that continued stress over a period of time will ruin your health. You look younger, so try to find a way to deal with it now.
  • angeleyes010974
    angeleyes010974 Posts: 16 Member
    my coworker suggested a couple of apps to me if you have an iphone. Calm and Noisli. Calm is guided meditation
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Going for a long run or swim de-stresses me.
  • LeLum5
    LeLum5 Posts: 26 Member
    MEDITATION! it works! Try doing just 5 minutes to start then increase from there... If you don't know how you can do a guided meditation on YouTube or you can just find a comfortable spot relax your body and focus on taking deep cleansing breaths... If u wish u can play some mellow music ..like jazz to help you relax.. Also you can light a candle or incense and focus on the flame or smoke to help relax your mind from all the thought chatter
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Meditation
    Walking
    Cleaning
    Playing games
    Listening to music
    Crafts
    Talking about what is bothering me
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    When I'm stressed, routine and structure in my day help me a lot. The less mental energy I have to use thinking about things or making decisions, the better.

Also, high intensity exercise helps me a lot - it's kind of an anxiety/adrenaline burn for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Depends on the source of stress. If it's something that I have the power to change, I work on changing it. If it's not, I try to adjust other parts of my life in order to account for/make room for that stress.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Depends on the source of stress. If it's something that I have the power to change, I work on changing it. If it's not, I try to adjust other parts of my life in order to account for/make room for that stress.

This is my thought process as well. I like all the suggestions given as to how to manage stress, but more importantly, what is the source? You don't have to tell us if you don't want to. I'm just saying that maybe finding a solution, if possible, should be the first step.

Stress management is an important skill to learn, though, so try what the others have suggested, too.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Stoicism, Buddhism, Taoism
    All the ism's.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I am going through a brutal reorg at work and it's been going on since May. I have found focusing on exercise (specifically for me, running) helps me feel in control of my life when everything else is up in the air.

True emotional stress makes me not want to eat, so that's been pretty good for my weight loss, though I'd rather take the pounds back and have more job security. There's a different kind of stress that has the opposite effect, though--it's more of a "what if I don't get this done by my deadline?" stress and that makes me want to eat everything.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Question, OP- is your stress a constant thing that's always working in the back of your mind? Or is it an episodic thing that arises in a stressful situation but dissipates when the situation is over? I think the tips depend on what kind of stress you're feeling.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I run. Usually my super stressed runs feel really awful in the moment because I find myself sprinting and then walking and repeat. But afterwards I feel better, plus I got in some interval training so bonus.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    diontre840 wrote: »
    How do you guys deal with stress. Im very stressed out. Any tips. I go boxing but after the boxing session I'm still stressed. Any tips or advice would help!

I do one the following things:
    1. Run. It's my meditation
    2. Lift weights. Better to take out frustrations on weights than people
    3. Wine. Sometimes mama just needs a glass of wine to keep her sanity.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Hike, Yoga, get lost in a captivating book, lift weights, chocolate, and then cardio to burn off the chocolate. Wait. Just forget the chocolate. :D
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Mindfulness meditation helps me.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I pray.
    I read or relax with a good book.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Have you considered trying yoga (yes, men do) or meditation? I know this seems extreme, but I believe that continued stress over a period of time will ruin your health. You look younger, so try to find a way to deal with it now.

There were at least 3 men in my last yoga class. Usually there are 4-6.