Always Hungry!! Lowest calorie, highest bulk?

Options
13»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Protein!! Protein—especially in the morning— and nutrient dense food!! Once I added those 2 things to my life—I stopped eating thru the kitchen at night, I stopped feeling ravenous...and stopped craving things that were less than ideal for my body/health....and unhealthy weight dropped off easily and fast!! And so many more other benefits to my health of course.

zjplgbkjcvb9.jpeg

Wow that's a big difference for 6 months. How tall are you and how much did you lose? If you don't mind my asking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Oh. And MFP calculated 1,210 calories for me at 1lb/week weight loss when that first pic was taken (feb 2018). It took me 2 months to start adding in exercise. Exercise gives me another 250 calories or so....and now that I’ve lost quite a bit of weight and can be even more active in my day, MFP now gives me 1250 calories. The “after” pic was aug, 2018. Protein! Protein! Nutrient dense food!! Nutrient Dense Food!!! 💪🏼🌟🎉😁

No suppliments at all?
  • zilahmessica
    zilahmessica Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 35 pounds. I don’t really get on the scale much anymore—because my body is starting to build lean muscle (for the first time EVER in my life!!!!!)....and I’m now wearing the smallest jean size I’ve ever worn in my life. So now it’s not about the scale as much as it is about how I feel, measurements, and how the clothes fit.

(Easiest weight loss ever. Didn’t have to eliminate or restrict foods). Just add nutrient-dense food. And as said by others—I get in good sources of carbs, fats, sugars and protein. It truly is 80% nutrition + 20% exercise. That’s the magic formula. And nutrient dense food is the key! 💖
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Protein!! Protein—especially in the morning— and nutrient dense food!! Once I added those 2 things to my life—I stopped eating thru the kitchen at night, I stopped feeling ravenous...and stopped craving things that were less than ideal for my body/health....and unhealthy weight dropped off easily and fast!! And so many more other benefits to my health of course.

zjplgbkjcvb9.jpeg

@zilahmessica - wow, how many pounds did you lose in 6 months?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’ve lost 35 pounds. I don’t really get on the scale much anymore—because my body is starting to build lean muscle (for the first time EVER in my life!!!!!)....and I’m now wearing the smallest jean size I’ve ever worn in my life. So now it’s not about the scale as much as it is about how I feel, measurements, and how the clothes fit.

(Easiest weight loss ever. Didn’t have to eliminate or restrict foods). Just add nutrient-dense food. And as said by others—I get in good sources of carbs, fats, sugars and protein. It truly is 80% nutrition + 20% exercise. That’s the magic formula. And nutrient dense food is the key! 💖
    kshama2001 wrote: »

zjplgbkjcvb9.jpeg

@zilahmessica - wow, how many pounds did you lose in 6 months?

You keep repeating "nutrient dense food" across all your posts touting your weight loss. What does that phrase mean to you exactly?

Broccoli? Oats? Black beans?
  • zilahmessica
    zilahmessica Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Nutrient dense is food that is HIGH in nutrients/vitamins and minerals and low in calories. So yes broccoli!! And leafy greens such as spinach and kale; whole grains such as quinoa, and barley.... fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, and pomegranates....oily fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and sardines. There are many ways to get in nutrient dense food. Many people believe if they are going to lose weight—they need to restrict their food to a grilled chicken salad with iceberg lettuce and low fat dressing. Better would be a nice meal of salmon and grilled asparagus and a sweet potato. That is much more nutrient dense. You will FEEL better and less depleted. Does that make sense? You are getting more vitamins and minerals in that meal for almost the same calories as a grilled chicken salad. There are also supplements out there that provide nutrient dense food....and some people make veggie smoothies to load up their nutrient density to calorie intake. Whatever source you can get it from—do! It will change how you feel and make weight loss easier. Once your diet is comprised mostly of nutrient dense food—having something that is nutritionally bankrupt—like a slice of pizza—won’t throw your whole system off. Your body will just crave and beg you for more of the good stuff. Let me know if i can help you more. There are tons of resources out there. And many nutritionists focus on nutrient density. 💖
  • sonyajohnston1006
    sonyajohnston1006 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Your stomach doesn't shrink unless you have surgery.[/quote]

I had no idea, I wonder why I don’t feel as hungry as often now as I did in the beginning-guess I’ll just thank my lucky stars
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options
    Oh. And MFP calculated 1,210 calories for me at 1lb/week weight loss when that first pic was taken (feb 2018). It took me 2 months to start adding in exercise. Exercise gives me another 250 calories or so....and now that I’ve lost quite a bit of weight and can be even more active in my day, MFP now gives me 1250 calories. The “after” pic was aug, 2018. Protein! Protein! Nutrient dense food!! Nutrient Dense Food!!! 💪🏼🌟🎉😁

You look absolutely amazing-thank you so much, I have been slowly adding more and more protein-maybe that is why I don’t feel as hungry-granted I eat a LOT of low calorie veggies compared to most I think but the hunger is not as significant now-will continue to see if this works. Thank you for sharing!!!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I always find that protein, carbs, and fats satisfies. For instance, today for lunch I had eggs and a banana. Was not satisfied until I ate the banana. The exact mix is really up to you and you will find it with experience.
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options
    As an Ayurveda practitioner, I would advise you to add spices and Ayurvedic Ghee (1 tsp a day).
    It will help you with your satiety point.

Thank you!! I will give this a try-I appreciate the tip!!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is my go-to option for a large meal without too many calories. At least 1/2 kilo of vegetables with 100 grams of protein and some olive oil and spices. The bulk of the stir fry is zucchini, bok choy, chard, spinach and celery as these are all low-calorie vegetables with heaps of nutritional goodness. I'll also add carrots, bell peppers, snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, cabbage or whatever else is suitable and laying around.
    I will also make a savoury mince where I use lean beef and add heaps of vegetables (around the same amount as the beef) and black beans. This is served on a bed of zoodles (spiralised zucchini) and add some grated cheese on top. As it has a good ratio of protein, fat and carbs I find it very filling. If a dish is normally served with rice I'll use cauliflower rice instead - it tastes so much better in my opinion. I'll do homemade pizza on a wholemeal wrap and eat just half of it and have a good sized serve salad on the side. Balsamic vinegar is my go-to dressing. Eggs are great. Scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, omelettes, frittata ... they are versatile and a great source of nutrients.

I have found that adding a small scoop of protein powder to my oats in the morning makes it more filling and keeps me satiated until lunch time. When I was losing I had the oats with almond milk, protein powder and either a banana or frozen berries and a good sized dollop of Greek yoghurt on top once cooked. Now in maintenance, I have added flaked almonds and chia seeds into the mix to up the calories.

Buying a cooked chicken or roasting it myself has been a regular occurrence. This can go with a salad, corn thins, bread of an English muffin for lunch and in a stirfry for tea. It can also be used as a homemade pizza topping.

Greek yoghurt with some cacao powder to make it chocolate flavoured, with berries mixed in served with low joule jelly makes a tasty dessert. I add various nuts and popcorn to it now that I have additional calories. Popcorn is a great snack idea too.

You really just have to play around with your macros to find the balance that satiates you best as this will help with the hunger. Your initial weight loss could have been greater because of water loss but if you are continuing to lose over 1 pound a week from now on then up your calories as this will help not only with hunger but also with preserving as much muscle mass as you can. 1200 calories is normally the recommended calorie goal for us that are vertically challenged but some can eat more than that and still lose. You might be one of those lucky ones.
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Stir fry is my go-to option for a large meal without too many calories. At least 1/2 kilo of vegetables with 100 grams of protein and some olive oil and spices. The bulk of the stir fry is zucchini, bok choy, chard, spinach and celery as these are all low-calorie vegetables with heaps of nutritional goodness. I'll also add carrots, bell peppers, snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, cabbage or whatever else is suitable and laying around.
    I will also make a savoury mince where I use lean beef and add heaps of vegetables (around the same amount as the beef) and black beans. This is served on a bed of zoodles (spiralised zucchini) and add some grated cheese on top. As it has a good ratio of protein, fat and carbs I find it very filling. If a dish is normally served with rice I'll use cauliflower rice instead - it tastes so much better in my opinion. I'll do homemade pizza on a wholemeal wrap and eat just half of it and have a good sized serve salad on the side. Balsamic vinegar is my go-to dressing. Eggs are great. Scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, omelettes, frittata ... they are versatile and a great source of nutrients.

I have found that adding a small scoop of protein powder to my oats in the morning makes it more filling and keeps me satiated until lunch time. When I was losing I had the oats with almond milk, protein powder and either a banana or frozen berries and a good sized dollop of Greek yoghurt on top once cooked. Now in maintenance, I have added flaked almonds and chia seeds into the mix to up the calories.

Buying a cooked chicken or roasting it myself has been a regular occurrence. This can go with a salad, corn thins, bread of an English muffin for lunch and in a stirfry for tea. It can also be used as a homemade pizza topping.

Greek yoghurt with some cacao powder to make it chocolate flavoured, with berries mixed in served with low joule jelly makes a tasty dessert. I add various nuts and popcorn to it now that I have additional calories. Popcorn is a great snack idea too.

You really just have to play around with your macros to find the balance that satiates you best as this will help with the hunger. Your initial weight loss could have been greater because of water loss but if you are continuing to lose over 1 pound a week from now on then up your calories as this will help not only with hunger but also with preserving as much muscle mass as you can. 1200 calories is normally the recommended calorie goal for us that are vertically challenged but some can eat more than that and still lose. You might be one of those lucky ones.

Oh my goodness so much great information!!! I have actually done a lot of this so I am glad to see I am already on the same page haha-I have started to bump my calories twice per week to keep my body out of starvation mode and I do 2 cheat days per month where I don’t really worry about my calorie intake too much on those free days... that is just for my mental well being though HA! Thank you so much for taking the time out to let me know all of your tips and tricks, I plan to try out all of it and see what works for me!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness so much great information!!! I have actually done a lot of this so I am glad to see I am already on the same page haha-I have started to bump my calories twice per week to keep my body out of starvation mode and I do 2 cheat days per month where I don’t really worry about my calorie intake too much on those free days... that is just for my mental well being though HA! Thank you so much for taking the time out to let me know all of your tips and tricks, I plan to try out all of it and see what works for me!

What do you think starvation mode is?
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options

What do you think starvation mode is?

When I’m eating too few calories for awhile my body holds onto my weight like crazy, as long as I keep above 1000 calories per day I don’t have a problem typically but sometimes if I notice that my weight isn’t dropping at all within 6-7 days then I eat higher calories than 1200 (usually around 1500) every few days and then my body starts to let go of the weight again and I assume realizes that it isn’t actually starving and doesn’t need to hold onto fat for dear life. If I stop seeing progress or feel worse instead of better then I reevaluate... always tinkering a little with what I’m eating and the calorie intake and looking into macros now and even sodium intake and all of that. It gives me a headache if I think about it too much or take it way too seriously but it’s worth seeing what works best for me. LOTS of opinions and studies and experts to give advice and I try out a lot of things and some work and some don’t for me and that’s ok. Doing great and feeling great so far so hoping to keep it going and make sure I don’t get carried away one way or the other. I also make sure to incorporate my cheat days or else I may get hangry one day and just scream at everyone LOL 😅 I can control myself and what I’m eating but I’m not going to force myself to only focus on what is healthy for my body. I really need some bad days too because that’s just my personality-if I can never eat a regular ice cream cone again I think I’d be pretty upset so I try to find some balance in all of this and enjoy my ice cream cones... as long as it’s not an everyday kind of thing.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    That is actually how your body works. If it was no one would die of starvation and anorexia would not occur. When you don't eat enough your metabolism does slow down a bit to conserve energy but you will still lose weight. However, when your body slows down you also slow down. You move slower, fidget less, take less steps etc. This lowers your NEAT (calories burned before exercise). This is the main culprit to your weight loss slowing down. It is you doing less more than your metabolism slowing down. As soon as you have a good feed you have more energy and what happens? Yep, you move more and burn more energy. This is why diet breaks can work well.
  • lemons_and_kale
    lemons_and_kale Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Protein helps a lot!