New & Ready for change!

Options
I'm Katie. Im 24 from Columbus, Ohio. I've heard a lot of great things about this place that I hope to find to be true. This is the first time ive joined a weightloss community like this, other than Weight Watchers Online years back. I have always struggled with weight my whole life. I had under went a study with Nationwide Childrens Hospital when I was 17 to have the controversial "Teen Gastric Bypass Surgery." Though the study did help, my insurance declined me numerous times. It wasn't until my 21st birthday that i had my surgery. I had many complications and almost died. After 2 sugeries in a 24 hour period and in a medicated coma for 15 Days, I woke up... My recovery was very hard and painful. I was in the hospital for one month before I was released to go home. I am thankful I am here today, and I am thankful for the doctors and nurses who had taken care of me during that time. People ask me all the time if i could go back, would i go back and do it again. I know it put my family under a tremendous amount of stress, especially my mother who was given small odds by my surgeon that i would survive. Now that I look back, there is nothing i would change. I had to make a sacrfice to either save my life or die early (i was 467lbs)... I chose to save my life, even if it resulted in odds of death. About 22 months after surgery, I gave birth and lost my daughter Ava at 22 weeks into my pregnancy, she lived in my arms for 12 minutes. After her death I became a wreck! I fell apart and crawled back into old habits. I didnt even want to see the light of day, and I began to emotionally eat. Though I still can't eat a lot food as a normal person, i noticed that i was eatting the higher fat and sweet foods again..."comfort food!" I was told about this place and i am with hope i can find the support i am looking for and i am an available ear to anyone who might have questions about Gastric Bypass, or general weightloss. I am looking forward to making new friends along this new journey! :)     

Replies

• prettysmart
    Options
    Hi Katie,

I'm Jen. You provide quite a compelling story. I would love to count you as a friend. I am working hard towards a healthy lifestyle. I am working towards introduction of only healthy things in my body. I love encouragement and love to share encouragement with you. be my friend?
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You'll find plenty of support around here.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

What a journey you have had. Congratulations on how far you've already come.

Feel free to add me :)

Deb.
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    Hello Katie! We are glad to have you here. You have already been thru more then a lot people have in their lifetime and I can only imagine how traumatic it was for you. Feel free to add me.
  • prettysmart
    Options
    I've lost 20# using MFP. I have been a runner for many years and an endurance athlete for more than 3, but until I started concentrating on what i was fueling my body with, i did not start losing weight.

This is a great program and I have been able to find sucess here thatI could not find elsewhere!
  • greatdragon
    Options
    greetings from c-bus! and welcome to the site
  • kristenklus
    Options
    Wow your story is touching. As a Mother myself I can't even imagine what you went through!!! GOOD FOR YOU for starting to turn things around. I just started on here as well. GOOD LUCK to you. I wish nothing but the best for you!!