I stoped losing weight :(

Options
Ok, so today is exactly 1 month since I started 1200 calories diet. I was 74~75 kg when I started ( 163~165 lbs).
I'm now 70~70.5 kg ( 154~155 lbs ).
Since two weeks, I've been swimming 6 days a week, for 60 min. I would think this would give better result, but its not the case :/
My food diary is public, so please tell me what im doing wrong?! Im afraid my body wont budge from 70kg!
And I need to lose 8kg/16lbs more! I feel really discuraged for past week when I look at that scale and see Im stuck.
I'm 177cm/5'10" tall, so you could say 155 lbs is healty weight for me, but I have been 136 lbs before and I feel so much better about myself with that weight.
Please help, I'm loosing my motivation here :(

Replies

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements as well as weighing yourself. It could be that you're replacing fat with muscle so you're getting smaller without getting lighter.
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would try eating more, since you are a healthy weight already. Change your setting to 1/2lb a week and eat all of your exercise calories.
  • mery_dur
    mery_dur Posts: 10
    Options
    I didnt take them since begining but only yesterday. I will check again in 2 weeks.
    But its not like im seeing any muscles on me :(
    2 weeks from now I guess I'll know, but till then I'm despairing slowly
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    eat more! 1200 is seriosuly way too low. you should be eating at least your BRM. check what that is first then eat that. forget what MFP says. I uppsed my calories from 1300 to 1570 and I lost 2 pounds in a week.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    i'd try to track your water intake and maybe your sodium. You could be gaining muscle and that weighs more than fat. Your doing really well. Keep it up. :happy:
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein to at least 30% of calories if not more. MFP recommendations for protein is too low. and yes, eat more. 1200 is nowhere near enough for what you're doing for exercise. eat back the exercise calories.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It looks like you lost 10 pounds in a month - that is awesome weight loss! You might be a little unrealistic in your expectations, as it sounds like you're making terrific progress.
  • txtwinsplus1
    Options
    It seems like your body is in starvation mode and is holding on to the fat. I would up the calories you are eating and also look at the foods you are eating. Make sure they are not "empty calories". I'd suggest increasing your protein everyday and reduce the carbs.
  • diana77
    diana77 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i didn't loose anything for about 1 month and 1/2 ,totally on a stand still. But what was litteraly falling off was inches alot of inches. Then all of a sudden the scale started moving like crazy every week. Patience i think you are loosing inches keep doing what your doing the scale will start to kick in once again...:bigsmile:
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough.

Use this to calculate you basal metabolic rate (BMR): http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

From what I calculated for you, you should be at 1500 net calories AT LEAST. This means that with exercise, your net calories should be at around 1500. Your BMR is the number of calories your body needs just to survive, without exercise.

I had mine set to 1200 and I stopped losing weight. I found out my BMR was between 1600-1700 calories, so I started eating more. I have finally started losing weight again.
  • mery_dur
    Options
    It looks like you lost 10 pounds in a month - that is awesome weight loss! You might be a little unrealistic in your expectations, as it sounds like you're making terrific progress.
    You are correct about me being not the most realistic or patient person in the world :)
    I checked my BMR and it's 1510 calories/day.
    Im still not sure about upping my calorie intake, since I get kilos on me so fast :/
    I read about this starvation mode and plateau, and frankly this just confuses me.
    What I can say is, Im not giving up on swimming every day. I love it.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    At least you started! I've been running three miles a day for six days a week for six and a half weeks and I've lost two pounds in that time--I think. tomorrow they might be back, I never know with my water fluctuations.

And I second what other people are saying--1200 is low for a woman of 5 feet tall, much less 5'10. I'm a tall girl too-and my doctor yelled at me for trying to go below 2000. I finally saw the two pound loss when I ate WAY more than I thought I should be eating (2300+calories!!)

I'm hoping that I get to eat this much and continue to see drops. I always thought "starvation mode" was an overused myth like ADD. Real, but over-diagnosed and used as an excuse more often than not. Now I am not so sure...

I'm interested to hear your experiences after you up your calories to see if they mirror my own. I hear you on the despair--I struggle with it myself.

I take heart it what my doc told me--my resting HR was way WAY down. "Your body is making changes, even if you can't see them."

So my health is improving, even if my pants are still cutting me in half!
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    You are correct about me being not the most realistic or patient person in the world :)
    I checked my BMR and it's 1510 calories/day.
    Im still not sure about upping my calorie intake, since I get kilos on me so fast :/
    I read about this starvation mode and plateau, and frankly this just confuses me.
    What I can say is, Im not giving up on swimming every day. I love it.

I know it's hard to think about increasing your calories-- I was nervous about it too. But, you aren't losing weight now, so why not try and see if it works? I was where you are at now, and I lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks after increasing my calories to 1600 and not losing any for almost a month of living off of a net calories of 1200.
  • mery_dur
    Options
    I guess I can try what most of you are suggesting.
    I'll up my calories on 1500. With more protein, less carb. For 2 weeks.
    I'll see how it goes, and I'll keep you posted.

Should this 1500 include negative calories as well? For example I burn around 400 calories swimming for 60 min. Should I eat 1500+400=1900 calories total?
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    I guess I can try what most of you are suggesting.
    I'll up my calories on 1500. With more protein, less carb. For 2 weeks.
    I'll see how it goes, and I'll keep you posted.

Should this 1500 include negative calories as well? For example I burn around 400 calories swimming for 60 min. Should I eat 1500+400=1900 calories total?

Yes, 1500 should be your net calories, so if you burn 400 calories swimming you would need to eat a total of 1900 calories to get 1500 net calories.
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    maybe your losing fat and gaining muscle because muscle weighs more than fat and try to stay within the carbs and fat i dont think itll make a difference as long as your in your calorie limit, but give it a try :) hope this helps
  • Mollywater
    Mollywater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think you need to give it a few weeks. Frankly, you have only been doing this for a month AND have already lost 10 pounds!!! That's awesome and way more than most people do in their first month! Your body is probably just adjusting. Give it another week or two, and then SLOWLY add back a few more calories, like a hundred more and then give that a week or two. I am one of those people who, if I eat all my exercise calories back, gains weight. I know people say this can't happen, but it does sometimes. So just add a little and give it time to see what your body does. Everyone is different.
  • mery_dur
    Options
    maybe your losing fat and gaining muscle because muscle weighs more than fat and try to stay within the carbs and fat i dont think itll make a difference as long as your in your calorie limit, but give it a try :) hope this helps
    I really hope that is the case.

Thank you all for suggestions.

I've adjusted my food diary on 1500 calories.
    I'll bump this topic in 2 weeks, with weigh in and new measurements, as some of you are curious to see the result.
    Best of luck to everybody~ I feel a little bit better after reading your posts :)