Protein powder for a picky taster?

Options
I've been vegetarian for more than a year, and my protein sources are mainly soy products, protein bars, nuts/nut butter, beans and legumes. I am interested in supplementing protein powders into my diet as well, but so far I've had little luck with them.

I've tried a plant-based protein powder from Costco (forgot the name for it but I remembered the taste. Disgusting), a sample Vega chocolate pack and another cappuccino sample pack from a lesser-known company (it was complimentary with my protein bar purchase). I can't really wrap my taste buds around the grassy, chalky and artificial taste from the three that I've tried.

Would love some recommendations on good protein powder brands/flavours. I'm open to any type of flavour as long as they don't taste grassy/chalky. I just don't want to invest >$30 on a 400-500g container, and end up wasting it.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Can you buy it a place where they refund or replace your purchase, no questions asked?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I add so much stuff to my smoothie that I never taste the protein. Between the cacao, turmeric, algea ...
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Lots of supplement shops have sample
    Sachets, pop into your local one and see what they have
  • ashleyallen87
    ashleyallen87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a bag of Iron Vegan, the chocolate "athletes blend". My first time trying a vegan blend and while yes it is slightly more chalky then other non-vegan powders Ive tried, I honestly dont thing its bad at all! Tastes pretty good.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Eggs? I assume if you're vegetarian you don't mind eating eggs? They're a great source of protein. Also, milk is good too.

I'm not vegetarian but I can't stand protein powders, I've never found one I like.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What are you using it for? If you’re mixing it with other things like fruit or yogurt, you could buy a plain unflavored powder.

Many protein powders are whey-based. If you eat dairy, then you have more options.

If you are looking for a flavored vegan powder, Orgain is my favorite.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I like PB2. Peanuts go well with chocolate.

You may also try whey protein isolate and flavour it as you like. I get mine from Bulk Barn.

For home made flavours try the Torani flavour free syrups. I like hazelnut.

My third favourite is brown rice protein which is very mild.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    jjjhearts wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian for more than a year, and my protein sources are mainly soy products, protein bars, nuts/nut butter, beans and legumes. I am interested in supplementing protein powders into my diet as well, but so far I've had little luck with them.

I've tried a plant-based protein powder from Costco (forgot the name for it but I remembered the taste. Disgusting), a sample Vega chocolate pack and another cappuccino sample pack from a lesser-known company (it was complimentary with my protein bar purchase). I can't really wrap my taste buds around the grassy, chalky and artificial taste from the three that I've tried.

Would love some recommendations on good protein powder brands/flavours. I'm open to any type of flavour as long as they don't taste grassy/chalky. I just don't want to invest >$30 on a 400-500g container, and end up wasting it.

Is whey protein ok? BioChem natural whey protein powder only has a handful of ingredients. (I find the vanilla option overwhelmingly vanilla.)

There is a 1 oz sample size. If you contact them they will probably mail you one for free or tell you where to get one.

http://www.biochem-fitness.com/100-whey-protein-natural-flavor
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I find plant based proteins have a chalky taste/texture... Whey doesn't.
  • jjjhearts
    jjjhearts Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I do eat eggs and dairy so whey isn't an issue for me. It's just been frustrating trying to look for protein powders that are both affordable and tastes decent; there's only so much I can take away from an internet review about the taste, texture, etc.

I guess sample packs are the safest bet for now... I have been considering using the Costco one at home to make homemade protein bars, but the vanilla flavour is so overpoweringly and artificially sweet that I shudder to imagine the time, effort and electricity spent to make something that might not turn out good :neutral:
  • jjjhearts
    edited August 2018
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    What are you using it for? If you’re mixing it with other things like fruit or yogurt, you could buy a plain unflavored powder.

Many protein powders are whey-based. If you eat dairy, then you have more options.

If you are looking for a flavored vegan powder, Orgain is my favorite.

I've heard good things about Orgain; if they have samples available I'll definitely consider trying them out!
  • jjjhearts
    Options
    I add so much stuff to my smoothie that I never taste the protein. Between the cacao, turmeric, algea ...

Mine at home is vanilla flavoured, and extremely strong that I still taste it through the fruit...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

I do eat eggs and dairy so whey isn't an issue for me. It's just been frustrating trying to look for protein powders that are both affordable and tastes decent; there's only so much I can take away from an internet review about the taste, texture, etc.

I guess sample packs are the safest bet for now... I have been considering using the Costco one at home to make homemade protein bars, but the vanilla flavour is so overpoweringly and artificially sweet that I shudder to imagine the time, effort and electricity spent to make something that might not turn out good :neutral:

I'd take the Costco one back and tell them you find it inedible and want a refund.

Quest makes a PP for cooking. No vanilla or other flavorings, no sweetener. Haven't tried it myself yet but other peeps here have. https://www.questnutrition.com/products/multi-purpose-mix-2lb-canister

In general, look at ingredients. The fewer the better. Sounds like you probably should avoid all sweeteners.
  • MeganMow
    MeganMow Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Body Fortress is what we like in my family, I like to mix the vanilla or strawberry with OJ and the chocolate type ones with milk or water. It's usually whey I think. They are usually at Walmart or City Market/Kroger, and relatively affordable.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Everybody has a different opinion on this - it also will depend on if you just use water to mix it or milk/soy. Personally I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey and they have a lot of flavors... most of which make me legitimately grimace or even gag. However, I found that their Double Rich Chocolate in water tastes very similar to the Yoohoo chocolate drink, and I like me a Yoohoo. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Since whey is okay for you, try Quest protein powders (it's a whey/casein/milk protein isolate blend). I've tried several of their flavors and like them all. Current favorite is Cinnamon Toast Crunch. The casein and MPI makes it thicker than a pure whey shake, which (IMO) improves the texture (I don't like thin/watery shakes).

You can buy them in single serving packets to try them out, so you're not wasting the cost of a whole tub if you don't like it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like pescience protein powder in snickerdoodle best. Their peanut butter cookie is also good, but I'm not a fan of the chocolate flavor. Quest salted caramel is also really good, and they sent me single packets to try when I contacted the company. I used to use spirutein many years ago and they sold single serving packets as well.
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life Raw meal vanilla. It has 20g protein per scoop and flavor is pretty mild. Definitely give it a chance blended with the basic budget smoothie: banana, cinnamon and almond milk. It is sold in sample size packets too.
    Good luck on your search!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about both Quest and Dymatize. I know Vitamin Shoppe sells sampler packs of Quest.
  • lesbarkhouse
    lesbarkhouse Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I buy all my whey protein from myprotein.com. it is hands down the best tasting in all flavours for a pretty clean whey... Clean meaning little fat and carbs. The only flavour I don't like is cinnamon roll because it's really sweet. Rocky road, double chocolate mixed together is my favourite but they're good alone too.
    Besides that mocha and natural vanilla are staples for me too. I even buy 11lb bags of mocha when it goes on sale.