Back Stretches

Does anyone know any good back stretches? I'm thinking of taking an advil or Tylenol to alleviate the soreness but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Advice..

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    try this - http://www.fitness.com/exercises/exercises.php?c=search&keywords=lower+back+ I also recommend ice. Feels WONDERFUL

keep moving, take anti inflammatory, drink plenty of water & rest
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,095 Member
    Your hamstring and gluteus muscles are tight. Try these exercises:

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/specific-hamstring-stretches-back-pain-relief

You'll need to take tylenol or ibuprofen too. Do these stretches everyday and incorporate stretching in your daily workouts.
  • I have chronic back pain so do daily stretches to help relieve the pain.

I hope these descriptions make sense

Pelvic tilt - stand straight and slowly tilt your pelvic bones forward and then backwards ... do this a few times, in a gentle rocking motion.

Seated pelvic tilt. Sit comfortably, both feet on ground and back straight. Lean back onto rear pelvic bones then slowly curl up your spine, ending with dropping your chin to your chest (this should end up with you curled forwards. The slowly uncurl your spine, starting with lifting head then straightening spine, ending with leaning on to the front pelvic bones. With this stretch you can breath in as you curl up & breathe out as you uncurl.

Spinal twist - with arms hanging loosely, slowly twist to the right then left allowing arms to swing loosely; do this a few times then lift arms so they are in front at chest level and continue twisting right and left; lift arms above head, and continue twisting. Drop arms to chest level as you do a few twists, then return arms to haning loosely. This should be done i a constant flowing movement, and as you raise arms you are focusing the twist on different parts of your spine.

Backward stretch - place hands on lower back and gently lean backwards, hold for a second then stand up straight. Repeat a few times.

I hope I have explained these ok - they are really simple to do; but often putting something into words makes it sound more complicated than it is. another tip I was given by physio was to get one of the large gym balls, and sit on a chair, place both arms on top of gym ball and gently roll forwards & backwards

xxx
  • Thank you ladies they are all very helpful :) I'm thinking my sleep position might be some what of a culprit too.