Food Tracking Accountability

Options
I am struggling with logging EVERYTHING I eat. I have the app, I love the barcode system too, but I am still horrible at this. I know diet is most important and I feel frustrated with myself in this area. Any suggestions? Have a positive day smiley:

Replies

• linda9150
    linda9150 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use my food tracking to help plan my food for the day. I am, also, terrible at tracking, I find it easier to edit my food plan after meals, my level of integrity/honesty seems to increase. I have found it better/easier to not sweat the fine details, just focus on if the info is nutritionally correct, rather than brand, etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself why you're struggling. You are emphazising "everything". Are you fretting over minor details - ie weighing salt and pepper? Or are you leaving out the things that really have a major impact - meat, oils, treats? Or is it the technicalities - finding valid entries, mastering the food scale?

Logging is just a tool for awareness, which ideally should lead you to eat just the right amount for you. You decide what to eat, and ultimately, how much too.
  • momto3tolose10
    momto3tolose10 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same problem . I mostly cook at home for entire family (5). A dash of this and pinch of that kind of thing. Portioning weighing and tracking all ingredients adds complexity . I weigh and track pre packaged /ready to eat things. Its the homecooked meals that throwing me off track. Any tips.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I log *almost* everything, and I'm not weighing so I know my daily intake is more than I log.

Things I don't log are:
    A single bite of this or that
    Lettuce or greens
    Dry seasonings
    Mustard
    Pickles

I make sure I am under my calorie goal by about 150 cals to compensate for inaccuracies and omissions.

I'm no expert, but this has worked for me.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I find logging my food for the day in the morning or the evening before really helps. I then just adjust to the specific amounts as I go. Logging before I eat helps keep me more accountable. After a year I also have a large collection built up within my meals and recipes which makes this process far quicker. Adding a new recipe can be a bit time consuming but once it is done it is a huge time saver, and as an added bonus, also doubles up as a recipe book. I use meals for frequent food combinations.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same problem . I mostly cook at home for entire family (5). A dash of this and pinch of that kind of thing. Portioning weighing and tracking all ingredients adds complexity . I weigh and track pre packaged /ready to eat things. Its the homecooked meals that throwing me off track. Any tips.

If your homecooked (HC) meal is a meat dish, you can weigh your portion on a scale. If your HC meal is a casserole, you can either weigh or measure your portion. For example, breakfast sausage casserole. What I do is find a similar recipe to mine. Most will show ingredients, # of servings, and nutrition info per serving. So if the pan is 9x11 and recipe makes 6 servings, take your portion first -- cut casserole into 6 parts, take your part. Then log the nutrition values shown in the recipe. I typically use a site called Allrecipes. Your logged info may not be exact but will be fairly close.