Exercise OUTSIDE of the gym

Options
I personally do not like the gym. I'm only there if the weather does not permit. I find that when I'm in the gym, I'm constantly thinking "When will this be over."

I like to be outdoors, whether it is out for a bike-ride in the park, a run, a hike, swimming, or kayaking.

Exercise is just so much more enjoyable when you are not confined to a room filled with treadmills and elliptical trainers.

Does anyone agree? Or disagree?

Replies

• vinlop
    vinlop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like a little of both. I live in Vegas, and it gets pretty hot here in the summer. I have to exercise inside during those times, and I just put on my music and don't think about anything else. It is almost like meditation at the same time - pretty therapeutic. But, I just came back from vacation where it was perfect conditions to run outside on a great trail next to a river, and I really enjoyed that too.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vinlop. I just came back from a year in Germany, and the weather there was beautiful. I could play badminton and go hiking every day, and it was so enjoyable.
    But, I do like the gym because of the wide range of machines and strength training, and also because here in California it can get to 105 easily, and that's no weather to be working out in. D:
  • jddub28
    jddub28 Posts: 1
    Options
    I prefer to run outside. Up here in Spokane, WA it is about 80 degrees on average during the day but I run about 7 in the morning when it's about 60 - 70 which is perfect. Next week I have the 10k "Dirty Dash" that I am really looking forward to. Going to start going to the gym though for strength training here next week or so.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Even on a frosty morning, rainy day or 40C (>100F) afternoon, I'd rather be out on my bike than working out in a gym.
  • runbikebreathe
    Options
    I like to mix it up a bit! I'll often do my cardio inside, but nothing beats going outside on a nice day. However, I prefer doing strength training at the gym as opposed to home.