Strength Training (Weight Lifting) Rest Days/Plan?

Hi all,
I have been doing strength training for a little over a month now. I have been going 5-6 days and then resting. Usually, I will go M-Sa, or M-F and rest (Sat/Sun). Is this a good idea? From what I have read, for weight lifting, the best option is to rest 2 days - but I cannot find any consensus on how often? Is it ok to go five days straight and then rest on the weekend? I should note, I hit each muscle group twice during the week so I am not doing the 3-day compound focused (using this, from Mike Matthews https://www.muscleforlife.com/muscle-building-workout/):

he 5-Day Workout Routine

Working sets are done with 85% of 1RM (4 to 6 rep range) unless specified otherwise.

Warm-up by doing 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps with 50% of 1RM.

Rest 3 to 4 minutes in between working sets.

Rest 1 minute in between warm-up sets.

Add weight once you hit the top of the working set rep range for one set.

DAY 1

CHEST & ABS

Incline Barbell Bench Press – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press – 3 working sets

Flat Barbell Bench Press – 3 working sets

Face Pull – 3 working sets of 8 to 10 reps per set with 1 to 2 minutes of rest in between these lighter sets

3 ab circuits

DAY 2

BACK & CALVES

Barbell Deadlift – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets

Barbell Row – 3 working sets

Wide-Grip Pull-Up or Chin-Up – 3 working sets (weighted if possible)

Optional: Close-Grip Lat Pulldown – 3 working sets

Optional: Barbell Shrugs – 2 working sets

Calf Workout A

DAY 3

SHOULDERS & ABS

Seated or Standing Barbell Military Press – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets

Side Lateral Raise – 3 working sets

Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise – 3 working sets

3 ab circuits

DAY 4

LEGS

Barbell Squat – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets

Leg Press – 3 working sets

Romanian Deadlift – 3 working sets

Calf Workout B

DAY 5

UPPER BODY & ABS

Incline Barbell Bench Press – Warm-up sets and then 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps per set with 1 to 2 minutes of rest in between these lighter sets

Barbell Curl – Warm-up sets and then 3 working sets

Close-Grip Bench Press – 3 working sets (no need to warm up after the chest pressing)

Alternating Dumbbell Curl – 3 working sets

Seated Triceps Press – 3 working sets

3 ab circuits

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    You can do rest days however works best for you. That routine shouldn't be overly taxing, and there seems to be plenty of recovery time built in with out the workouts are ordered. Looks like you're only squatting 1x week and DLing 2x, so rest shouldn't be much of an issue for you if other recovery factors (nutrition, sleep, etc) are at least reasonable.
  • phke5716
    phke5716 Posts: 10 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am not at all a fan of that program for a beginner. (And I admit I'm not a fan of MM in general.) If you want to do it, it doesn't really matter if you do 5 days in a row and take two off or do one day of work, 1 day of rest, 4 days of work 1 day of rest or any other iteration.

any particular reason you are not a fan of MM?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    phke5716 wrote: »
    I am not at all a fan of that program for a beginner. (And I admit I'm not a fan of MM in general.) If you want to do it, it doesn't really matter if you do 5 days in a row and take two off or do one day of work, 1 day of rest, 4 days of work 1 day of rest or any other iteration.

any particular reason you are not a fan of MM?

I think he's a supplement salesman dressed up as a fitness coach. I hate the long drawn out articles and their formatting (two sentences, image, bulleted points, another image, etc.) I also find it hard to take coaches seriously when their websites are plastered with pictures of them all shirtless and oiled up. I feel like his furniture has to be covered in grease spots.

(Yesterday there was a thread about using Westin Hotel's fitness clothing rental service and a few people mentioned that they had irrational "gross" feelings about it. This is likely my irrational "ick" issue.)

I feel similar. I'm far from the most/best researched person on this site, but I feel like I've been at this long enough to know when someone is full of BS. I don't think MM is full of BS. I think he, at least mostly, knows his stuff. But I also think he's more interested in making a buck than he is helping people or furthering the field.
  • phke5716
    To be honest, once I get down to the 'supplements you should take' portions, I am done reading :#
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    No "trainers" at all. If you work out for a living, maybe. But as a rule, when a guy thinks i should pay him for his opinion, he can keep it. Way more than enough free information out there to move you along until you can "feel out" your own path.
  • MelmothWanders
    MelmothWanders Posts: 47 Member
    If you want more of the science on rest days, I'd recommend Jeff Nippard's channel on YouTube. I enjoy his perspective and breakdown of studies. He, like a lot of folks, seems to lean more towards full body work for beginners. That seems to be the consensus.

That being said, and as a beginner myself, admitedly, I find that your mileage may vary. A lot of the advice I've received is to find what works for you as there are so many variables involved. I'm doing a three-day rotation of Push-Pull-Legs with core work every other session. I'll typically rest one day before repeating the rotation. That's working for me in terms of not injuring myself and making good progress. Is it optimal? Maybe not, but I'm the strongest I've been in the years after a few months of hard work.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    this is a very complicated plan for a person who has been lifting for only a few weeks. How do you know your max numbers to base your percentages off of? What you could manage on day 1 will be a fraction of what you could do after 8-10 weeks of dedicated training. You are missing your newbie strength gains spinning your wheels at weights that are probably too light for you.

If you can pick up a copy of something like starting strength and run that program for a few weeks/months or stronglifts 5x5 that will generate you some actual numbers to work percentages off of.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2018
    I say give it a go. You're a month in the gym, WTH, good time to experiment. None of these movements are really that difficult, with perhaps the Squat, Close Grip BP and the Press. But if you have no ambition to compete as powerlifter, get very strong, etc, then form is only as crucial as too not get injured. However, for the Squat, CGBP, and Press, you might want to seek out some real coaching for that.

Will you make gains on this program? Most likely since you're previously untrained. Will this program sustain you forever? Nope. But no program does.
  • phke5716
    What do you guys think of the 5x5 program (M,W,F) [Squats, OH Press, Deadlifts/Squat, Bench, Barbell Row]? These are here: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/. Says better for beginners? I am at 14% BF now but have done my own program up until a couple of weeks ago.
    edited August 2018
    What do you guys think of the 5x5 program (M,W,F) [Squats, OH Press, Deadlifts/Squat, Bench, Barbell Row]? These are here: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/. Says better for beginners? I am at 14% BF now but have done my own program up until a couple of weeks ago.
    Yes, 5x5 PL is a tried and tested program to build strength for the novice.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Hardly the "end all", I couldn't do that 5x5 stuff regularly, couldnt go back to that, tho it works for when I don't have much time that day
  • phke5716
    hey guys, just want to say thanks for the comments and advice! I did not expect much from a free calorie tracking program and hosted a 'community' but yawl are pretty awesome. I began the program yesterday and decided to not rush the weights (as I usually do). Started at (Squats: 115, Bench: 115, Barbell Row: 95). I definitely 'feel' it more than doing the previous program. I am going to follow it for 9 weeks and will check back in with changes (if anyone cares :open_mouth: ) Took before pics today and will measure (tape) every couple of weeks. Like I said, I want to get from 15%->10% and think this may be a good program to do as a beginner.
  • phke5716
    1 add (cannot really find explanation on the web). Why are deadlifts only 1x5 and not 5x5 like the other exercises?
    1 add (cannot really find explanation on the web). Why are deadlifts only 1x5 and not 5x5 like the other exercises?
    Usual reason given for less volume on deadlifts for the novice is fatigue. Not sure I buy it, but thats the prevailing wisdom.
    hey guys, just want to say thanks for the comments and advice! I did not expect much from a free calorie tracking program and hosted a 'community' but yawl are pretty awesome. I began the program yesterday and decided to not rush the weights (as I usually do). Started at (Squats: 115, Bench: 115, Barbell Row: 95). I definitely 'feel' it more than doing the previous program. I am going to follow it for 9 weeks and will check back in with changes (if anyone cares :open_mouth: ) Took before pics today and will measure (tape) every couple of weeks. Like I said, I want to get from 15%->10% and think this may be a good program to do as a beginner.
    Happy progress and good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2018

Because one set gives enough stimulas to the muscles for a rank novice to gain strength in that particular lift. No need to do more if one will disrupt homeostasis and cause adaptation in such progress will be had.

Hence why 5x5 programs are generally reserved for post novice. 3x5 programs such as Starting Strength gives just as much needed stimulas for the other liftd and yet better recovery so most people respond better to that novice program as far as efficiency of moving onto more advanced programming.