6week Dorian Yates Blood and Guts Review

I just finished my second iteration of the Dorian Yates Blood and Guts workout. In my opinion it is top notch. My workout partner and I try to follow it as prescribed. It isn’t easy mentally or physically but the results are amazing. I personally have not have as much success (strength gain and appearance) with any other program. I highly recommend this workout as it is freely available on YouTube and such. My biggest tip is make sure you are getting the adequate calories and rest you need to maximize gains. I plan to do this for the third time come January.
. utkx68ypr3uf.jpeg

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    What kind of program style is it?
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    High Intensity 4 day Split - Chest/Biceps, Back, Shoulders/Triceps, Legs
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

I wouldn't recommend it with that set up unless you want general fitness.. idealy you want to hit each muscle group 2-3x a week to maximize strength and potential for muscle gains.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2018
    And let's not forget Yates was/maybe still is a steroid user. When your gear, even a *kitten* diet and workout program will make you build muscles.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Research may not show once per week training as being optimal but, if someone prefers a high intensity training style, and it encourages them to eat and rest correctly, they will see gains, especially in strength.

I think we'll all agree that it is better to work hard on a 'less than optimal' program, than work halfheartedly on a science backed optimal program.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    With higher intensity comes higher risk of injury...just wiki all the injuries DY sustained (mainly in his last few years @ the olympia). Something to consider for longevity (sure, some/occasional high intensity is more than ok short term)

OP, not sure why someone would flag your post?
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend it with that set up unless you want general fitness.. idealy you want to hit each muscle group 2-3x a week to maximize strength and potential for muscle gains.

So are @psuLemon it is not “overtraining” to hit the same body part more frequently?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    psuLemon wrote: »

So are @psuLemon it is not “overtraining” to hit the same body part more frequently?

Overtraining is going to have to do with the individual and how fit they are for their goals. 2x a week on most lifts is only going to be enough for some rank novices and not the general lifter who has some training and more advanced lifters.

Personally I bench 3-4x a week, squat 3x a week, and deadlift 2x with appropriate useful intensity & recovery for what my body needs to achieve enough stimulus.