I have decided

Options
I’m not a motivated person. Worse than that, I’m not a disciplined person.

I wake up every day and I have this pep talk with myself. I’m gonna do it today. I’m gonna count may calories. I’m gonna stay under or at goal. I may even look up a 20 workout on YouTube. I have 20 minutes somewhere in this day, right? Today is it!

I don’t eat a huge breakfast, just not my style. I log my coffee creamer, and yogurt or oatmeal or whatever I choose that day. I eat a decent lunch, I log my snacks. I am so good. Until dinner time. That’s when the internal struggle begins.

Either I overeat what I do cook, or I don’t cook and fast food it is. If I eat fast food, I’m not ordering a salad. And let’s face it, they aren’t stellar in their calorie counts anyways. But I NEVER log my dinner. Ever. It’s like I don’t even want to know how many calories I actually ate for the day.

But you know what, I’m gonna start logging it. I’m gonna start facing that I eat way to much for the size I’m supposed to be. I went over my goal by more than 1000 calories today. One thousand. I wonder how often I do that.

I have no idea why I felt like I wanted to put this out there. Maybe I just needed someone to see it. Or just have it in the open. And it’ll float to the bottom of the boards and that’s fine. But I’m going to start being accountable to ME. I’m the only one that can change it.

And who knows, maybe I will look up a YouTube workout this week.

TTFN

Replies

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I saw it and I think this is a wonderful step to the rest of your life. I log everyday - the good, the bad and the downright ugly. It helps me when I wonder how did this happen?
  • teresaacw
    teresaacw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love that post! Sometimes I have tried to think of myself like a science experiment... I'll just track for a week or 2, not trying to change my eating habits just to see what I really eat. Its taken me forever to teach in any type of reasonable basis, but my goal is to do that now and I have since it for 7 days straight and for a year before that off and on. I wish you every good thing in your journey!
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The more you log the easier it will get. You may even find that you want to eat better knowing that you will be keeping track of what you are consuming.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Look into SMART goals, I think you can find something useful.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Options
    squeaker87 wrote: »
    I’m not a motivated person. Worse than that, I’m not a disciplined person.

I wake up every day and I have this pep talk with myself. I’m gonna do it today. I’m gonna count may calories. I’m gonna stay under or at goal. I may even look up a 20 workout on YouTube. I have 20 minutes somewhere in this day, right? Today is it!

I don’t eat a huge breakfast, just not my style. I log my coffee creamer, and yogurt or oatmeal or whatever I choose that day. I eat a decent lunch, I log my snacks. I am so good. Until dinner time. That’s when the internal struggle begins.

Either I overeat what I do cook, or I don’t cook and fast food it is. If I eat fast food, I’m not ordering a salad. And let’s face it, they aren’t stellar in their calorie counts anyways. But I NEVER log my dinner. Ever. It’s like I don’t even want to know how many calories I actually ate for the day.

But you know what, I’m gonna start logging it. I’m gonna start facing that I eat way to much for the size I’m supposed to be. I went over my goal by more than 1000 calories today. One thousand. I wonder how often I do that.

I have no idea why I felt like I wanted to put this out there. Maybe I just needed someone to see it. Or just have it in the open. And it’ll float to the bottom of the boards and that’s fine. But I’m going to start being accountable to ME. I’m the only one that can change it.

And who knows, maybe I will look up a YouTube workout this week.

TTFN

Love your post! Maybe you've just realised that you're only kidding yourself!

Could you pre-log your dinner?
    For example tonight I know im having a fillet of fish, so I'm logging that, I know I'm having salad with it, and because I eat them often I can estimate how much of each thing I will have and pre-log it. Then if I have lots of calories left I might log say 50g of potato and see what that totals up. If I still have enough I might up that to 100g.

Then when it comes to me making dinner I can follow that and also tweak the measurements to the exact number. (but stay close to the pre-log)

I had to log everything for a week regardless of how much it was, just to see what I was working with! Get to know yourself and your own eating habits and be AWARE of them.

I'd recommend finding a video before you intend to exercise. So you don't spend ages looking and then lose motivation or time. And (I don't mean to be upfront) but you can find a video whilst having a *kitten*! So atleast when it comes to exercising you've got the video there and ready and you can just begin.

Also, im a mum of 3 kids 4, 2 and 6months.
    So as you can imagine I lack time. The only time I get to exercise is when they're in bed! So after dinner I get them ready for bed, tidy up dinner (whilst my food settles in my tummy) and then I can exercise.

Good luck!
    And if you find yourself giving yourself a pep talk, just stop it and count backwards from 5 and then get up and do it! It will distraxt your mind from all the excuses you're giving yourself!
  • hartmajella
    hartmajella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That sounds like me. I am fine morning and lunch time, eating high protein and nutritious foods, but then when dinner times rolls around, its like I have no control over myself! I hope I can find a way to get back on track 🙁
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Logging everything is helpful. It gives you information that can help you see patterns or make different choices. Sometimes it can help you see that you do not have to change everything just tweak things a bit.

I have found it helpful to prelog my food for the whole day in the morning. I usually start with logging dinner, then lunch, breakfast and snacks.
    By logging I've found that I typically eat the same amount of calories for the different meals. Dinner is usually about 500-600 calories, lunch is about 400, breakfast 100-300 and 100-300 for snacks. I eat 600-900 calories from around 3pm- bed time. That information helps with planning.

I eat out one meal a week and usually look at the nutritional information in advance and log in advance. At a fast food place I generally can get something that is 400-500 calories. A regular burger, side salad with vinaigrette dressing and unsweetened iced tea is fine. A triple bacon cheeseburger, fries and a shake does not typically work for me as I like to eat more than once a day. Sometimes I get meal salads if I want one but usually get other things. If you like to eat out then get to know what choices fit your goals best.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10536856/fast-food-finds/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10657387/healthy-fast-food/p1