Calling all TRADER JOES LOVERS! :)

Options
Hi everyone! I absolutely LOVE Trader Joes! I always do my grocery shopping there if I'm not at Safeway lol. I had a few questions for some of you tj lovers!

Has anyone tried..

1) Trader Joes healthy smoked uncured black forest ham? It's so good! 0 sugar, fat free & not high on sodium! Is it bad to eat HAM on a healthy diet towards weight loss? Most of their turkey I find is so high on sodium!! I've had tj's ham on Ezekiel whole grain bread with 1 laughing cow cheese wedge.. PHENOMENAL!

2) Trader Joes peanut butter filled pretzels! I just bought this delicious treat today recommended by someone on MFP! Is it okay to snack on these? They're soo good!

3) Whole wheat pita bread.. I had too! Anyone have some delicious recipes?

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE TRADER JOE ITEMS? :)
I'd love some feedback as far as healthy foods and not so high on sodium!!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want on a low calories diet.
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    I shop exclusively at Trader Joes. Food for thought...pretzels are a high glycemic food so you may want to consider an alternative snack.

And yes I buy the uncured ham all the time.
    Try the spinach and sour cream dip or jalepeno cheese spread - yummy.
  • sqenixs
    sqenixs Posts: 6
    Options
    I love the trader joe's brand vanilla soy milk. Best soy milk in my opinion.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want on a low calories diet.

Trying to stay low sodium, sugar, no hydrogenated oils, bad fats.. Etc.
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    You've got to try TJs unsweetened almond milk.
    No sugar and 2 carbs per cup.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's and am so sad they aren't in Boise, or ever have plans to be. For my birthday one year, I had my sister send me ten jars of the Spicy Black-Bean Dip. It's so delicious! I go to Seattle all the time and always come home with lots of Trader Joe's products in my suitcase.

Two-Buck Chuck is the best!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You've got to try TJs unsweetened almond milk.
    No sugar and 2 carbs per cup.

I will definitely pick that up on the way this week! I've been using Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk for months now & I love it! Thankyou for the responses!! :) is it okay to eat tj's ham every other day? I heard it wasn't such a good idea because well.. It's "ham" but tj's has such good products!!

Any snacks you recommend as well? :)
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Some of my faves

almond butter with flax seed
    bagged spinach and salads
    raw milk cheeses ( all of them)
    frozen chicken breast tenders
    steamer clams
    sonoma tortillas
    dried prunes
    raw almonds
    multigrain hot cereal
    non fat plain Greek yogurt
    21 seasoning salute
    olive oil
    no salt added tuna
    salmon burgers (fresh)
    jarlsberg lite Swiss cheese slices
    pizza Olympiad
    cat cookies
    triple Ginger snaps
    dark chocolate covered edamame
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I love TJ's too. I get by corn tortilla/WW tortilla and make wraps out of them (with avacado, cherry tomatoes, chicken/fish, black beans, etc.) .
    I also like their vegetables in a bag - eg green beans (steam in a bag), frozen spinach,
    I get organic chicken, low fat string cheese, oatbran, greek yogurt, egg whites, FF half and half (when some receipe calls for it), etc.
  • roraborealis
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some incredible foods.

I enjoy their Black Bean and Corn enchiladas. A decent small meal of 260 calories. For extra protein, I toss in a light string cheese stick.

I love their multigrain pita chips for a light snack. If I keep it to one serving, it's not an issue. Their hummus is tastier than anybody else's I've found, but it's another one to limit on quantity. But a little bit of something quality is more satisfying than a lot of something mediocre, in my experience.

I like their turkey chili. Their beef chili is also pretty good. High in fiber, good on protein, low in fat.

Also their Greek yogurt. Yum! Lots more protein than normal yogurt. Even plain with fresh fruit is a real treat! I just walked outside tonight and picked fresh blackberries to put on my yogurt in the morning. Couldn't resist eating some right away, though. :D

I also like their dark chocolate. When I'm craving chocolate, just a square or two of their dark chocolate will cover it!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I think the ham is great! The pretzels are yummy but I wouldn't eat them regularly, or too many!

I love their tomato & basil hummus! Yummm!!!!
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Food for thought...pretzels are a high glycemic food so you may want to consider an alternative snack.

So?

Also, when peanut butter is added to the pretzel, it changes the glycemic index of the food anyway.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Any specific reason you're staying low sodium? Do you have a history of high blood pressure in your family? Do you exercise a lot? Do you sweat when you exercise?

What's a "bad fat" by the way?
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Any specific reason you're staying low sodium? Do you have a history of high blood pressure in your family? Do you exercise a lot? Do you sweat when you exercise?

I think "low sodium" is a very relative term, especially in the U.S. where a lot of people consume way too much sodium.
  • maryd523
    Options

Trans-fats. Partially hydrogenated fats. Most saturated fats.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

I agree about the trans fat (although trans fat is found naturally in dairy and beef) but I completely disagree about saturated fat. Coconut, eggs, etc are all good for you.
  • kaur16
    kaur16 Posts: 2
    Options
    saturated fats such as avocado, coconut, eggs are good for you. Coconut oil has high smoking point whereas all other good oils such as olive because of their low smoking point do get converted into some form of trans fat
  • clareruth218
    clareruth218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed Snacks. So delicious. Tart frozen yogurt (even my fiance likes this stuff!) Animal crackers every so often, they're the best tasting in my opinion. And the apricot mango nonfat yogurt.
  • maryd523
    Options

I agree about the trans fat (although trans fat is found naturally in dairy and beef) but I completely disagree about saturated fat. Coconut, eggs, etc are all good for you.

I agree, which is why I said "most saturated fats". I love coconut oil and eggs. I guess I should have just said, "some saturated fats".