Question for the Couch to 5K-ers

Options
I started the C25K program last week. Today was W2D1. The program is obviously scheduled to fit a 9 week span, which is great. However, I feel like doing the program 3x a week isn't enough. I know you need to give yourself some rest, but do any of you do 3 days from one week and start on the next week for the 4th day? Okay, that really doesn't make sense so here's an example:

Sunday: W1D1
Monday: Off
Tuesday: W1D2
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: W1D3
Friday: Off
Saturday: W2D1
Sunday: Off
Monday: W2D2
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: W2D3
Thursday: Off
Friday: W3D1
Saturday: Off
Sunday: W3D2 etc...

Basically what I'm asking is... Do you think one day of rest is significant enough?

Sorry if that's really confusing. It's late and I'm tired. haha

Replies

• Elleebell
    Options
    I am about to start week 3 and I like to do it every other day like you explained. Sometimes I can't fit it in because my toddler is fussy and my husband works late or for whatever reason, and I don't feel bad about it because it's only supposed to be 3 days a week anyway. I think if you feel up to it and you aren't too sore then you can go ahead and do what you want.
  • chryciw
    chryciw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I did the C25K this spring the days I ran varied based on weather, work schedule, etc. On the weeks that I managed to squeeze in 4 days I would repeat the 3rd day. I tried to keep a rest day in between my runs as I have a tendency towards shin splints. I always started the new week on Monday, which made it easier for me to keep track of each week.

PS. Since April I've gone from Week 1 of C25K to running 4-5 miles 3-4 days a week. It really works! :)
  • thomurefamily
    Options
    I would say that one day is fine... I started running with the C25K back in January and this is essentially what I did. Now I do 30 minute runs and try to better my time every week or so. I think you would be fine!
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I liked it so much I did the first week in 3 days straight. Lol... I'll probably start week 3 tomorrow and I started the program 2 weeks ago.
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't bother your knees or joints, then go for it. I do it but not everyday, but I'm heavier and very new to running. So I can't run everyday, but if you are already in pretty good shape, then you should be fine. Just be careful of your joints.
  • shonasteele
    Options
    I'm on week 3. i figured that lots of people do cardio 5-6 times a week so a half hour run/walk would be fine to do almost every day. I ran 6 times the first week but only 3 the second week because I was busier (and hungover). This week I'm planning to alternate a week 3 day with a week 1 day so that I can work on endurance one day, then speed and form the other. Good Luck!
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input! I think I'll start doing it every other day as long as my schedule allows it and I'm not sore.
  • heather7marie
    Options

PS. Since April I've gone from Week 1 of C25K to running 4-5 miles 3-4 days a week. It really works! :)

That is awesome! I hope I'm able to say the same thing a few months from now. WTG! :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

That is awesome! I hope I'm able to say the same thing a few months from now. WTG! :smile:

it really does work!! I started c25k in January and last weekend I ran 17 km - a bit over 10 miles I think :)
  • heather7marie
    Options

it really does work!! I started c25k in January and last weekend I ran 17 km - a bit over 10 miles I think :)

Sweet! Love it! I've always wanted to be a runner, so I am pumped!
  • KevinPMajka
    Options
    I didn't follow a program - but I would be really careful about pavement impact and use proper stretching, warming up, and cooling down.

Just watch the impact on your knees, ankles, and upper things. Pavement is rough.

My first run I was 293 pounds. I was told to run a minute, walk a minute for as long as I could do. (15 minutes, 0.8 miles). It was a dark, cold, rainy April 1st night and I thought I was going to have a heart attack - well not really - but felt terrible while doing it. I did that for a week, and then went to run a minute/walk 30 seconds.... and did that for 5 weeks getting up to 50 minutes.

I started to transition to multiple minute running then, and hit 6 minutes for the first time doing a building flow of 1/30, 2/30, 3/30, 4/30, 5/30..... until a week later I was running late for work and just pushed myself through my .5 landmarks.... and did 2 miles without stopping in about 27 minutes. I was shocked.

3 weeks later, I did my first 5k race without stopping. This all took place between April 1st and June 10th...

Now I'm training for a 10k/6.2 miles. I did 4 miles for the first time last Friday. I never stop now to walk. I'm actually enjoying running.

I'm still big so I do worry about impact so I have followed a Monday/Wednesday/Friday/alternate cardio activity on Saturdays. I do other things on the other days, and always rest on Sundays.

I now weigh 250. Couldn't be happier with the results. Clothes fit better - the weight comes and goes in spurts - but losing 6 inches is such a nice boost when the pounds are slow. Or fitting into that incentive shirt you bought because it was on sale and thought crap I won't fit in that for 6 months!

Whatever route you go just commit. Just commit. Just commit. It's so worth the effort. I never regret the runs once they are done. Get a buddy to do them with you too.

...And yes this was my first post - so I did indeed like your post.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am probably a bad example, but I ran every day. Finished it in a month. If you think your body can handle it, go for it!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just skipped ahead to harder weeks. I'm quite happy doing 3 runs per week when it's harder.
  • Speedy89
    Speedy89 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the program...but after taking a look at it I couldn't agree more, 3x a week doesn't seem like much...I think you might be able to attain your 5k goal quicker if you up the training, just make sure you stay safe and listen to your body. I was able to hit the 5k mark in less than a month, this was back in January, back when I was an overweight couch potato who could barely run a mile, and had just quit smoking, to boot.

If you care to know, here's what I did, not sure if it would work for you, but might not hurt to take a look.

I started with strength training on my legs (p90x plyometrics was excellent for this...though it took me a few sessions before I could finish the whole thing without modifying). I did plyometrics every other day (my muscles would take about a day to heal) and eventually everyday, as I grew stronger. After a couple weeks of that, I just started running as far as I could as often as I could...and my speed and distance increased automatically. I hit the 5k mark in February, haven't looked back since...now I run 10 miles everyday and think nothing of it.

If you follow this tactic though, again, just make sure you listen to your body to stay safe to avoid injury. Don't run if you're still really sore. Avoid hard pavements if possible, and always stretch before and after, in addition to warming up and cooling down.

Also, if you are really serious about running, definitely invest in some solid running shoes at a pro running shop (they should have professionals who observe your running cadence on a treadmill or track, and recommend a proper show to more effectively absorb impact and distribute your weight). I made the mistake of sinking $100 into an expensive pair of Nike's at an outlet before finding out that I was damaging my ankles. After I spraining one of them I decided to invest in more personalized running shoes for around the same price.
  • heather7marie
    Options
    I didn't follow a program - but I would be really careful about pavement impact and use proper stretching, warming up, and cooling down.

Just watch the impact on your knees, ankles, and upper things. Pavement is rough.

My first run I was 293 pounds. I was told to run a minute, walk a minute for as long as I could do. (15 minutes, 0.8 miles). It was a dark, cold, rainy April 1st night and I thought I was going to have a heart attack - well not really - but felt terrible while doing it. I did that for a week, and then went to run a minute/walk 30 seconds.... and did that for 5 weeks getting up to 50 minutes.

I started to transition to multiple minute running then, and hit 6 minutes for the first time doing a building flow of 1/30, 2/30, 3/30, 4/30, 5/30..... until a week later I was running late for work and just pushed myself through my .5 landmarks.... and did 2 miles without stopping in about 27 minutes. I was shocked.

3 weeks later, I did my first 5k race without stopping. This all took place between April 1st and June 10th...

Now I'm training for a 10k/6.2 miles. I did 4 miles for the first time last Friday. I never stop now to walk. I'm actually enjoying running.

I'm still big so I do worry about impact so I have followed a Monday/Wednesday/Friday/alternate cardio activity on Saturdays. I do other things on the other days, and always rest on Sundays.

I now weigh 250. Couldn't be happier with the results. Clothes fit better - the weight comes and goes in spurts - but losing 6 inches is such a nice boost when the pounds are slow. Or fitting into that incentive shirt you bought because it was on sale and thought crap I won't fit in that for 6 months!

Whatever route you go just commit. Just commit. Just commit. It's so worth the effort. I never regret the runs once they are done. Get a buddy to do them with you too.

...And yes this was my first post - so I did indeed like your post.

I feel special that your first post is a reply to mine! Welcome to the message board. :smile: And what a great story!
  • bloodstar
    bloodstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, the most important thing to do is listen to your body. But if you've never run before, I'd suggest taking a little slower then you might think you need. Simply because you aren't used to your body and understanding the little signs that your body is a little broken down and worn down and running a risk of injury.

Ultimately, if it takes a week or two longer to reach a point, that's a small price to pay if it lowers the risk of an injury that could leave you sidelined for weeks or even months.

KevinPMajka is absolutely correct. Running can be rough on the legs, particularly if they're not used to and trained for it. and that's the main reason I urge a tiny bit of caution. I'd suggest some cross training to supplement your running if you're really in a mood to go. Generally once you get up to 3 - 4 days a week, the gains you get from running drop off, and the risk of injury mounts quickly.

hopefully you'll find the advice in the article useful as well:

http://runninginjuryfree.org/2008/08/coaching-running-on-internet.html
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As has already been said you should watch out for yourself if you push harder than the programme.

The program is designed to make sure your tendons and ligaments (and even bones) are evolved without pushing them into injury. You may feel that your general condition can sustain more training, but lthe tissue mentioned above is conditioned a lot more slowly than your general cardiovascular condition.

I would probably advise you to keep to the program and if you feel like doing more exercise do some low-impact training (e.g bike-riding or swimming) on your off-days.

Unfortunately I can say that I speak from personal experience as I usually push harder too fast when trying to build up running and end up with shin-splints, or tendonitis in the knee :cry:
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's ok but I always preferred to have the off days and do something different to be honest. The only thing I would say is go have your gait measured to make sure you have proper shoes - the programme is great, I ran my 5km from nothing back in May.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just did 2 days in one run and I still don't feel wiped.
  • KevinPMajka
    Options
    Agreed on shoes being important and pacing yourself!

While I'm excited that I can run 4 miles now.... being able to run 4 miles in 20 years when I'm 49 would be even better than overdoing it now. Pacing yourself is important. Impact is impact. Too much is bad!