Egg Plant

Options
2»

Replies

• Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Cut it in medium-thick slabs, brush with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper it, then put it directly on the grill until they're cooked through and a bit charred. Do the same with a red pepper for variety and serve with crusty bread, salumi, and cheese. Mozzarella or ricotta is classic, but asiago or sheep's milk feta is good too.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever use the small, egg-sized white eggplants? I have never seen them before this year. They were a free garden plant that was given to me-I have a ton of them and do not know what the best way to utilize them. They're little-the size of a small chicken egg.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    kardsharp wrote: »
    I don't salt it at all, I don't find it bitter. Just picked up some Thai egg plant. They are little round things that apparently you can eat raw.

Are they white? You eat them raw? Tell me more!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    They look like little melons. Green and white skin. White flesh. I haven't tried them yet - they are for tomorrow's dinner. I'll let you know how I like them.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    mjrc2 wrote: »
    Anyone ever use the small, egg-sized white eggplants? I have never seen them before this year. They were a free garden plant that was given to me-I have a ton of them and do not know what the best way to utilize them. They're little-the size of a small chicken egg.

These are japanese eggplants, and the ones they get the name from because they actually look like eggs. I slice them, toss with olive oil and grill. In Thailand they eat them raw with a dipping sauce as crudite. In Thailand they also quarter them and toss into curries.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    One way...lay the slices on a sheet pan lined with paper towels or clean dish towels.

Do you rinse the salt off? I have seen recipes where after salting the food, letting it sit for a while, they rinsed the Kosher salt off.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    One way...lay the slices on a sheet pan lined with paper towels or clean dish towels.

Do you rinse the salt off? I have seen recipes where after salting the food, letting it sit for a while, they rinsed the Kosher salt off.

Dont rinse it off, just wipe it off with a paper towel.

This. You don't need to use a ton of salt or anything and most of it will actually get rubbed off since the eggplant will be blotted by the paper towels while they sit. Anything left can be easily wiped off before using if desired.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I found a low carb eggplant dish that I think is pretty good. You take a good sized eggplant and slice it in two. Scoop out the insides into cubes. Brown some ground chicken, with onion and garlic in a pan, and add the eggplant cubes. Add a 14oz can of tomatoes, drained. Let this cook for about 5 minutes. Place the eggplant bodies on a lightly oiled sheet pan, fill the cavities with the chicken mixture. Top with some cheese - low fat Italian blend (but really you can use anything you like. Pop it into a 400 hundred degree oven for about 40-45 minutes. I like to add Italian seasoning to the chicken mixture, but you could add fresh basil or oregano if you have it. You could add a bit of crush red pepper flakes if you want to kick it up. But as I am writing this, I don't see any reason you couldn't skip the Italian components and go Asian, less the tomatoes.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Slice them in half, place them in a pan with a bit of water and bake for about 20-30 mins upside down.
    Remove from oven, let them cool, and using a spoon remove enough flesh so they look like small boats.
    In th meantime, in a skillet heat a bit of oil and brown slices of onions and garlic over low heat. Estimate about 1 onion and one garlic clove per eggplant. When they onion is golden brown, add some tomato juice or chopped fresh tomatoes, a pinch of salt and sugar, and a bit of allspice or cinammon. Cook a few more minutes.
    Oil a baking dish, place your little boats inside, fill with the onion mixture, add some feta cheese on top if you prefer, poor a bit of tomato sauce in the pan (pasta sauce will do) and bake for 30-60 mins, depending on how tender you like the final result. You might need to add some water in the pan, so check every 20ish minutes or so.
    The nice part is this tastes even better after a day, and it can be eaten without reheating.