Negative Thinking

Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
i went way over on my calories yesterday, didnt exercise and had no water. While I know I need to move on I can't stop the negative thoughts rightnow. Any tips on how to get rid of them?

Replies

• bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Ha, don't worry, I also exceeded my caloric limit today.
    Negative thinking won't get you anywhere.
    Why don't you do something constructive, like plan out your meals for tomorrow? Planning helps in preventing overeating.

Good luck! And don't wallow in your despair!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Honestly its not easy to retrain yourself. But you have to remeber it isnt a diet, its a life style change, and every "bad choice" you make will only help you learn so you make better choices in the future. One day isnt going to kill your efforts if you are devoted.

Everytime I have failed it has been a lesson, A lesson that has helped me lose 66 lbs. I still dont eat "perfect" and "clean" but I eat in a way where Im rarely deprived and still losing. I have over days and WAY under days, I have days I dont log perfectly. But as Ive gone through this Ive gone from OCD to lenient to devoted again.
  • KareyMarie
    KareyMarie Posts: 26 Member
    I posted this for someone else who was having a hard time today, too, because it has helped me many-a-times when I'm feeling down about my decisions in my weight loss journey... "In the end, it's what you do *most of the time* not what you do *occasionally* that matters the most."

Believe me, I know how hard it is to get out of "the funk," but try not to be too hard on yourself. Hang in there and start fresh tomorrow!
  • take deep breathes and remember you are doing this as a lifestyle change, some days you are going to have bad days some days you are going to have goo days and some days you are going to have excellent days you never thought were possible.
    You just have to accept those days as they come, learn from them and change what you need too, to get more good or excellent days than bad.
    The changes will come slowly, but they will surely come.
    As for the negative thoughts deep breathes and remember you are doing so much better than you did before you joined MFP and decided to make a change
    you'll get there, just dont beat yourself up too much on the way.

the trick is to keep breathing.
  • have one beer and relax....going ove your calorie goal isn't the worst thing that can happen to you. you'll do better tomorrow. cheer up...it's a long strange trip and the end result is all that matters, not the journey.
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Try to channel it for the good :) For the rest of week when you work out, use it as a reason to push yourself harder. When you think you want to go over, remind yourself that you already had a cheat day or meal. Don't make yourself feel guilty about it, but when you have a devil and an angel on your shoulder, use it as an excuse to make the devil shutup.
  • tikkamasala
    tikkamasala Posts: 36 Member
    I agree with what others have already said-- remember that retraining your diet and exercise habits is DIIFFICULT (just like changing any other routine). When I go over, I try to figure out WHY (or what went wrong) and then write it in the "notes' section. For example, I've written things like "didn't eat enough during the day then ate way too much at night..." and "shouldn't of had that extra cookie!" and "don't buy sweet potato chips again because they're not worth the calories!" etc... I'm hoping it will help me identify patterns and then I will have some specific targets to work on (or things to avoid doing).
    Most importantly-- don't give up! Doing something and being vigilant about what/when/how much you're eating is the first step! Good luck to you.
  • When I go over calories I just exercise a little more. I found these cute 15 minute "in-bed" routines on Planet Green or Treehugger or something that are super simple exercises to do when you're doing something sedentary like watching TV or being on the computer to burn some extra calories. They remind me of the kind of work out routines that Teen magazine used to publish and I used to religiously do every night when I was younger. They're kind of fun. :)

So really I guess if you feel bad just burn some extra calories and don't worry about it too much. As everyone else seems to have said it's the "everyday" choices that count - every once in awhile things happen and that's normal.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    That happened to me last week. I ate like 2,500 calories in one day and the next morning the scale registered like 4 pounds up! I felt so horrible and fat and gross and weak and all that. But...I just ate healthy like I normally do, and within a day or two the scale was back to normal and I felt fine.

I have been going over like that pretty regularly since I started, and I have had zero problems losing weight. I think sometimes the body likes to get an influx of calories...maybe it reminds it that it's not going into starvation mode. (Just my very unscientific opinion).
  • kristyemilia
    kristyemilia Posts: 32 Member
    "In the end, it's what you do *most of the time* not what you do *occasionally* that matters the most."

I LOVE that!! and totally agree, don't get down on yourself too much, slipping up doesn't ruin everything, its just knowing that it happened and moving forward not thinking, its all over and blowing out of control.
  • kristyemilia
    I was just looking at your diary, have you tried coke zero or diet? or even pepsi max, that would have cut a large amount of calories out of your diet, especially if you really want to have a softdrink, 1 375ml can of any of the above is 1 calorie! YAHOO.

You could also try wraps instead of bread, though I'm not sure if you're melting the cheese or anything. I use mountain bread, normally the rice one.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    I normally do drink Coke Zero. Yesterday was full strength as that's all my boyfriend had.

I do melt the cheese. If I was having normal sandwiches I'd get wrap. Love the rye!
  • kristyemilia
    Yum love rye too!! Check out the wholegrain english muffins or the berg something or other bread -small loaves low cal and carb I think !! Stash some diet at your bf's!!