I want to give up sometimes!

Options
Does anyone have any advice for me. I’ll have a week where I’m motivated and go to the gym 3-4 times and log everything, and then I go though weeks where I’m like eff it, it’ll take forever to reach my goal if I ever even do so what’s the point. So any pointers or tips so stay motivated and positive would be greatly supported! Thanks.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Stop aiming to be constantly motivated, nobody is that. Instead, make a sustainable plan. Do you really have to go to the gym? Are you logging just to log, or to help you eat less? Have you ever considered that keeping weight off, will take forever?
  • andreamariexoxo
    andreamariexoxo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don’t expect to be constantly motivated but I do aim to not be in week(s) long funks when I’m like “who cares about my health”. As of right now I log to stay with in a healthy amount of calories and macros, which for my body is currently resulting in weight loss.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Whether anyone else cares about your health or not, that doesn't change anything. The only person who needs to care about your health is you. So if you're not happy with your weight or whatever then stop convincing yourself it's fine, stop thinking it's unachievable, !
    Stop pressing your inner snooze button and just keep going, even when you really REALLY don't want to.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The philosophy that helped me was... what's the point in not logging? So I can be lazy? Then I will just feel guilty, or regret it later when I am standing in front of the mirror, crying that I should have lost the weight ages ago when I had less to lose. Even if you don't go to the gym, or even if you eat over calories, it's helpful to at least log in order to stay accountable to yourself. It's not for anyone else, or because an app told you to. It's a way to take control of your health and your life, and achieve your goals!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    One thing we need to do in weight loss is to catch, and stop, our brain when it exaggerates things. It will not take forever to reach your goal.

Also, you do not need to get to goal to benefit from weight loss. I’ve lost 100+lbs. But I got loads of benefits at the halfway point.

You don’t say what you’re looking to lose, but focus on 10 lbs or maybe 10%. And try not to be driven by the calendar. Try to get on a downward trend and then consider how satisfied you are with how you are living while doing it.

What’s the point? I found that weight loss was liberation. I was doing less and less living the bigger I got. That’s been reversed.

Also, that voice in my head nagging me to lose weight and berating me for not getting it done has gone silent.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with smaller goals? Are you thinking you have a large amount to lose and it seems like you'll never get there because you're thinking in terms of losing it all instead of losing half a pound or a pound a week? Are you depressed? Does the thought of losing all the weight instantly instead of slowly but surely put you off?

I'd say set small goals and take your time to achieve them. If you want to slowly reduce fattening foods, do it over weeks or months. Don't try to do it all at once, because you'll just stay in a pattern of going all out and then losing focus or hope when it looks like things aren't happening as fast as you want or expect.

It doesn't take motivation in the sense you seem to be thinking of. It takes plugging away every day, and it can get boring, and it can seem hopeless, especially if you're having "all or nothing" thinking. You have to be patient. If you can't face the gym, do something at home, even if it's dancing to your favourite songs in your living room, or jogging from room to room instead of walking.

You don't have to log your food, but instead of seeing it as a chore, think of it as a tool that can help you track what you're eating and identify any areas where you can make different food choices. If things are getting on top of you, consider going to your doctor. You may be depressed and not know it. Your doctor might also be able to refer you to a dietitian who can help you make a start on changing or improving your eating habits.

Start small and be patient. It will happen, but only if you decide to stay on the path once you've embarked on the journey.
  • sharonedix
    sharonedix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dear one its easier than you think, the key is find your why . Mine was to make the pain on the outside greater than the pain on the inside of me . Then as my body began to change so did my why ..your why should be greater than your goals in life knowing this a on going life style that will change your world . Have fun but understand struggle is apart of the journey of life . Your new friend Prophetess Sharon
  • ChristianMomWifeFriend
    Options
    Just keep going. It's taken me 4 years to lose 65 pounds. I'm on my last ten ! It's been on and off just like life. You can add me as a friend. I'm on that site regularly.