WANTED: Healthy Chicken Recipes!

Options
terrordawg
terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
Hi all,

Looking for quick, easy and healthy chicken recipes that I can heat up throughout the week.

Anyone have any tried and true favourites?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,684 Member
    Options
    Day 1
    Roast a spatchcock chicken. Spatchcock by cutting down the side of the backbone so you can lay the chicken out flat on the roasting tin. This is the only position for roast chicken where the breasts are not overcooked by the time the legs are done. You make use use of the fact that a conventional oven is hotter around the perimeter (where the legs are) and cooler in the centre (where the breasts are). This is an occasion not to use the fan assist setting on the oven which evens out the temperature.

Spatchcock and salt the chicken as normal a few hours before cooking. Pre-salting (or dry brining) tenderizes the meat by breaking down protein. If you are going to have the oven on anyway make roast potatoes and roast vegetables at the same time.

Put peeled potatoes cut into even sized chunks in cold salted water and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes then drain. Return potatoes to cooking vessel and shake with a tablespoon of fat (I prefer goose fat, but butter or olive oil is good too) to roughen up the edges for crispier roast potatoes. Put at the bottom of the roasting tray. Shake some veg such as broccoli and cauliflower florettes and a quartered onions with a tablespoon of olive oil in a plastic bag and scatter with the potatoes. You can place the chicken on top or in a separate roasting tray on another shelf. Roast about 35 minutes at 200C (quicker cooking is the other advantage of spatchcocking). I like to use a meat thermometer (chicken is done at 74C), but if you don't have one it's ready when juices run clear instead of pink if you prick the joint between the thigh and drumstick.

Save your chicken bones to make a chicken stock, by simmering carcas for a few hours with a halved onion which you can throw in skin and all.

Day 2
    World's easiest chicken salad is some chopped up leftover roast chicken, a jar of commercial salsa and a chopped up avocado. Serve in soft taco shells.

Day 3
    Avgolemono soup. Cook a handful of rice in a large pot of chicken stock until soft. Turn down the heat to low. Beat together two eggs and the juice of a lemon. Beat a ladleful of the warm broth into the egg mixture then stir back into the soup and turn off the heat. You want the eggs to thicken the soup but not turn into scrambled egg. Toss in some chopped up leftover chicken. Serve with salad as a separate course.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I marinate a bunch of boneless chicken breasts in Italian dressing and then grill or bake on a stone cookie sheet. I then use it for multiple meals in a week.
    -serve with a veggie and brown rice
    -over a salad
    -tacos
    -cut horizontally top with a slice of provolone or mozzarella and pasta sauce for a healthier chicken parmigiana
    -toss with pasta and marinara or light Alfredo sauce
    -THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.
  • GGSerrano
    GGSerrano Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    We only use Chicken Breast Fillets from the grocery, weigh out 200g each serving (about 330 calories).

Bacon Wrapped Chicken - super easy to make, get one breast, place a fresh sage leaf on one side, wrap the whole thing in one strip of bacon (42 calories). To cook, heat up a skillet, use a poker chip size of olive oil and sear one side until bacon is crisp (start with the side with the sage leaf) about 4 minutes and flip to cook the other side, about 2-3 minutes. Serve with a cup of steamed veggies and a cup of rice.

Stovetop Chicken - 2 lbs of chicken breast fillet, 1T Olive oil, 1t kosher salt, 1/2 t Black pepper, 1/2 t chili powder, 1/2 t garlic powder, 1/2 t onion powder, mix everything except the olive oil, rub it on the chicken and let marinate for a bit, heat skillet medium high, add olive oil, sear one side 4 minutes, flip and sear the other side about 2 minutes, switch to low heat and let it cook for about 10 minutes covered, remove from heat and let it rest still covered for another 10 minutes. Serve. Great with sweet potatoes or rice and steamed veggies like broccoli and carrots.

These two are staples in our weekly menu plan, simple and yummy, stores well too.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Last week I had a great salad with chicken - no heating required.

I roasted chicken breast, Cauliflower, mushrooms, red capsicum, pumpkin and steamed Beetroot.

Divided it up in to bags - froze 3 for later in the week. The other two were added to spinach, and avocado. I added roasted chickpeas when I ate them (to stop them going soft). It was delicious.
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    Options
    Yum! Great ideas so far! Keep em comin’! 😋
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Herb roasted chicken thighs with pears, pesto chicken with rotini and pepperoni and blue cheese salad, chicken biryani, white bean and chicken chili, chicken taco soup
    buy chicken breasts and thighs and keep them handy for sheet pan meals or to throw in the crock pot with some seasoning and chicken broth. you can shred and use them in many different ways.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Place a couple of chicken breasts in the crock pot, top with a jar of green chile sauce (salsa verde) and cook. Shred chicken and enjoy!
  • lleesabb
    lleesabb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi very easy but tastes superb. Chicken thighs skinless and boneless , a jar of salsa . Place in crockpot on low 4-6 hours. This tastes like chicken cacciatore. You can shred chicken and put over rice. I just serve the chicken as it is with zucchini and string beans.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    lleesabb wrote: »
    Hi very easy but tastes superb. Chicken thighs skinless and boneless , a jar of salsa . Place in crockpot on low 4-6 hours. This tastes like chicken cacciatore. You can shred chicken and put over rice. I just serve the chicken as it is with zucchini and string beans.

I love salsa chicken. It needs nothing more than chicken and salsa. I usually use boneless breasts. Serve it with rice and a veggie one night and as tacos another.
  • LindsayGii
    LindsayGii Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Marinade chicken thighs in soy sauce for a few hours. Roast in the oven.
  • LizzieRoze
    LizzieRoze Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Chicken Ramen is so yummy and I found a easy way to cook it on a website.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cheats-chicken-ramen

you can pre-cook the chicken in the oven by baking or grilling it and you can add as much veg as you like to bulk out the soup. ^_^