What rules to follow for 5:2 & 16:8 intermittent fasting?

Options
Thanks.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    5:2 - on 2 non consecutive days eat 500/800 cals (I think, for women/men) then maintenance cals on other days.

16:8 - eat your calorie goal in an 8 hour window (for whatever you physique goals are - weight loss, maintenance or gain)
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What do you mean?

5:2 = eat at a steep deficit for 2 days (that's according to preference) then eat significantly more on the other 5 days but in total adding up to a calorie deficit for the week
    IF 16:8 = Fasting for 16 hours/eating within an 8 hour window. You can set the window up according to your preference. Eg. 12pm - 8pm, 2pm - 10pm etc..You still need to be in a calorie deficit in that window.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Two very different concepts.
    5:2 is a weight loss plan only, 16:8 can be used to lose, maintain or gain weight and can be used indefinitely.

For 5:2 "rules" see https://thefastdiet.co.uk/
    But be aware that not everyone calorie counts on the 5 normal eating days. If you are calorie counting then those 5 days should be at maintenance calories.

For 16:8 just eat at your chosen calorie level (if calorie counting) within your chosen 8hr eating window and don't eat outside that window. Just a simple time restriction.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    5:2 - on 2 non consecutive days eat 500/800 cals (I think, for women/men) then maintenance cals on other days.

16:8 - eat your calorie goal in an 8 hour window (for whatever you physique goals are - weight loss, maintenance or gain)
    @livingleanlivingclean
    Later iterations of the plandropped the non-consecutive fasting day requirements, some people simply preferred to do them back to back. I didn't, I was ready to eat after a fast day!.

It was 500 for women, 600 for men. (Roughly a quarter of the mythical average male / female TDEE.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@livingleanlivingclean
    Later iterations of the plandropped the non-consecutive fasting day requirements, some people simply preferred to do them back to back. I didn't, I was ready to eat after a fast day!.

It was 500 for women, 600 for men. (Roughly a quarter of the mythical average male / female TDEE.

Thanks for clarifying.... I haven't really read about it or looked in to it since the first time I heard about it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!