Macros

Options
Just curious how much macros I should be consuming a day. I have lost 50+ pounds and would like to now start building muscle. I am a 19 year old female, weighs 179lbs and 5’8.
I was thinking my macros should be..
carbs 35% protein 35% fat 30%
Should I have more protein and less carbs?
Thanks.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    At least not more protein; if you're going to change protein, have less - 20-25% is okay - of course unless you like a protein heavy diet - no one can stop you from or force you to do anything; I merely recommend from a "optimal health and least risk of rebound overeating" perspective.

But what's your calorie goal?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Do you know your bodyfat%? Calculating your bmi (not always the best indicator) suggests you are still overweight for your height. Trying to gain muscle in this situation may not be the bets idea - you may be better off keeping to your deficit and leaning up before aiming to add muscle (or even recomp). That doesn't mean don't lift now - following a progressive lifting program will help you maintain muscle (or if you're a Newbie lifter you could add some gains in a deficit initially)

Calories will be most important for this.
    That said, I don't determine macros by percentages - I use grams instead. I go for at least 0.8g protein per lb of goal body weight, and 0.35-0.45g fat per lb of body weight as a minimum. Depending on my calorie intake for my goals, carbs generally make up the rest of my cals (although it can be whatever you like)

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I like protein, it helps me stay full and I like the taste! 30% on my end.... no plans on changing it.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Depending on your calorie intake, 35% protein is most likely well beyond the minimum needed. I would recommend dropping the protein some and increasing carbs a bit.