Slim-Fast Shakes

Options
Is anyone using slim-fast shakes to help them with their weight loss? If so please let me know what positives and negetives you have experienced from using them.

I am new to this lifestyle change and am - for a lack of better words - very lazy - which is why I gained most of the weight. I was hoping to use the shakes as a work lunch or a beakfast on the run.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• joooshie
    Options
    Is anyone using slim-fast shakes to help them with their weight loss? If so please let me know what positives and negetives you have experienced from using them.

I am new to this lifestyle change and am - for a lack of better words - very lazy - which is why I gained most of the weight. I was hoping to use the shakes as a work lunch or a beakfast on the run.

Thanks for any advice!
  • renegar
    Options
    i drink a slim fast shake in the morning and have a yogurt and it keeps me from making the trip to the vending machine before lunch. so i guess i would say it works.. :smile:
  • renegar
    Options
    i drink a slim fast shake in the morning and have a yogurt and it keeps me from making the trip to the vending machine before lunch. so i guess i would say it works.. :smile:
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    I have used them for a week to replace my dinner.

Have you seen the nutritional values of the shakes? The sugar in 1 shake is more than my whole daily allowance on here! :noway:

Best to stay away from them. Also, despite what they claim, they are not satisfying hunger for long.

I am also lazy about my food, but I have started to prepack my lunches at home in the morning or the night before and take them to work and it works. Much better and healthier than a shake.

Just my opinion.

:smile:
  • joooshie
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds like really good advice!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I use a low carb chocolate shake when I need a chocolate fix and know that the alternative will have more than 190 calories.
  • pamelaeilf
    Options
    There are alot better shakes on the market than Slimfast. They are convienent and don't taste bad, but they are higher in sugar and low in protien, unless you get the high protien or carb concious ones.

I personally either make my own with protien powder or use Atkins. I like the new Cafe caramel that they have out. They have 15 grams of protien and about 2 grams of sugar (which is about reverse of Slimfast).

You want something that is going to stay with you for a while, otherwise you will start looking for something to eat.

I also get Body Fortress protien at Walmart for under $15.00 for a large tub that makes20-30 shakes, depending on what I am doing with it. They have the basic chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and I seen fruit punch this weekend.

I currently use the vanilla to make a chia latte

In a large container mix
    6 scoops of vanilla protien powder
    1 1/2 cups dry milk
    3/4 cup instant tea
    3/4 cup splenda (you can adjust this to your taste)
    1 1/2 t cinnamon
    1 1/2 t ginger
    1 t cloves

Shake container until well mixed. Use 1/2 cup for 8 oz of hot or cold water. If mixing hot, put in a small amount, mix well and then add remaining. Protien powder will clump if all hot is dumped in at once.

it has 146 calories, 1 gr fat, 9 carbs and 27 gr protien.

Get creative with this stuff. The chocolate makes wonderful hot cocoa, some brands have unflavored, that I make a latte with in the morning.

Hope it helps

Pam
  • ruth369
    Options
    I use them (lunch), although I buy the generic version that walmart sells. Personally, I would rather eat something than drink something for lunch. The only reason I occasionally use them is because I'm on my sales floor and just don't have time to sit down and eat something. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be putting anything in my stomach around lunchtime. I say use them in moderation, but if you have time for a sit down lunch, have a turkey sandwich instead(much more filling):smile:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I always think whole foods are far more nutritious than any food containing supplemental "vitamins." I wonder how much of those your body actually uses, you know?

I would say Slimfast is probably best used as a supplement for those who are trying to add calories to their healthy, existing diet. Not for someone trying to lose weight.
  • terrypacker
    Options
    I have found that if I drink 8 oz of water before and after the shake it allows me to get through lunch and then I can spend all my calories on dinner. If I don't drink the water and only drink the shake I have to snack.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would say Slimfast is probably best used as a supplement for those who are trying to add calories to their healthy, existing diet. Not for someone trying to lose weight.

Sure. Take the same shake, add it to your meal and you'll gain weight. Only if you use it as a substitute for something else - i.e. a higher calorie breakfast/snack - will it help you to lose weight. But the same thing can be said for many other foods.

If you crave a chocolatey snack in the middle of the afternoon, you're better off having a slim fast shake than many alternatives. If you'll eat something else anyway, you're better off skipping the shake.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i used to use them but not anymore. theyre not very effective it doesnt fill u up and has an odd taste but i guess it depends on the person. goodluck
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    i've used them in the past. i actually like the taste. BUT i find that i get shaky later--sugar crash, even with the optima version which is more protein, i believe. so overall i wouldn't recommend them, but i suppose alright in a pinch. good luck with this new lifestyle change!
  • joooshie
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great advice!
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning with fruit for breakfast, but it's pretty much because I cannot get through a day without chocolate in some form so I just have it in the morning in the form of slim fast instead of eating an entire bag of reese's at night.
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    hey! i drink a slim fast every other morning, and sometimes at night to kick start my weight loss i do eat lunch and a few healthy snacks. I try to eat oatmeal or something every other morning and fruit. I do them almost every night so i dont eat heavy dinner is what kills me..........
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    When I was single, I lost 40 lbs by having a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a ginormous salad (lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, mushrooms, chicken or crab meat, raisins, beets, and a full fat dressing) for lunch. Then I would have a slim fast for dinner. I was never hungry, and didn't mind having only the shake for dinner.

I've tried doing that again, but I have a family now (hubby and 4 boys) and we do sit down dinners. I can't just drink a shake while they are eating. Mainly because I feel like I'm missing out on whatever yummies they are having. But also because I don't want them associating a "diet" with skipping meals. If all they see me having is a glass of chocolate milk (AKA slimfast), I'm giving them the wrong ideas.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I used to do the shakes for a while, mainly cause I HATED eating breakfast.
    I have also used them when I know I will be way too busy to eat.
    They aren't the best nutrition wise, but if it comes down to a slimfast outta my car or driving through a fast food joint.... I'll take the shake. :wink:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I personally use only Jay Robb protein powders..................

They are sweetened with Stevia and are more natural than any other "protein" drinks on the market........

You have to mix it yourself, but it tastes GREAT!!!
  • KPuttonen
    Options
    I agree with LeanLioness. :O)
    Make your own protein shake. Add 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal to it. You can get unsweetend powder too and just add a sugar substitute. Stevia is great, its an herbal sugar substitute.
    I also really enjoy the Special K protein waters. They are 30 calories a pack but so far Im full after and it better than drinking a soda pop or other sugary drinks.

82281.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter