Help with binge eating episodes...

Options
Just seeing if anyone has had binge eating episodes and how you overcame them? Was it by medicine, if so what medication, or by reading a book or getting counseling, etc?

I binge eat, sometimes for a couple days, or a couple months and then go back to counting. Need to get it under control once and for all. Thanks!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by binge? Binge is a word that gets thrown around here a lot, generally misapplied. Binge eating usually requires medical intervention.

If you’re talking about chronic overeating, even in the face of your stated intentions to do otherwise, that’s probably not technically binge eating. Maybe attached to OCD, or maybe like me, depression aggravated by long term irresponsiblity.

What worked for me was, no alcohol, filling my drinking time with moderate exercise, and relentlessly tracking my intake. That is plus patience.

Maybe talk to your Dr to start. Maybe consider counseling if you really can’t keep yourself in check.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with @88olds - it is a lot of things.

I can still do some damage on any given day - like yesterday I ate over 4000 calories, and I'm a smallish older woman. I don't do that often, but it was interesting to me that even though I knew I didn't need more food, my mind was telling me to keep eating. I was at a social event that had lots of food available and I've been looking forward to it for a while, so I knew it was coming. Today I'll get back on plan. I logged it as best I could and today I'll probably not be that hungry, but I can still eat when provided the opportunity and the food.

When I first started weight loss, I just logged all my food and tried to stay within calories as much as possible. I started journaling how I felt (what was I eating "at") when I had over-eating events. I learned that I was using food as an emotional coping tool. So that had to stop.

It takes time. I kept working at it and thinking about it and replacing eating with other activities when I felt stressed, mad, bored, lonely, sad, scared or whatever other negative emotions I was feeling. There is always a better solution.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I learned over time to pay attention to my emotions or other triggers, which usually created the perfect storm for BE.

- stress
    - lack of sleep
    - frustration
    -
    I had a binge previously, where I know all 3 of these things were the cause. The key (for me) to bouncing back from it is to not beat myself up too much, that worsens it tbh. But that can be easier said than done I know.

Accept it happened, refocus on becoming more aware of those triggers and just keep going.

PS, counseling can help and some people with severe BED/EDNOS, medication exists that could help, depending on the person I bet.
  • bevsteg
    bevsteg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I call myself an emotional eater and yes, that often leads to binging, sometimes to the point of making myself sick.
    As with previous comments understanding the triggers is the first step to controlling them.
    My main triggers are depression and being upset, anger, being over tired and boredom. 5 years ago things came to a head and I went to see my doctor in tears. I was put onto antidepressants. It took a few years but I am much better now.
    I am learning to change things in my life one thing at a time. Sometimes the big picture is too overwhelming.
    Depression- sorted/ ongoing
    Being upset and angry - quit my toxic job and got a new job that is much better to my emotions.
    I had a wonderful doctor and I believe that counseling could definitely help you, it did me.
    Importantly never hate yourself or beat your self up. You are a wonderful person regardless of what you look like or eat!

And remember it is not a ‘failure’ when we fall of our diet plans, when we splurge and overeat. In fact we are the strongest of all because we pick ourselves back up and keep going each new day.
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, counseling. If you feel you have a binge eating problem the best thing you can do is work with a professional to address it. There's no shame in getting help to live a healthier life.
  • joe00678mfp
    joe00678mfp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    During the craving:
    1. Focus on why you have the craving. What your body feels like. Your mental state at the time. There was a study done on people that were "mindful" during cravings, and found that this reduced those cravings by a significant amount.
    2. Drink 16oz of water and wait for 5 minutes helps as well. If you still feel like eating, then go for it without guilt. Dehydration can sometimes confuse the body into thinking it's hungry (same hormone pathways)
  • tamiraa1
    tamiraa1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've actually been diagnosed last week with BED (binge eating disorder). Tho it's a lot better under control atm, as soon as I'm alone this urge to find food comes back and unable to stop. I'm taking counseling sessions as this is something that your mind thinks it needs. Could be due to a lot of issues like depression, isolation, low self-esteem etc.

If you want to read more information about BED;
    https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/learn/by-eating-disorder/bed