Low Iron and Low Testosterone

Options
I have both....sweet! Seriously, if any of you know of good sources of iron espcially meal replacements and drinks I
would love some suggestions. On the Low T side. Do any of the advertised products for Low Testosterone really work? Safe? Any ideas?

Replies

• dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is real good for protein an iron
  • chuckb24c
    chuckb24c Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all (3)!!
  • joe00678mfp
    joe00678mfp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also, try to take iron (natural foods vs supplements preferred) with vitamin C - it increases the absorption.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

Iron maybe, but protein, the amount you would need to eat for optimal intake is an insane amount...
  • Susie7518
    Susie7518 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love a green smoothie in the afternoon. Spinach 100g. Few Grapes. 1/2 avacado. 200ml Apple juice and berries. Add a spatone sachet and that's over 50% rda of iron.
  • chuckb24c
    chuckb24c Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for your thoughtful suggestions!
  • campbellv2016
    campbellv2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey @chuckb24c I have low iron and my Dr. wanted to try to supplement me with a multi-vitamin before trying actual iron supplements. Notably, my iron is *just* shy of low-normal; I'm on the edge, outside the normal range -- so it's not dangerously low. And my haemaglobin is ok.

After speaking with my doc, a nutritionist and a pharmacist, all 3 told me the best option for my situation was a prenatal vitamin. I was SKEPTICAL. ... turns out it really is a lot of pink-washing and marketing. They are very high in iron and Folic Acid. That's the only difference. I was assured taht some extra folic acid wasn't going to cause any trouble :) The iron supplement has been helping me a lot. I have more energy when I take it consistently (fell off the wagon there for about 2 weeks, and I can feel the difference).

So even though it seems like a strange idea - it's worth considering! (trust me; never ever thought 'prenatal' anything would be for me!).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If a doctor has diagnosed you with these conditions, they should have prescribed testosterone for you if needed, and either recommended an OTC iron supplement or prescribed one. You should ask your doctor about appropriate medical treatment for you.

Not necessarily - if the TEST reading does not meet a certain threshold (at least in the US), the insurance companies will not approve TRT, and as someone who has fought this battle with the insurance companies, TRT is not something that you want to be paying for out-of-pocket (around $400 a month and up, since there are no approved generics on the market).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I'm anemic and pay attention to protein, and don't consider quinoa a "really good" source for iron or protein.

00f61895ccc3daf8ea9a70d6368f86ee.png

I'm including the liverwurst for iron only; don't consider that a good source of protein either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    chuckb24c wrote: »
    I have both....sweet! Seriously, if any of you know of good sources of iron espcially meal replacements and drinks I
    would love some suggestions. On the Low T side. Do any of the advertised products for Low Testosterone really work? Safe? Any ideas?

I don't think any meal replacements and drinks would be naturally high in iron - they'd just be fortified, and in that case, your best bet is just taking a supplement.

I went through several forms of iron before I found one that improved both my iron and energy levels and am currently taking iron bisglycinate.

The linked brand is suitable for vegetarians and vegans, if this is a concern for anyone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Doctor Kellogg would be pleased. He invented corn flakes to lower testosterone to help prevent... Self love. ;)

My son had low iron and was prescribed more red meat. That usually helps.

I don't know much about low testosterone... I do know that anemia and low hormones can be signs of autoimmune issues. If there is no known cause, it could be something to check.

And skip the Kellogg's Corn Flakes. ;)
  • Vegetadad
    Vegetadad Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    TRT is something i can help with if needed.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Methinks someone has an ulterior motive for resurrecting this zombie thread.