Need Running Advice

Options
So I have a few friends and family members who just love to run. I haven't ran in probably close to 15 years. I am very overweight, so I don't know if I should start by fast walking or just running for a short amount of time and then build up. Any suggestions would help. Thank you!!

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would do an interval between a brisk walk and a slow run. This way you can get used to running but also have breaks so you aren't discouraged. Good luck!
  • Midnightsun04
    Options
    There is a program I have heard of called 'Couch to 5k' or something close to that. You start by running 1 min then walking for 5min and repeating for 30 minutes. Gradually it will get increase such as 3 min running 1 min walking until you can run for the full time. Ive never done it, but I;ve heard people that have had success with it! Look it up on google! good luck!
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't really like running as much, but what I did instead was walking. My friend and I walked with our dogs for about 5 miles 3 times per week and in about a month I could see a difference and feel much better. Not to mention the obedience I noticed in my hyper-dog :). I think you should try it first and do what is comfortable for you.
  • Elleebell
    Options
    C25K has good intervals of walking and jogging and progresses as slowly as you need it to (just repeat the exercises in each week until you feel ready to move on) I am starting week 3 day after tomorrow, and I love it!
  • janetj518
    Options
    I am new to this, but it seems like you should start out by walking in order to knowing how you feel and how your body feels. Then gradually do more and slowly incorporate a walk/ jog/ walk/ jog until you and your body get used to "running". Also the couch to 10k and couch to 5k are good tools. Good Luck!!
  • ydeemar
    ydeemar Posts: 44
    Options
    im into c25k for 3 weeks now, it's a brisk walk then run then brisk walk training program which trains you to run 5miles on the 9th week. i got hooked to it because i'm a lazy person and if it's only me i'd rather just walk then be lazy again, but the apps there's a trainor that tells you when to run and walk.
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner myself, and I never had to run in high school cause I was in marching band. I did recently start picking it up and gradual increases in running distance combined with walking seemed to help me. (Run the straight, walk the curves on a track.) I would set a distance goal, even if I ended up walking most of it. I would run/walk every other or every two days. Now I can run 2+ miles without stopping!

It might be easier to start on flat land like at your local high school track. Gradually move into it so you can build endurance and strength. I also use Nike+ to help tell me my distance and motivate me as I go. The Nike+ community is a really great resource too. You can use Nike+ GPS or the Nike+ sensor. You don't have to buy the special shoe though, I just shove it in my sock on the top part of my foot. There's a ton of other running motivators too if you're not into Nike+ like RunKeeper.

Don't forget a good pair of running shoes!

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • kristenklus
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! I am going to look into the c25k now
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I started power walking in february this year. Not so much power in the beginning (being completely out of breath after about 3 kilometers) but I slowly added to my route and I also walked faster and faster. After a while I wanted to start running but I had so many people telling me I shouldn't as I still was quite big, and that I would kill my knees, so I did some waiting. When I got to about 120 kilograms (started at 150) I couldn't wait anymore and I started to run short intervals of my 10 km walk (that I did 4 times a week). In the beginning I walked 10 minutes and then ran 5 minutes, but I got annoyed that I never ran a whole kilometer (I can't run it under 5 minutes), so I changed it to 10 minutes walking and then 1 kilometer running. When I got used to that I added a little to the running and did less walking.

I'm now 110 kilograms and I run 10 kilometers without a problem. Sure, I want to run faster, but it no longer seem impossible to run the half marathon I've signed up for in May next year. I run the 10 kilometer route three times a week, and then one day I run about 3.5 kilometers, focusing more on speed than distance.

So far I haven't had any problems with my knees or legs (knock on wood) but you should always listen to your body and rest if you need to.

Good luck!
    /k
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I liked the C25K program, but found a really cool app called Get Running. It's interval running walking like C25K, but you can listen to your own music and it just politely comes in to tell you to run or walk according to where you're at in the 8 week program. If you need to you can repeat any step as often as you want. No I'm not associated with the app's authors, I just really liked it when I started running again after a foot injury.