Fat & macros help- how much of which?

Options
Hi there.

I am currently using MFP's macro calculator for a 1200 cal diet. (24yr old female, 165cms, 75kgs)

My macros are:

Protein - 60g
Carbs - 150g
Fats - 40g

Under fats it has 13g target for saturated, but for poly and mono they say 0g for each. Does anyone know what I should be aiming for on the other two, as I know they are the healthy fats?

On another similar subject, if I were to lower my carb goals, should I evenly divide those i've taken away between fat and protein, or is there a better way? Carbs have always been my downfall, and I am wanting to lessen them more than MFP suggests but replace them with the best macros to keep as much balance as possible in my diet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    As poly and monounsaturated fat amounts are rarely listed on packages trying to aim for particular numbers is irrelevant. I have just changed both of mine to 20 grams each so they aren't in red but know I get much more than that.
    If you reduce carbs I'd increase protein first. Going up to your body weight, or even more, in kilos will help to maintain muscle mass as you lose weight. Protein is also the macro that many find the most satiating.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The total fat is what matters. The amount associated with saturated fats is a suggested limit not a goal - assigning 0 to the others implies there is no limit. Whether you stick to this recommendation or not is up to you.

I would personally go for 0.8g per lb of goal weight for protein (to help maintain muscle as you diet) and 0.35-0.45g per lb for fats. The rest of your cals can be whatever makes you feel most satisfied and meets your nutritional needs best.

Perhaps consider whether 1200 cals is appropriate for you - did you select to lose 2lbs per week? Reducing this to 1lb would likely give you more calories and potentially make your weight loss journey more sustainable. You should also be incorporating exercise cals, so this will increase your cals too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Goals for poly- and monosaturated fats are erroneously given as 0, but they should have been N/A, as there is no upper limit. The only unhealthy fat is man-made trans fat; beyond that, you should aim for a balanced and varied diet, but aiming for perfection is not the best way to get balance - as little worry and anxiety around food as possible, is your best bet. I have seen the term carbs have always been my downfall so many times in here that I doubt it's something you have come up with yourself; it smacks of scaremongering, which we humans are instinctively eager for, and the media loves to give us, and it's detrimental for our health and wellbeing. Be very afraid of scaremongering!

Your protein and fat goals are pretty stable; when you've reached a minimum of both, your can pretty much fill the rest with whatever macro you want. Adherence to calorie deficit is crucial for weightloss, and for that you need to eat enough, in a way you like. For a woman your height, 80-90 grams of protein and 60-70 grams of fat could be a reasonable place to start.
  • Dayniiie
    Dayniiie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, ill leave it at 0 now I know that. As for too many carbs, I mean i use to work in a bakery and pretty much live off bread based carbs, to the point even I knew it was very umhealthy. I want my carbs to come from good sources, not white doughs like it use to be (i worked out about 900 cal a day in bread based products!) I have changed jobs now and so thats dramaticly reduced already but im a sucker for it. Now ive just gotta work on the refined sugars!
  • Dayniiie
    Dayniiie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh and as for the 1200 calories, im lightly active, but as my fitbit is synced to mfp I eat back the calories I lose though exercise so its only on Sundays where I actually eat around that amount