Activity level and calories

Options
Hello,

My question is about activity multiplier from MFP. I see MFP Activity level matches the Harris Benedict research model when one is selecting his activity level. And there are exercise hours included.

So do we need to enter our calories extra on training day (since we have this oportunity), or just eat the calories what the app gave us.

Thanks

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    MFPs activity level does not include intentional exercise, just your daily activities. Log your exercise separately and the calorie goal will be adjusted.

^This is correct. Activity level does not include intentional exercise.

When you are asked about weekly exercise goals during set up, it's more of a motivational tool and not factored into the numbers.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    MFPs activity level does not include intentional exercise, just your daily activities. Log your exercise separately and the calorie goal will be adjusted.

When you are asked about weekly exercise goals during set up, it's more of a motivational tool and not factored into the numbers.

This is part of what makes the set up confusing. I think people assume that because they entered their intended exercise that it's factored into the target.

OP, your target does not include intentional exercise. That being said, many find the MFP exercise calories overstated and usually eat about 50-75% of those back then adjust over time as they see the results.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

This is part of what makes the set up confusing. I think people assume that because they entered their intended exercise that it's factored into the target.

OP, your target does not include intentional exercise. That being said, many find the MFP exercise calories overstated and usually eat about 50-75% of those back then adjust over time as they see the results.

It is indeed confusing and I wish they would put an explanation there or move it to another section altogether.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It is indeed confusing and I wish they would put an explanation there or move it to another section altogether.

Absolutely, I think having fitness goals is valuable, but if it's not going to alter calorie setup, then have it in a separate section. Maybe complete calorie setup then move on to fitness goals.
  • BeroGE
    BeroGE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hm.. that was confusing, because.
    BMR trough Harris - Benedict (MFP uses Mifflin St. Jeor)

Example for first two levels:
    MSJ - BMR 1720
    Nott Very Active - 1720x1.25 = 2150
    Light Active - 1720x1.4 = 2408

Harris Benedict Multiplier
    HB - BMR 1750
    Little Exercise - x1.2=2100
    Exercise 1-3 hours per week - x1.375=2406

Its been stated that 1-3 exercises mean that your heartrate should go above 65% of maximum for whole duration of your training.

The multipliers give almost identical numbers, but MFP says, one should add calories from intented exercise, and the theory behind HB research model says NO. And tgats wat confuses me.

At the end we come to trail and error :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BeroGE wrote: »

Wise words!
    Estimated BMR multiplied by estimated activity, with the addition of estimated exercise burns and majorly confounded by often inaccurate food logging estimates....

Consistency and the sense to make adjustments based on long term trends really does work,
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Hm.. that was confusing, because.
    BMR trough Harris - Benedict (MFP uses Mifflin St. Jeor)

Example for first two levels:
    MSJ - BMR 1720
    Nott Very Active - 1720x1.25 = 2150
    Light Active - 1720x1.4 = 2408

Harris Benedict Multiplier
    HB - BMR 1750
    Little Exercise - x1.2=2100
    Exercise 1-3 hours per week - x1.375=2406

Its been stated that 1-3 exercises mean that your heartrate should go above 65% of maximum for whole duration of your training.

The multipliers give almost identical numbers, but MFP says, one should add calories from intented exercise, and the theory behind HB research model says NO. And tgats wat confuses me.

Regardless of the equation, it all comes down to trial and error. Real life numbers are going to be much more accurate than any formula.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MFP changed their multipliers awhile back from that ancient Harris 1919 study to much more recent research from WHO based on non-exercise studies.

Just as that Harris BMR equation has been improved too.

Sed - 1.25
    LA - 1.4
    A - 1.6
    VA - 1.75

Considering the Harris equation is only about exercise and not daily life levels, fairly limited.
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get a fitbit or something to that effect. It's more accurate.
  • BeroGE
    Options
    How many kcal would you all log for 1h of weight training at intermediate stage?

My calculations useing average heart beat fall between 350-400 during training
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    How many kcal would you all log for 1h of weight training at intermediate stage?

My calculations useing average heart beat fall between 350-400 during training

1 hour weight training, for me, about 200 cals.
  • heybales
    edited August 2018
    Options
    3.5 x your BMR - that's it's MET's value based on studies with 5-15 reps, 2-4 min rests, and sets.

That is the same MET's value as walking 3.3 mph on level surface - but that is likely non-stressful and major aerobic fat burn.
    Lifting is likely the opposite if done right.

Plus if lifting well, there should be a tad more spent on recovery & repair compared to walking.

HR formula for calorie burn ONLY has a bearing if doing steady-state aerobic cardio with same HR for 2-4 min at a time.
    Lifting should be exactly opposite that, anaerobic and HR all over the place - or the lifting is done wrong.
  • BeroGE
    Options
    A lot of people say that when training, eat big or go home is a must.
    During my observations after years of lifting i see lifting as a very boring process, for example, a set of Heavy deadlift (after the set for about a minute i feel exhausted) afterwards, im just siting there, waiting for the seconds to go by. Im talking about longer rest periods.

So during the training if you use normal volume (not ultra super gym bro high), i cant see a need add more than 300 extra kcal on that day. Sure calories are used still afterwards for recovery, but if youre not doing supersets or trisets is a very light job :) compared with running, biking or such sports.

Forcing muscles to grow via calories is also no go..

IMO
  • heybales
    Options
    Longer than 4 min rests?

I know can be needed once you start going up to max potential, but at some point the extra rest isn't really allowing the weight to go up that much extra, to be useful to training. Unless the training is just form at competition weight perhaps.

As far as the studies and what they used for rests, this is from the MET's database:
    (Morgan, Woodruff et al. 2003) - resistance training, 2 sets of 8 reps, young adults, mean of upper and lower body lifts, 85% maximal load - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942638/
    (Haddock and Wilkin 2006) - resistance training, 3 sets of 8 reps
    (Mazetti, Douglass et al. 2007) - resistance training, squat explosive effort (80% 1 RM)