I need your help! (With meals)

Options
I'm getting ready to start back up with my X-ray program and it is SUPER demanding. 40+ hours in the classroom, 20 hours at the hospital doing clinicals, and 15-20 hours working as my T.A job.

I will take any suggestions for lunches and dinners that are easy to make (I'm learning how to cook) and still healthy. I am slowly getting away from processed foods but sometimes they are just easier.

Thank you for your input!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Can you heat up your food? If so make a healthy dinner and have the left overs during the week for lunch.
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    Can you heat up your food? If so make a healthy dinner and have the left overs during the week for lunch.

About 2 out of the 5 days I would be able to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Turkey or chicken breast lunch meat on whole wheat bread with what ever fillers you want is really tasty. also a salad with low cal dressing egg, chicken, or tuna on it is yummy too.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The very best thing you can do is devote a couple hours on the weekend to cook your own meals. Cook up big batches of chicken breasts, make big batches of tuna salad, cut up veggies, do salad prep, make soups chock full of veggies and maybe some beans.

I could go on, but what do you like? Do you eat meat? Will you have access to a fridge and a microwave? I'd be happy to help, give me a little more info regarding your situation.
  • ktbug82
    Options
    The very best thing you can do is devote a couple hours on the weekend to cook your own meals. Cook up big batches of chicken breasts, make big batches of tuna salad, cut up veggies, do salad prep, make soups chock full of veggies and maybe some beans.

I could go on, but what do you like? Do you eat meat? Will you have access to a fridge and a microwave? I'd be happy to help, give me a little more info regarding your situation.

I like pretty much anything. I eat meat & I will have access to a fridge but some days I won't have access to a microwave. I never thought of the making a whole batch on the weekend. That is definitely what I will be doing.
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    Whenever you have a spare 20 mins, mix up a black bean salad as follows:

1 can black beans
    1 can corn kernels
    1 red onion - chopped
    1 Lebanese cucumber - chopped
    1 red capsicum (pepper) - chopped
    2 tomatoes (chopped)

Mix it all up so it's combined and then divide into 3 separate containers, there is lunch for 3 days. You just need to mix in a teaspoon of olive oil and tablespoon of Lemon juice when you're ready to eat it.
    The salad keeps perfectly right up until the 3rd batch! So tasty as well and only about 330 calories.
    Maybe just have a mint afterwards as it's quite onion-y!
  • ktbug82
    Options

1 can black beans
    1 can corn kernels
    1 red onion - chopped
    2 tomatoes (chopped)

Mix it all up so it's combined and then divide into 3 separate containers, there is lunch for 3 days. You just need to mix in a teaspoon of olive oil and tablespoon of Lemon juice when you're ready to eat it.
    The salad keeps perfectly right up until the 3rd batch! So tasty as well and only about 330 calories.

Thank you for this!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

1 can black beans
    1 can corn kernels
    1 red onion - chopped
    2 tomatoes (chopped)

Yum this sounds good (I'd just put a whole lot less onion so I don't need the mint!).

Making a batch of salad ahead of time is a great idea. Now it's nearly summer again, I'll start making my favourite brown rice and chickpea salad. Sorry I don't know quantities, I just make it up!

Cooked brown rice
    Can of chickpeas drained
    Chopped red capsicum (pepper)
    Chopped carrot or canned corn or frozen peas
    Spring onion, chopped finely
    Baby spinach or rocket.

With a dressing of: olive oil, lemon or lime juice, finely diced chilli, pinch of ground coriander.

Another good idea is to cook something for dinner like grilled chicken breast, salmon or lean pork fillet. Make sure you cook some extras then you can roll it up in a wrap with some baby spinach and low fat dressing. Other veggies like red capsicum would be good too if you have time to cut them up.

Or chop up a bunch of veggies like carrot, celery, red capsicum, snow peas, cauliflower and put them in a few ziplock bags.
    Take for lunch with some hommous (I buy it in single serving tubs) and some ryvita or other wholegrain crackers.

Tuna is a great addition to this too.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Invest in single sized tupperware, a small cooler you can keep with you and some reusable ice packs.

Other easy items to make ahead/and or easily transportable:
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Fruit
    Hard boiled eggs
    Cut up veggies
    Hummus
    Pre-portioned nuts in ziplocs (Unless you're super disciplined and can just grab a single portion out of the bag/can)
    Deli meats, but be careful with the sodium and nitrates
    Protein bars, watch calories & sugar
    String cheese
    Beef jerky
    Jar of peanut butter stashed in the car is great

A great make-ahead meal that would be easy to pop into a microwave:
    Lean ground beef/chicken/turkey
    Diced onion, garlic, peppers, zucchini, summer squash, and other non-carby veggies + HOT peppers if you are so inclined
    Jar of salsa
    Can diced tomatoes (maybe only half depending on how much you're making)
    Brown rice

Season and cook meat; in a large pot sautee onions and garlic in olive oil, salt & pepper until fragrant. Add other veggies and lightly sautee a couple minutes. Add tomatoes, salsa and meat to pot and simmer 15-20 minutes.

Portion out some brown rice in a tupperware, then add the "goulash" and Voila! Super healthy meal you can eat all week. The last bunch I made was muy caliente, I had to put a dallop of plain greek yogurt to cool it down. But YUM still.

Soup keeps great in a thermos.

I also grill up a few pounds of chicken breasts that I marinate in Italian dressing or reduced sodium soy and OJ or pineapple juice. You can do tons with that, I love smearing peanut butter on my chicken breasts

Hope that helps!
  • litelight
    Options
    Most of the time I do salad and a piece of fruit. It's easy to find this lunch anywhere - even McDonalds!
  • ktbug82
    Options
    Thank you everybody!