Is it ok to eat a chocolate or 2 while trying to lose weight?

Options
Is it ok to do this as long as it fits in your calorie goal? Maybe the carb and fat macros will go up than usual. Will this have any problems on my progress? I know weight loss is about calories in vs out but I just wanna know to double check. Usually when I eat a chocolate and few other sweet things my carbs go up by 30grams and fat by like 10grams but protein is under the goal. End of the day I’m under my calorie goal. Should I avoid sweets completely while trying to lose weight or should I keep doing what I’m doing right now?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a great answer - all I can add is that with the correct information, you're able to actually do, not just try. Weightloss is, a you say, about calories in vs out, and while there are things you should be aware of, none of those things change that fact.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have one or two Hershey's minis each day, about 50 calories a piece.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    As long as you are able to stay within your calorie goals, you can eat whatever you want. The whole point is to create a sustainable plan that you want to stick to for the long-term. If you deprive yourself of the things you want, it will make it that much harder to stay motivated.

The only caveat to that is if there is a particular reason you need to eat fewer carbs (if you are diabetic, for example), but even then, there are ways to fit cravings into one's goals. It just takes a little more work.
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Perfectly okay. Just make sure the majority big your calories come from wholefoods.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I eat cookies, peach cobblers, bear claws, doughnuts, chocolate, you name it! And I have had no trouble losing weight. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Moderation is key :).
  • SparklesFer097
    SparklesFer097 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank u everyone!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary. I'm losing weight and eat all kinds of treats, last night I had Popeye's Chicken for dinner!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate every day. I lost 100 pounds by staying in a calorie deficit.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    I have one or two Hershey's minis each day, about 50 calories a piece.

Yummmmmm
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you could eat a diet composed of 100% chocolate and lose weight, as long as you were consuming less calories than you expended. Weight loss comes down to calories.

But you’d be hungry all the time, lacking adequate macro and micronutrients and it generally wouldn’t be a healthy idea. A much better idea would be to fit it into your calorie goals in moderation, within the context of an overall balanced diet.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to do this as long as it fits in your calorie goal? Maybe the carb and fat macros will go up than usual. Will this have any problems on my progress? I know weight loss is about calories in vs out but I just wanna know to double check. Usually when I eat a chocolate and few other sweet things my carbs go up by 30grams and fat by like 10grams but protein is under the goal. End of the day I’m under my calorie goal. Should I avoid sweets completely while trying to lose weight or should I keep doing what I’m doing right now?

What do you mean by "a chocolate or two"? Do you eat whole chocolates at one go?

I think the main issue for you would be portion control. You can eat chocolate, but it doesn't have to be massive amounts at a time.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate, and CarbZero makes my very favorite dark chocolate. It is macro-friendly!

In agreement with a few posters here, it's potion control that is key. One sweet a few times a week won't hurt at all! Especially if you are within your caloric/macro goals and aren't eating an excessive amount of sugar. You should be fine!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Pffffft. Totally had two Oh Henry bars last night...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one or two squares of dark chocolate a day, equalling about 50 calories. Down 125 lbs at present. Not only will chocolate not keep you from losing, dark chocolate contains micronutrients which can benefit you, and eating a small amount of what you love can keep you from losing it and binging on larger amounts.

You can lose weight while eating nothing but Twinkies - one researcher did this! The main reasons not to eat sweets all the time while trying to lose weight are that for most people, sweets are not very filling since they digest quickly, and they can be hard to fit into a restricted calorie diet while still getting all the nutrition you need. But that doesn't apply to eating reasonable amounts within your calorie goals while eating plenty of other good food.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yep... just weigh and track it...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

What do you mean by "a chocolate or two"? Do you eat whole chocolates at one go?

I think the main issue for you would be portion control. You can eat chocolate, but it doesn't have to be massive amounts at a time.

Yes, my brain sees both 3-4 oz bars of chocolate and a half ounce chocolate square as one serving, so what helps me with portion control is a Ghiradelli chocolate square or weighing out chocolate chips.

OP - I have chocolate every day, but usually about 70 calories worth.