Exercising and Pregnancy

Options
Hi all! This is my first pregnancy, and I'm just curious as to what some of you who have had this experience did to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle. I'd also appreciate any recommendations on guides, books, or even instagrams you follow that could help me out.

My personal workout style would be running/walking and weight lifting. Of course I'll be checking with my doctor to see what is safe for me now, but I just wanted to pick your brains since this is new to me!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Follow your doctor's orders/recommendations. That's the best advise to follow.
    As far as working out while pregnant, doctors generally recommend that you do what you normally do, modify as needed (push-ups in the third trimester are probably out due to a belly in the way).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Ask your dr. I was not allowed any exercise other than walking and swimming while pregnant, but not all pregnancies are the same.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Usually they say keep doing what you were doing before for at least the first two trimesters. I did with some modification until I was six months. I did shovel snow though much to the chagrin my my older neighbour and his and.

Ask your Dr. As stated above not all pregnancies are the same
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I was allowed to continue to lift weights but no more than 20 pounds total. Cardio was fine as long as it wasn't a lot of jumping so I did boxing drills. I walked a lot. Also stretched a lot, everything felt so tight lol But like I said and others have said ask the doctor first.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This woman rode her bike to the hospital to give birth.
    Now, she wasn't in labor. She was going in to be induced. But, still, she was 42 WEEKS ALONG!
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/world/asia/new-zealand-pregnant-minister-bicycle.html
    She has an instagram. I think it talks about the exercise she did.
    Course, your pregnancy is going to be your pregnancy. But many women are able to stay very active. My wife ran and played tennis, all the way to about 36-38 weeks.
    Good luck!
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, sudden bending and jerk movements should be avoided. Same goes for jumps. I would be careful/avoid those exercises which engage my abdominal muscles.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Just to add, once you're cleared by your Dr to continue exercising, don't feel too guilty if you can't maintain everything you did before... I am usually fairly active (running, spin, on my feet a lot at work) and had the best intentions of carrying on as before (thinking: I'm pregnant, not sick! I'm nearly 6 months now) but have just been too exhausted to keep up what I was doing! Generally Drs/midwives will advise to be more cautious with weights due to hormone changes loosening your ligaments, & I was also told not to increase my body temperature much as it can cause a drop in BP which is already quite low, & to drink plenty of fluids. Of course we're all different & you might be advised something else completely for your own health :) enjoy your pregnancy :)
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I referred to this site constantly through out my pregnancy and post partem www.girlsgonestrong.com .
    They have great resources for working out while pregnant.
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My doc told me to keep going, and I was lifting 200+ pounds throughout my pregnancy. HOWEVER, you should absolutely get clearance from your doctor. I should add that fatigue in first trimester slowed me down as well as overall exhaustion in the last trimester as well :) And congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Dr. recommendations for sure. I was super fit to begin with so I maintained running through the first 1/2 of my first pregnancy. I was running races up until 20 weeks. Then I cut back and continued elliptical and other lower impact exercises and weight lifting.
  • peaches183
    peaches183 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My doctor says to keep what I was doing before but I stopped the gym because I keep having cramps so I have just been walking and doing bicep curls. Some days I get squats and yoga in if I am ok. Congrats by the way.