PLEASE help me? haha :)

Options
Hi guys,

I was hoping you could give me a tip on something. I'm like 169 lbs, male, i'm by no means huge or anything, i'm reasonably thin, but I still want to get myself down to 150lb and try to eliminate a small gut I have.

The problem is, I tend to eat healthy in the morning, at lunch, and even up to supper time. However, I'll often get home from work around 10 or 11pm and despite how much I try not to, i'll end up eating. It's not always really bad junk, sometimes its just cheese or crackers, but sometimes its also cake or a donut or just something I simply do not need.

Can you please give me the best solution to cut this habit?

Thanks alot,

Julien.

Replies

• kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi Julien,

The only thing i can think of, is go straight to bed when you get home? Or eat small snacks all day and a big meal at lunch! that should get you through.......
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    if it's not in the house, you can't eat it!! Seriosuly, if there were cake and donuts in my house at 10PM... full or not, I'd eat em!! I havel to actually get dressed, put on shoes, get in the car and drive to the store if I want junk! not that it doesn't happen, but less often thean if it's in the fridge!! Good Luck!!
  • sqenixs
    sqenixs Posts: 6
    Options
    try a fullbar. Low in calories, and they fill you up. My friend started taking them and he says they have helped him eat less at meals.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    the only thing that has worked for me it to stop buying the junk! if its here I will eat it!!
  • Mrspaceguy
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Where exactly in Canada, can I buy fullbars? Would i find them at any local drug mart?
  • TinyMcMassive
    Options
    Hi Julien and welcome to MFP!

Snacking right before bed is definitely a bad habit that can be detrimental to weight loss. Try eating a dinner that is higher in fiber and keeping a snack handy that you can munch on before you get home to curb your appetite. This may help to address the problem of getting home and there is tempting food waiting for you, especially if you have no control over it (roommates, etc).

Good luck!
  • greatdragon
    Options
    I am on the other end of the scope, I would say find some extra time during the day to get a small workout in and burn off some extra calories so then you can snack when you get home
  • hauntedwebby
    Options
    What time do you go to bed?

I home from work at 11pm, but don't go to bed till 6am. So I eat dinner at midnight.

Not everyone works 9-5 so the rule about eating past 7pm doesn't work for everyone.
  • Mrspaceguy
    Options
    What time do you go to bed?

I home from work at 11pm, but don't go to bed till 6am. So I eat dinner at midnight.

Not everyone works 9-5 so the rule about eating past 7pm doesn't work for everyone.

I usually work a 3-10 or 3-11 shift so i'm usually home 15minutes after that's over.. I'll usually end up eating my supper at work around 5 or 6pm which is a healthy supper that I eat.
  • TinyMcMassive
    Options
    Your problem is that you have way too much time between your last main meal and going to bed. You need to bring that last meal time closer to your bed time in order to have a chance of eliminating your desire to snack before bed. Your body will make it hard to sleep if it is hungry, which is why you feel the desire to eat.
  • Mrspaceguy
    Options
    Your problem is that you have way too much time between your last main meal and going to bed. You need to bring that last meal time closer to your bed time in order to have a chance of eliminating your desire to snack before bed. Your body will make it hard to sleep if it is hungry, which is why you feel the desire to eat.

The thing is, I heard it's bad to eat meals after 7pm and i usually eat supper anytime between 5pm-6:30pm, but then i'm sometimes working pretty hard until 11 so i end up getting hungry anyway...
  • verair
    verair Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The problem is, I tend to eat healthy in the morning, at lunch, and even up to supper time. However, I'll often get home from work around 10 or 11pm and despite how much I try not to, i'll end up eating. It's not always really bad junk, sometimes its just cheese or crackers, but sometimes its also cake or a donut or just something I simply do not need.

It sounds like you're using food to de-stress ( is that a word?). You need to find another way to unwind after work.

Or you could get up early and exercise the extra calories off. And if you track your food and exercise, you'll know exactly how much you can eat.
  • TinyMcMassive
    Options

The thing is, I heard it's bad to eat meals after 7pm and i usually eat supper anytime between 5pm-6:30pm, but then i'm sometimes working pretty hard until 11 so i end up getting hungry anyway...

Sounds like you work a 2nd-3rd shift hybrid. As hauntedwebby said, the "after 7pm" logic really only applies to those who work a 9-5. I would consider bumping your 'main dinner' up to 8-9pm and snacking at 6-7pm with some carbs such as a peanut butter snack. If you're active during your job, this shouldn't be a problem. Then, if you aren't seeing the weight loss you want, you can work in some cardio in your 'mornings' to try and burn off the excess.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I work til midnight (at home), so I know that I'll be up until around 1AM or so. I don't eat dinner until 8 or 8:30, because I know if I do, I'll be hungry before midnight. I do leave calories available though, because I like a late snack, or treat before bed.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    Maybe this had to do with blood sugar? I eat supper then I usually plan a snack about 3 hours before bedtime. It helps me honestly but I choose my snacks wisely and try to keep it to a balanced snack like making sure if I'm going to have some carbs have some protein or fat with it so it doesn't send my blood sugar skyrocketing and crash while I'm asleep.
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    Just brush your teeth. Nothing tastes good with that minty flavor in your mouth, and sometimes it will even make you not hungry anymore.
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    I was gonna say brush your teeth as well...

But it does sound like you have a sweet tooth! Maybe try lower calorie options like a Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow ice cream, frozen yoghurt or fruit and yoghurt.
    Some low calorie choc chip biscuits (although these can be dangerous if you end up eating the whole pack! lol).
    It doesn't matter too much if you eat late at night, it's more so about how long you give your body to digest it before laying down to sleep.
    They recommend a few hours but I think a small snack is ok, preferably low carb.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I have to agree... the 7pm thing is more appropriate to those of us working a 9-5. I'm sure you don't get up at 7 and have breakfast that early, so you should push everything back a bit! That should help!
  • llachoix
    llachoix Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi - I drink water when I feel like snacking, but easier during the day I guess. But what works for me is entering the calories intake in this tool... It really turns me off when I see the efforts of the day goesdown the drain because of a craving... (I have a pretty low calorie target). If I still kill that piece of cheese, I'll try to run it off the next day. And if I don't, well, so be it, chances are it was yummy!

Cheers
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you know you'll be hungry at night - plan ahead for it. Leave some calories specifically for a late night snack. Then make sure you have healthy, satisfying foods in the house (no donuts in the house = no donuts to eat!).

I ALWAYS eat before I go to bed. I know if I don't - I'll wake up in the middle of the night and I will be starving. I know this leads to poor food choices and often times - for me, it leads to binge eating. I make sure that I have something healthy and satisfying to eat before bed.

A protein bar. Cottage cheese. etc