Slim Fast?

Options
I'm trying to find new tools to add to my toolkit before I go back to school. I'm wondering if anyone as tried using the SlimFast system?

I've done things like Nutrisystem before and lost weight but 1). It's too expensive to keep up and 2). There's only a few items that actually taste good,

I just need something that tastes okay and I can use to help me boost my weight loss. I want to lose 20lbs by January as I'm going on a trip and want to feel better.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use Atkins Shakes.....not as a plan, just as a quick breakfast on occasion. I don't follow Atkins as a diet...I use the shakes and sometimes their bars for a snack. But 99% of the time, I use regular food. You have to use real food in the long run.

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I did Celebrity Slim (that was the only meal replacement program readily available at the chemists) and I enjoyed it, but after a few weeks it started giving me stomach problems and I had to stop. The shakes were in milkshake flavours so it didn't help to reduce my cravings for sweet things, but they did fill me up.

I did use Slim Fast chocolate bars as an alternative to the real thing, but now they're too high in carbs for me. I use Grenade Carb Killa protein shakes and bars if I'm out and don't have access to the kind of meals I prefer, and the shakes are good for adding extra protein if I haven't significantly reached my protein goal for the day.

I think meal replacement programs can have their place, but they didn't teach me how to change my eating habits or reduce my sugar/carb intake and portion sizes. I think they can be useful psychologically as a kick start if you have a lot of weight to lose, and can see quite rapid weight loss in the first couple of weeks, but for longevity you have to change your attitude to food, and maybe learn to eat differently. Chugging down a shake or unwrapping a meal bar won't do that.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've tried Slim Fast. I thought the shakes tasted decent, but I didn't lose any weight while drinking them because I wasn't in a calorie deficit.

During my weight loss, I did not drink any diet shakes. I ate what I wanted and tracked my food to make sure I was in a calorie deficit.

The only real reason to drink Slim Fast is if you like the taste. They will not boost your weight loss. They will not cause you to lose any weight on their own.

You can eat any foods that fit into your calorie goals. If you need a quick meal that's inexpensive, I would recommend making large batches of dinner foods and portioning the leftovers into boxes that you can just grab out of the fridge for lunch.

I would also recommend not putting a deadline on your weight loss. What will happen if you lose only 15 pounds by your deadline. Will you be happy about the weight you lost, or sad that you didn't reach your goal? Why will your trip be better if you weigh 20 pounds less? And what will you do after your deadline? If you just go back to the way you used to eat, then you'll gain all of the weight right back.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I like to drink Slim fast shakes just for the taste,there's absolutely no way I could use them as a meal replacement cuz they seem to actually make,me hungrier
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Why drink most of your nutrition? I would always be hungry! If it works for you, good luck.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I would keep some around at work for when I had to work through lunch and hadn't brought anything in. Now I use Pure Protein whey based protein bars for that instead. But in either case, while you might think of them as a meal replacement, I actually use them as a "no meal" replacement - if I didn't have one handy, I wouldn't have a meal at all.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I drink a chocolate protein shake for breakfast. Not slim fast though. I think it's a good option if you're really busy or just super lazy in the mornings like me. I wouldn't replace 2 meals with a shake though. It seems like it would be difficult to get all of your required nutrition with just one "real" meal a day?
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Stick to protein shakes if you can. We ir as something to stick to for the rest of your life and if you can handle it. If the answer is no, then don't waste your money. Good luck chick.
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    *see it as

Not whatever gibberish that auto corrected to lol
  • LoveMusic4Life
    LoveMusic4Life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have tried the slim taste plan, the xls plan, and 5:2. On the slim fast i found i was getting hungry a lot more and would sneak in a snack, i lost a little weight but i found i put it all back on and then some when i was eating normal again, this is the same for xls plan. The 5:2 diet also worked for me, but all these diets are short term.

I recommend you do as other have suggested like making up batches of meals and weighing ingredients, this will be better for you and more nutritious than a diet shake. Protein bars are a good easy to go to when on the go and will help those hunger pangs for a while until you get to eat a proper meal.

Also getting out and doing a little exercise will help too, go for a walk, or jog if you enjoy jogging. I track my food and exercise on MFP and it has helped me a lot and i am losing at a steady pace. You don't need these fad diets to lose weight, just a new healthy routine that suits you. This is the healthy way to do it and you won't be left feeling hungry :).
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Save your money. Slim Fast is just a chalky, gross tasting, overpriced laxative.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I just need something that tastes okay
    Food?
    and I can use to help me boost my weight loss.

Calorie Deficit

1). It's too expensive to keep up

Perk of Calorie Deficit - it's free!

qn2pgj426tlu.jpg

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with most posters. Slim fast is fine if it fits your calories and you like it but other than that it is fancy milk. Below is the nutritional value in the French Vanilla version. As you can see it is mostly skim milk powder and sugar.
    pcc7dmwpwinx.jpg
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have used both SlimFast and WalMart's Equate version of SlimFast. It needs to be really cold to taste the best, but still is not really good. I found that for me, it just ended up being extra calories in my diet, as it is not really filling, and I was hungry sooner than the 4 hours they advertise. It may be helpful, but you might as well just learn to use real food, because you certainly don't want to be drinking just "2 a day plus a sensible dinner" for the rest of your life. Good luck to OP and the rest of us!
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It makes a nice desert milkshake if you use frozen fruit with it in the blender---lots of protein
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sugom2 wrote: »
    It makes a nice desert milkshake if you use frozen fruit with it in the blender---lots of protein

If it's protein you want, Slim Fast is not a very efficient way to get it at all.

Slim Fast original powder has very little protein. The original variety has two grams per 110 calorie serving of shake mix, or 10 grams per 180 calorie bottle of prepackaged prepared shake. This means that 8 of those 10 grams of protein are just coming from the skim milk used to prepare the shake.

For comparison, low-calorie protein bars like Quest or Pure Protein will get you 20 grams of protein for a 180 calorie serving. A 100 calorie serving of whey protein powder will also have about 20 grams of protein depending on the powder.

There is an "advanced nutrition" variety of Slim Fast that has more protein if that’s what you’re looking for. I expect it costs more than just buying protein powder, though.

The only real reason to drink Slim Fast is if you like the taste.