Went over my calories

Sparkle097
Sparkle097 Posts: 83 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m supposed to be eating 1320 calories to lose weight but today I ate 1500 calories. I feel super guilty. My daily carb goal is 100grams but I went up by 80grams

Replies

• 75i8080
    75i8080 Posts: 4 Member
    It's good that you're taking this seriously, but from a "big picture" perspective, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Look at it from weekly perspective instead of just daily - you'll see you're on target (or even under) and that's a win!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Do you know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight?

I bet it's more than 1500. Which means you were still in a deficit for the day, just a smaller one. Let it go.

Curse you for getting that song stuck in my head :angry:
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    try not to worry about it. guilt is normal but remind yourself it's VERY normal and just one day (and not at all that bad!) Keep positive and keep up the good work. Many even plan a day to go over a little.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    One day wouldn't make a difference, also you went over by a very small amount as others say.

I usually go over 1-2 days a week and I'm still losing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    One day wouldn't make a difference, also you went over by a very small amount as others say.

because you are still in a deficit obviously.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    I've gone over my cals most days this week (there's a festival going on). I'm still losing. MFP predicted if I ate as I've done today for 5 weeks I'd still lose one pound over that time. For me, loss is loss, whether it's an ounce or a kilo. I haven't fallen off any wagon, I just had a little break and will resume normal service tomorrow.

You've eaten less than 200 calories over your total. Is the reason you're stressing because you've made some arbitrary rule about foods you've told yourself you should or shouldn't have? Or do you think you're supposed to be some superhuman who never eats beyond their totals, even if you're hungry, and if you do you must be a Bad Person because you've attached some moral value to certain foods?

Those guilt-inducing approaches don't work in the long term. As another poster has said, chill. You're an ordinary human being and you will eat beyond your calorie totals from time to time. We all do. So there's no point in beating yourself up about being human and doing what humans do. Despite what you're thinking and feeling, it really is not that big of a deal. It's your own attitude to food that's causing the issue here, so maybe what you need to focus on is not the rather small amount of calories you went over on one day, but the way you view food as a whole.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    One day isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, especially since you're likely still in a deficit anyway. Consistency is the key, so as long as you keep staying in a deficit, you're still going to lose fat.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »

because you are still in a deficit obviously.

Yep :) I look at the week as a whole.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    meagan8376 wrote: »
    Burn the extra calories off.

For a lot of people who have a tendency to feel guilt even for minor, inconsequential overindulgence, telling them to exercise it off can set up bad patterns of binge/restrict or feeling they need to be punished for what they’ve done. It’s not always a particularly healthy mindset to encourage.

Or not.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Burn the extra calories off.

For a lot of people who have a tendency to feel guilt even for minor, inconsequential overindulgence, telling them to exercise it off can set up bad patterns of binge/restrict or feeling they need to be punished for what they’ve done. It’s not always a particularly healthy mindset to encourage.

Or not.

She's right. It is called exercise bulimia.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    You can offset a bit of the overage yet today ... by doing some exercise. Log onto YouTube and do a 15 minute segment of a Leslie Sansone Walk at Home video.

The best thing ... tomorrow is a new day so you get to START OVER.

Your overage is relatively small in the overall scheme of things. Starting over and keeping on plan tomorrow will get you mentally back on track.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    You'll have a great workout tomorrow with those extra carbs