to c25k graduates

Options
I completed Couch to 5k week 8 day 2 today. I am slightly disappointed that I only ran about 2 miles. I certainly upped my pace this time and ran much further...but alas not enough!
When I complete couch 2 5k in just over 1 week I will be running 30 mins but nowhere near 5k.

How long did it take couch to 5k gradutes to start running 5k?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It still takes me more than 30 mins to run 5km.
    Don't worry about speed, work on your endurance and speed will come.

You can keep using the principles of C25K by just adding in a few extra minutes to your run each time, and before you know it, you'll hit 5km.
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about this too, because I am at week seven but still only running about a mile and a half and just don't see me upping it that much unless I really tackle a big change in pace :(
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It still takes me more than 30 mins to run 5km.
    Don't worry about speed, work on your endurance and speed will come.

You can keep using the principles of C25K by just adding in a few extra minutes to your run each time, and before you know it, you'll hit 5km.

^this

More than 3 years later, I still am slow enough that I barely break 30 minutes for a 5k.
    But I've run 6 half marathons and I'm training for a full. SLOW and steady!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sorry, thread hijack, Rubybelle how do you get the C2S badge on your signature?
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The C25k thing is pretty misunderstood hey?
    If you complete the whole program you will be running constantly for 30min and/OR be able to run 5km - not be able to run 5km IN 30min.
    Dont stress about the distance too much, that comes with practice. Run often and you will increase your distance and your time.
    Enjoy running for what it is :)
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I raced in a 5k with in a week of graduation. My time was 33 minutes for my first race.

It took me an additional 3 months to drop that time to just under 30 minutes.

Run at your own pace, and complete the 5k first. Then decide if you want to continue to add distance or work on your speed. Graduating c25k is just the beginning
  • olivedrab
    olivedrab Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Run at your own pace, and complete the 5k first. Then decide if you want to continue to add distance or work on your speed. Graduating c25k is just the beginning

I think that's the most important point to keep in mind--that you are just setting up a good base right now. The more you keep running afterwards, the more you'll be able to improve on speed and/or distance, depending on your preference.

It took me a few weeks after finishing the program to drop down to a 33 minute 5k, then I kept shaving down the times in each race I entered. Now that I'm working on longer (for me) runs of 6-10 miles, my pace is slower again, unless I'm pushing myself in a short run.