New friends on keto

Options
I've been doing the ketogenic lifestyle for 8 weeks lost 15 lbs so far, first 10 was water weight. Feel great but feel like I could do better if I really used MFP to log my diary on a daily basis and macros macros macros. From what I've been researching macros are the most important and I need to learn. Maybe you feel the same. Maybe you need to bounce ideas off me for food choice and I can bounce off you for ideas aswell. Life would be better when we love ourselves we can love others

Replies

• danni1566
    danni1566 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m starting Keto on Monday. I’ve struggled with my weight for about 25 years.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have found understanding how things work, genuinely improving my quality of life! When it comes to weight management, we have been taught so much wrong. No matter we struggle bad.

You can eat what you want - calories is what matters for weightloss. Your rate of loss is limited by your weight and your calorie deficit over time.
  • Ruthy161
    Ruthy161 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pds on keto...got depressed and have just about put it all back on. But I am back in the game now.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sending you a friend request. I've been keto since the end of May and am down 25 lbs. This way of eating is really working for me. I have an open diary.
  • groovy_D
    groovy_D Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on keto for a month and I’m down 7 so far. I’ve been watching Dr. Berg videos to get as much information as possible. It’s nice to
    find a community here. 🙂
  • JasonMcMackins
    JasonMcMackins Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Well hello all,
    I inadvertently started the keto diet about mid June. I am currently down 60lbs. My guru is Thomas DeLauer. You can find him on YT and he offers all kinds of help for this lifestyle. I also 16/8 fasted for the first month and a half. I have recently switched this to three days per week. Sunday, Tuesday, & Thursday. I've mainly switched to this because there are a few other micro-nutrients I want to add in and need a few calory allowed mornings. I don't really follow caloric restrictions because I find reducing calories only serve to lower my resting metabolism, which is not what you want. I follow a loose Carb 5% - Protein 20% - Fat 75% diet. I say loose because some days I'm on the road and finding nutrient rich food is daunting. I get giggled at sometimes for carrying around my own pink salt shaker, but hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Due to the fasting I lose on average of 3-4lbs per week now. Nothing like the 10lbs per week before, but I'm comfortable with it. Any questions feel free to drop me a line.

• HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have found understanding how things work, genuinely improving my quality of life! When it comes to weight management, we have been taught so much wrong. No matter we struggle bad.

You can eat what you want - calories is what matters for weightloss. Your rate of loss is limited by your weight and your calorie deficit over time.

That is actually incorrect. The laws of thermodynamics do not apply to the human body. Calories in and calories out are not equal. "Eat what you want" contributes to high cholesterol, inflammation, disease processes and insulin resistance. The ketogenic diet eliminates all of those things. Yes, you manage your calories, but you do NOT eat what you want. You eat a very prescribed set of foods, mostly high fat, moderate protein and low carb.

I've been doing the keto diet for over 2 years now, and lost about 60 pounds in the first 6 months, although I have gotten more lax, so the weight has stopped coming off. Tracking is very, very important, but once you get through the initial quick weight loss, you'll need to exercise to keep it coming off. The pace will slow to the same rate as any other diet. Don't forget that as the weight comes off, too, you'll need to actually reduce your fat intake, or you'll stop burning it from your body because your body will be getting all the fat it needs through your diet.
  • jcruce73
    jcruce73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m new to MFP, but have done Keto/low carb for 8 years off and on....mostly off for the last 3. Hoping some accountability would help me stick with it.
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Consuming less calories than you burn will result in weight loss overtime. It really is that simple, however it wouldnt be healthy to consume your daily calorie intake using chocolate bars and chips :) as well, the TYPES of fats used in the keto diet as well a need to be considered as there are a number of resources citing meats as correlative factors in high cholesterol, diabetes, immune disorders, etc. Certain "meats", and I use that term lightly, like sausage, bologna, bacon, lunch meats, etc are classified as Group 1 Carcinogens - the same category as cigarettes.

• Ltabares1729
    Ltabares1729 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing keto for about two weeks now and I’ve lost around 16 pounds started at 294 I’m at 278 right now