How to get out of a rut?

Options
I am feeling stuck and overwhelmed. Since about July 18 I have not been able to go to the gym due to a lower back/hip injury. I have also gained about 5 lbs. I am doing physical therapy and little walks around the block, improving slooowly.
During this time other life stresses and responsibilities intensified and I started falling back into some poor food choices. Now everything has snowballed and I am physically and mentally exhausted, burnt out, constantly thinking/craving processed carbs and sugar and just all around frustrated with myself. Didn’t realize how much of a stress outlet the gym was for me and how much it anchored me to my schedule and health goals.
I am starting a new semester this week and wanted to go into it with a fresh start and positive mindset. Instead I’m feeling super antisocial, my pants are tight, super bloated, brain fog, dark circles under my eyes and sugar acne:/
Sorry for the long vent, I debated whether or not to post this as I didn’t want to just cry the blues. I’m a little scared because lately I’ve had this feeling like I’m slowly starting to give up in small ways and not really holding myself accountable as much. I would really appreciate learning anyone’s experiences, techniques or strategy that helped them confront themselves and get out of a rut and back on track?
Thank-you

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    The best way I know to get back on track is to start tracking.
    No judgment, no deficit goals, just tracking.

Be as relaxed as you can while doing it, and when you are ready, start making small changes that will lead to a calorie deficit and your nutritional goals.

As you know, exercise is excellent for health, mental and physical for most people, but not needed for weight loss.

When you decide you can fit in exercise, do, but make sure you eat back your exercise calories so you are well fuelled.

You are doing this for weight loss, but keep good health, mental and physical, at the forefront.

Sorry, I have no experience in giving up, I do have a lot of experience in having a reasonable deficit, denying myself no foods, deciding on a workout timetable that is doable for me, and maintaining my weight loss for ~9 years.

Make the changes you do now for weight loss and fitness ones that you can maintain long term.

Cheers, h.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have only one comment, and that is to constantly thinking/craving processed carbs and sugar. Are you sure you don't just want something nice and comforting? And that the current demonizing of sugar, carbs and "processed food" affects you too? The more we tell ourselves we shouldn't have/do something, the more we want it. And when you're depressed and stressed, you crave comfort. And eating relieves stress temporarily. But you might feel guilty or out of control when you eat for comfort. And then you crave more food, and eat more, and feel more out of control, so you eat more, and more poorly, and not getting in enough nutrition makes you more hungry too, so you crave fast replenishment, which is easily available all the time. Yes, self-destructive actions when we're feeling low, can snowball really fast.

Have you considered a "fallback plan" for when everything happens at once? Easy routines so you avoid making decisions when you're overwhelmed. Stocking up on nutritious foods you can eat without having to think, set meal times so you just eat and then get on with other things you have to do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to make the conscious decision to get out of the rut.

Injuries suck :flowerforyou:
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Did PT give you homework? Did they clear you to walk on a treadmill? Can you do that stuff in the gym?

One day in a down mood because of an injured foot, I realized I was doing this- I was letting the injury to my foot take over my head. Over the years I’ve dealt with a number of injuries. No I’m not a super jock, just a guy trying to be active. But disruptions to exercise and activity routines can bring a lot of gloom.

The reason I ask about the PT homework and treadmill, is sometimes I find I need a placeholder. Even if I’m only walking or doing some kind of floor or chair exercise, it’s still my workout time. Without my activity placeholder, I’d be on the couch pouting, or wandering into the kitchen.
  • joe00678mfp
    joe00678mfp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Take the same discipline you had for the gym and put that into a routine for your diet. It will work wonders for you mentally and physically.

Make small changes over time and you'll be exactly where you want to be. :smile:
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Try to break things down into manageable pieces. We get overwhelmed when we are trying to chew too much in one bite. When things feel out of control (like you can't workout because of your injury) and find one thing that is within your control (which is what you are eating). You can have cravings and not act on them. You can just sit with them, feel them, acknowledge them, and then move on.
  • sharonedix
    sharonedix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just know this, hard places don't last forever. Be kind to yourself forgiving and enjoying each day . Fill your mind with the beauty of each day remembering you are important to others . Ask your self is what I am eating or doing fueling my goals .. ...your new friend believes in you and surely ...your change shall come Prophetess Sharon
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for the kind words and logical perspectives everyone:)
  • DottyIsabel
    DottyIsabel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Really appreciated this post as I found myself in a similar situation over the last two months.. (broken foot, starting a desk job plus a 4 hour commute every day)
    While all comments on dieting totally make sense, it was really helpful for me to let myself feel down for a moment AND THEN TO REMIND MYSELF WHY I STARTED!
    What was your original motivation to start with MFP? Remind yourself of that. :) Good luck :)