Not new, not (so) fat. Lets get healthier and skinnier :)

Options
Hey peeps! I love MFP and the social side of it. I'm 25 and have a BMI of 22, but want to get stronger and skinnier. I was lighter before and that felt so good. Want to get back to that weight (about 5kg to go)!!!! I'm very motivated and determined already, but would love to share with / support like-minded peeps. Soooo comment if you want me to add you! (or add me :smile: )

Replies

• bloom2015
    bloom2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You look quite skinny already so maybe you may want to focus on getting more muscled and muscles weigh more than fat, they also help metabolism. I don't believe in extreme diets so you need to eat a healthy diet. Your BMI of 22 looks good on you as best I can see. What is your fat percentage now? If you have little to no fat, what can you lose to get skinnier; it has to be muscle that you lose. Think about it that way.
  • Butterfly_Lion
    Butterfly_Lion Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My fat percentage is 23% (but my scale may not be the most reliable fat % measure thing), so you're right about focusing more on weight training and fat loss. I don't believe in extreme diets either, and I don't do that. I eat about 1300 calories (I measure as much as possible) but more if I work out (and also more if I'm with friends lol). I understand that it is not really necessary/needed to lose weight, but I know I really feel good when I do :-) so that's why I posted here!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy BMI, scales wont be accurate in any way for measuring BF% - You don't look like you need to lose 5kg .... there's plenty of threads on here about recomping - lift weights to increase muscle mass which leads to smaller proportions as muscle takes up less space than fat i.e so you can be strong and lean :smile: .

To lose a few more pounds you need to be more accurate at counting those calories, the measuring as much as possible is all fine and well but if you aren't getting the results you hoped for it means you aren't in calorie deficit/i.e you are eating more than you think.

• TinaZ2018
    TinaZ2018 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi! I sent you a friend request. 1200 kcal is very little. Unless you are petite. You should calculate you metabolic rate (the calories you burn only by living) and set that as a normal target and not go under it. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator I had a month when I ate 1100-1200 kcal because I thought that by eating less, I'll lose weight but it had opposite effect, because the body went into alarm mode. As soon as I calculated my BMR (someone told me about it) and raised the target to 1400 kcal, I started to constantly lose weight. During this while I was exercising 4-5 times a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    TinaZ2018 wrote: »
    Hi! I sent you a friend request. 1200 kcal is very little. Unless you are petite. You should calculate you metabolic rate (the calories you burn only by living) and set that as a normal target and not go under it. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator I had a month when I ate 1100-1200 kcal because I thought that by eating less, I'll lose weight but it had opposite effect, because the body went into alarm mode. As soon as I calculated my BMR (someone told me about it) and raised the target to 1400 kcal, I started to constantly lose weight. During this while I was exercising 4-5 times a week.

what is 'alarm mode'?
  • dhemp11
    dhemp11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Are you counting your macros (Carbs, Calories, Protein) while at the same time keeping an eye on sugar and sodium intake? What’s your current workout routine? I understand wanting to feel healthier and completely get where you’re at. Feel free to mess or add me.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My fat percentage is 23% (but my scale may not be the most reliable fat % measure thing), so you're right about focusing more on weight training and fat loss. I don't believe in extreme diets either, and I don't do that. I eat about 1300 calories (I measure as much as possible) but more if I work out (and also more if I'm with friends lol). I understand that it is not really necessary/needed to lose weight, but I know I really feel good when I do :-) so that's why I posted here!

i would look into recomp, or a very small deficit.

are you strength training currently?
  • TinaZ2018
    Options

what is 'alarm mode'?

Meaning that when the body feels that it's being deprived of nutrients and sufficient food for its good functioning, it starts the alarm and starts keeping 'deposits' of fats to have reserves. So if you eat healthy and sufficient, your metabolism will work properly and you will actually burn more calories than if you eat very little.
    Undereating can slow down your metabolism and make you gain weight. You need calories to exercise, walk, eat, sleep, think, breathe, pump blood—the list goes on. If you don't take in enough calories to survive, your body will store food to protect itself.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

what is 'alarm mode'?

Meaning that when the body feels that it's being deprived of nutrients and sufficient food for its good functioning, it starts the alarm and starts keeping 'deposits' of fats to have reserves. So if you eat healthy and sufficient, your metabolism will work properly and you will actually burn more calories than if you eat very little.
    Undereating can slow down your metabolism and make you gain weight. You need calories to exercise, walk, eat, sleep, think, breathe, pump blood—the list goes on. If you don't take in enough calories to survive, your body will store food to protect itself.

if that actually happened, how would people starve to death?
  • TinaZ2018
    edited August 2018
    Options
    That's just the first phase... I wasn't talking about starving yourself to death. I was talking about not providing enough nutrients to your body. Of course that eventually the body will start 'eating itself' from whatever nutrient deposits it has...
    While trying to lose weight, most of the time you can hit a plateau phase because you should eat more (people tend to eat very little calories, supposing that that's all it takes to lose weight).