Fitness Trouble For the Workaholic

Options
Okay so... I am a 21 year old female, I’m trying to lose 40 pounds ASAP... however, I also work 60 hours a week and never have time for working out and I can’t afford a gym memebership with my minimum wage salary and constant bills. How can I exersize in my daily life so I can lose my weight? Calorie counting just isn’t enough. Thanks! Also, getting up before work isn’t an option. I work till 10pm and have to be back at work at 4am so I have very minimal time(three jobs, not just one).

Replies

• davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd walk a lot more - to lunch, around the neighborhood, take stairs, etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You only need a calorie deficit to lose weight so you dont have to exercise if you get your calories right.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    First, I'd cut out the idea of losing as fast as possible. We're talking about you body and health for the rest of your life here. You're probably already exhausted with your schedule, jumping into a super fast weight loss program is a great formula for burn out.
    Second, meal plan. It really doesn't take as long as you'd think, especially once you learn how to work it onto your schedule.
    Finally, look at the bits and pieces of spare time you have (10 mins here, 40 mins there, etc) and consider using those for exercise, even just a short walk or a few jumping jacks or squats can make a difference.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't matter, you can and will lose as long as you're counting your calories accurately. Also, with those kind of long hours, presumably you have 1-2 days off? Or at least a lot of time between shifts? You can exercise at home when you have a chance, or start walking/running/cycling.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    smileyy1 wrote: »
    Okay so... I am a 21 year old female, I’m trying to lose 40 pounds ASAP... however, I also work 60 hours a week and never have time for working out and I can’t afford a gym memebership with my minimum wage salary and constant bills. How can I exersize in my daily life so I can lose my weight? Calorie counting just isn’t enough. Thanks! Also, getting up before work isn’t an option. I work till 10pm and have to be back at work at 4am so I have very minimal time(three jobs, not just one).

If calorie counting isn't enough for you, then you're not doing it right. Invest in a food scale, log accurately and the weight will come off. If you want to work out then it can go for a walk on your break or perhaps as part of your commute (presumably you get one break a day from at least one of your jobs) or do a youtube video at home.

40lbs is going to take you at least a good few months to shift, so you will have to at least exercise some patience.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    smileyy1 wrote: »

Ya, I remember it was tough to get in exercise when I had two part time jobs. Presumably your hours at each are so short that you don't get a lunch break? I like to walk at lunch.

I do this at home: The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too!. I had some dumb bells, got more from freecycle.org, had one strap, got a longer one with more tension from a neighbor, use a chair instead of the yoga ball, and my feet to hold the door rather than the door thingy. So all it cost was the $12 for the book.

Do you enjoy all of those part time jobs, or are they just a way to pay the bills? If you waitressed, you'd get in plenty of steps! :lol:
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When my work schedule is insane, I do longer workouts on the weekend and find time for one half hour workout during the week. So for me, that might be: Saturday, 90 minute Orange Theory class, Sunday, 8 mile run (or a hike, or a spin class plus a half hour of weights), Wednesday, go to the gym on my lunch break or after work for a quick 30 minute workout.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I prefer basic workout's without a gym anyways. Sit ups, jumping jacks, squats.. you can do all of it in the comfort of your own home and on your own time.

Calorie counting is enough to lose weight but I am guessing that at 21 years old you want to be *fitter* not just skinnier. So do the calorie counting for the weight loss and go onto pinterest or something for a basic at-home workout plan that involves lots of basic exercises... you don't need anything fancy.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Eating less is the key to weight loss. Running is the most efficient (time, money, burn rate) way to burn extra calories. 60hrs/week is unsustainable, keep looking for better opportunities that allow a sane schedule. Your weight is not as high a priority as getting your life under control.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Focus on your diet and not exercise.