What is everyones goal weight?

Options
Is everyones goal weight like realistic? Like i used to be 105 lbs back in highschool mind you i am 5'2, but is it realistic for me to want to be 105 lbs what do you think? Or should i be making it around 120 lbs

Replies

• lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I dont wanna settle but like average weight. But at the same time i dont wanna make the goal unreachable
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor or a nutritionist what the best weight for you would be -- I feel like this would depend on more than your height (as a woman, my boobs play into my goal weight significantly, for example).

I am 5'5" and my goal changes all the time. I'm at 135, and I think 130-135 is a good range for me. I started my journey at 180 and my original goal was 150. Then 145. Once you get closer to a healthier weight and you feel good, you'll have a great sense of where you should be, I think! Perhaps to start out with, pick a number in the mid-range of your BMI.. 120 is probably a good goal for now!
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You want an opinion? Here's mine. A realistic goal weight includes how easy it is to stay there, meaning it allows for your eating behaviour at goal weight. Anyway, use something like a full length mirror to see what you look like as you drop the weight. You may find that some parts of your body lose weight faster than others. That's very common.

Good luck and please post on the Motivation forum when you reach it!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Make it to 120 and stay there for a while. If you find it easy to maintain and feel like you would be capable of maintaining a lower weight, lose a little bit more if you're not happy with where you are.

My personal goal weight is a little bit different because I like the overweight look, so it's definitely realistic. My goal weight is a starting weight for some women with my stats.
  • K1sP
    K1sP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It used to be 61 kg but, at my age now, it would totally unrealistic and probably bad for me so if I could just drop down to 77 kg I would be happy cause I am currently sitting at a whopping 83 kg. So, I just want to be at a comfortable weight that allows me to do more activities without losing my breath.
  • K1sP
    K1sP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, nobody really needs to work so hard to shave down the Kilos from one extreme to another. It's kind of bad for you, so I feel like 4 kg increments are best so that your body can better adjust.
  • CarlBFrog
    CarlBFrog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BMI or historic weight can be really misleading. You and your body change. If you look in good shape that is your best weight! Try setting a main goal then divide it into 4 sub goals. As you get to each one you re-assess what your end goal should be. Getting a friend to take an "honest" photo can help see what you really look like if you can handle that! Make your weight loss gradual and a lifestyle change that you can maintain. When you reach your optimum weight you want to stay there IMO.
  • LoveMusic4Life
    LoveMusic4Life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im 5"6 and according to stats my ideal weight is 60.8kg, i have been this weight before when i was younger and i actually looked ill, at the moment i am 78.9kg and my short term goal is to get down to 70kg.

I agree with Peter though about setting goals and dividing them. This actually works for me and ive been doing it for a few months now. I am losing weight at a steady pace while still eating healthy meals and working out. Also i don't look over weight when i look in the mirror even though i am, but my shape is good and i look in proportion so no one else knows im over weight except for me lol.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I base my goal weight on the middle of a healthy BMI range. I was overweight when I graduated high school so I've never had a period of adulthood that I could use to help establish a goal. I'm 5'1" and planning to settle around 120lbs while continuing with strength training. I believe if I hadn't started strength training from the beginning, I probably would have thought I needed to lose even more but I'm mostly happy with my body composition and will continue with recomp once I hit goal.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 175 or so. The lowest I been since I been out of high school was 212 and I am going to be lower than that I guarantee it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lillyy23 wrote: »
    Is everyones goal weight like realistic? Like i used to be 105 lbs back in highschool mind you i am 5'2, but is it realistic for me to want to be 105 lbs what do you think? Or should i be making it around 120 lbs

Luckily, your goal weight isn't set in stone, you can change it as you get closer if you want!

While BMI isn't the be-all-and-end-all, the healthy weight range for your height is 104-135lbs. So 105 is pretty lean, but that doesn't mean it isn't right for you. Are you built the same as you were when you were 105? Have you grown/developed/become more or less athletic?

I personally would start with something a little higher. You mentioned 120, why don't you start there? Then when you get there, it will be easier to look in the mirror, consider the effort it will take to lose more, and decide if you want to continue.

I'm 5'4 and I never really set a "goal weight". I figured I'm going to be paying attention to weight maintenance for the rest of my life, and I didn't have any reason to set a deadline, so I'll just go until I feel like I like where I am. I'm currently 125-128 lbs. I think I will probably try to lose another 5 at some point, but for now I 'm happy with the balance of weight/calories/activity where I am.

Good luck :drinker:
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 223 right now. My first big goal is to get to 175. I am aiming for around 140. I'm 5'6" and pretty average build. I was 128 when I hot married but I've had 2 kids and I'm going to be realistic that some things never go back the way they were. I want to be at 185 by the end of December.
  • RedDragonfly8
    RedDragonfly8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 164cm and starting weight was 67kg, my goal is 50kg I've been there once but something happened and gained 7kg so here I go again XD
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm 179 cm and currently sit at around 83.5 kg (starting weight, before I consciously started losing was 95 kg). I use 2 kg intervals as goal, so the next one is 81 kg. Ultimately I'm aiming for between 73-75 kg. No idea when I'll get there.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    159 lbs. It's the very upper tip of "healthy" weight for my height, but I have two kids and I felt good last time I weighed that before I had my children. Once I reach 159, I plan to hit maintenance for a while, working on my fitness and seeing how things go. If I feel a need to take more weight off, I can decide that later. I'm not trying to be tiny, just healthy and strong.
  • mellee1430
    mellee1430 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI charts I'd have to have a goal of 149 to be "Normal".... I've never been normal a day in my life. I did manage to get to 191 a few years back, and while I wanted to lose more, I was happy wearing that size 12/14! Got married, changed eating habits to accommodate hubby and step child- gained 100 lbs back. I'm finally ready to kick it off again. I've lost 36 lbs in 10 weeks following a low carb meal plan without exercise (ankle injury) and am so thrilled this has been so easy. PCOS, hypothyroidism, and genetics work against me daily- but my current main goal is 250 by my birthday at the end of October, with 200 being the primary goal- to be assessed further once I get there. I'm also doing the 12 week challenge in here to help keep me on track.
  • prettyshambolic
    prettyshambolic Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    5'1" and my goal is 123
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth on this. Having been overweight for my entire life, I honestly just don’t know. I have reached “healthy BMI” range, so I guess I’ll keep on what I’m doing and see where this goes.