A pit of depression 15 months isolation

Options
I've been on and off diets for years , i got down to my lowest weight 2 years ago , 20 stone to 12 stone and i put it all back on within a year because of my mental health and a serve serve breakdown. I'm still not able to leave my house now , but i've made positive steps in the last 2 weeks to get back on the horse diet and loose weight. I've been clean eating now for 10 days and exercising every day inside with the equipment i have. I'm feeling it this time i really am , i hope i can stick this out. I need to get back outside into the sunlight. Its been a living hell being trapped inside my own home for that length of time.

Replies

• slimmingforme
    slimmingforme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Depression is a really horrible thing, I have been suffering for 5 or 6 years now with some dangerously high and low periods. I know my weight has been a constant issue during this time, convinced that if I lose weight I'll be happier... I know now that simply losing the weight isn't what is going to fix the problem but the exercise and food I put in my body will help fixing the problem - if that leads to weightloss then it's a bonus.
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself, take small steps and build your confidence. Make small, realistic goals and go about SMASHING THEM !
    Try yoga and meditation in your home, I found they went such a long way for me when I was really low. Check out Yoga with Adrienne on youtube, she's brilliant!!
    Good luck x
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Can you go outside for walks? Walking is the unsung hero of weight loss and I think it has mental hygiene features as well. Audiobooks/podcasts are a nice way to multi-task as you walk. Burning calories, enjoying the sunshine, listening to a good book, generating some endorphines, not eating all contribute to success.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It seems you know what you have to do and are getting on with it.

I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy as it's like a living death. Try to get outside when you are able and get some counselling if you consider it necessary.

Truly the best of luck.
  • PillzTony
    PillzTony Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ,
    mulecanter wrote: »
    Can you go outside for walks? Walking is the unsung hero of weight loss and I think it has mental hygiene features as well. Audiobooks/podcasts are a nice way to multi-task as you walk. Burning calories, enjoying the sunshine, listening to a good book, generating some endorphines, not eating all contribute to success.

Unfortunately not at the moment , i plan to get their within a month or so. I'm using my crosstrainer everyday and eating less than 2000 calories.
    msf74 wrote: »

I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy as it's like a living death. Try to get outside when you are able and get some counselling if you consider it necessary.

Truly the best of luck.

I have a diagnose of borderline personalty disorder i was discharged a long time ago because of my fear of living the house. But im working to get back to being outside again and to gain some confidence and loose some weight.
    donnapal79 wrote: »
    You can do it. Are you seeing a doctor regarding your mental health? Just remember to go slow, I mean SLOW. Getting excited and jumping into too much too fast can cause mental and physical fatigue that is hard to recover from.

I find that yoga and daily walking (only as much as you can handle) can help significantly with my own mental health issues. Maybe it's because both of those activities are easily adjusted to what you can handle on any particular day. Of course, you should do whatever activities you like, but just remember that it's okay to take it easy when you need to.

Good luck and don't stress yourself out about what you think you should do. Focus on learning and accepting what you can do for now. You can build on that. 🙂

Doctors here won't do anything but drug me up , im already on two types of meds.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I hope you start feeling better. Anxiety and depression are horrid.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all the best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    PillzTony wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies ,
    mulecanter wrote: »

Unfortunately not at the moment , i plan to get their within a month or so. I'm using my crosstrainer everyday and eating less than 2000 calories.
    msf74 wrote: »

Truly the best of luck.

I have a diagnose of borderline personalty disorder i was discharged a long time ago because of my fear of living the house. But im working to get back to being outside again and to gain some confidence and loose some weight.
    donnapal79 wrote: »
    You can do it. Are you seeing a doctor regarding your mental health? Just remember to go slow, I mean SLOW. Getting excited and jumping into too much too fast can cause mental and physical fatigue that is hard to recover from.

I find that yoga and daily walking (only as much as you can handle) can help significantly with my own mental health issues. Maybe it's because both of those activities are easily adjusted to what you can handle on any particular day. Of course, you should do whatever activities you like, but just remember that it's okay to take it easy when you need to.

Good luck and don't stress yourself out about what you think you should do. Focus on learning and accepting what you can do for now. You can build on that. 🙂

Doctors here won't do anything but drug me up , im already on two types of meds.

Another vote for spending time walking outside when you are up for it.

Do you have anyone who can go with you to doctors and advocate for you? My brother is mentally ill and fortunately has my mother to help out when needed. He's not great at reporting when he needs medication changes.

Best wishes to you.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    PillzTony wrote: »
    See if you can find a therapist, or really a group of therapists, who are trained in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. Depending on where you live that might mean going to a hospital (for outpatient or intensive outpatient therapy) or a larger practice.

DBT is especially efficacious in treating borderline. If you want more information about it from someone who has done DBT feel free to send me a message (or ask me here). While it wasn't a good fit for me, in part because I don't have borderline (and in part because I don't do well with therapeutic modalities that are time based - CBT would likely also not work well for me), I do have a lot of first hand experience as a client and know people for whom it was very effective.