HRM recommondation required

Options
I could have sworn I posted this before, but I can't find the post now - sorry if this is a repeat... I'm new here.

I had a Polar F4 for ages, until it broke. I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade.

However, I'd specifically like two things that the F4 didn't seem to have.

1) I'd like something that already takes background/BMR calories off - do any of them do this?

2) I'd like something that automatically stores calories totals per day and per week, instead of having to reset manually - the F4 would store as much as you want, but it would just be a running total, and I'd inevitably forget to reset the next day, so I'd never be able to tell how much I'd done all day, just for a given day.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

This is a good read for you! I am not aware of a HRM that takes off your BMR calories, I do it manually.

Best of Luck!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    None that I know of are gonna back out your BMR.. but look at the newer models Polar FT4/7
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I could have sworn I posted this before, but I can't find the post now - sorry if this is a repeat... I'm new here.

I had a Polar F4 for ages, until it broke. I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade.

However, I'd specifically like two things that the F4 didn't seem to have.

1) I'd like something that already takes background/BMR calories off - do any of them do this?

2) I'd like something that automatically stores calories totals per day and per week, instead of having to reset manually - the F4 would store as much as you want, but it would just be a running total, and I'd inevitably forget to reset the next day, so I'd never be able to tell how much I'd done all day, just for a given day.

Thanks in advance.

1) as far as I know none of the HRMs do this, go on line and read the manuals if you want to be sure. That being said it isn't BMR that you should back out, but rather maintenance calories. This is because if you were not working out you would not be in a coma so you will burn more than BMR even doing nothing.
    2) The Polar FT7 stores 99 workouts and you can change the battery yourself.

I have heard some good things regarding Garmin HRMs and the opposite about Timex ones. I have only used Polar myself.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    I just got a Garmin Forerunner 405. it has GPS for running too. Also look up MapMyRun.com
  • gurgaveed
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone; and that's an excellent article, Julia! :)
  • gurgaveed
    Options
    Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you manually substract maintenance calories from a single workout? Thanks.