dumbbells

Options
im buying some dumbbells online. what weight should i start at?

Replies

• Finneyfaery
    Options
    I would go to the store first and see what you can lift. Start with 5s. Do 12-15 reps. If they're to light and you aren't struggling at the end, then you need to up the weight to 8 or 10. You might even be stronger than that. But you want to aim for 12-15 reps per workout. With proper form. If you struggle, then the weight is too much. Don't hesitate to buy 5s AND 10s or whichever. Having both will be useful. One workout might be easier with the lighter than the heavier. But like I said, when the weight gets too light and you can get through the workouts without tiring the muscles, then it's time to upgrade. I started with 5s and I am now on 25-30. On certain workouts. It's amazing the strength you can build, it just takes time and practice. :) another tip I learned, when the weight becomes too much in the middle of a workout, switch to a lighter weight, and vice versa.. Hope this helps.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I would go to the store first and see what you can lift. Start with 5s. Do 12-15 reps. If they're to light and you aren't struggling at the end, then you need to up the weight to 8 or 10. You might even be stronger than that. But you want to aim for 12-15 reps per workout. With proper form. If you struggle, then the weight is too much. Don't hesitate to buy 5s AND 10s or whichever. Having both will be useful. One workout might be easier with the lighter than the heavier. But like I said, when the weight gets too light and you can get through the workouts without tiring the muscles, then it's time to upgrade. I started with 5s and I am now on 25-30. On certain workouts. It's amazing the strength you can build, it just takes time and practice. :) another tip I learned, when the weight becomes too much in the middle of a workout, switch to a lighter weight, and vice versa.. Hope this helps.

thanks im probably going tp start at about five and go from there :)
  • raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi That all depends on what you wish to do. I have a set of dumbels with various weights great for adding or reducing the weights for your needs. If you buy one size they can not be adjusted if you wish to build mustle.

Hope this helps
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Good advice from ^^^

Depending on how much $$$ you have, there are some dumbbells that are adjustable. You set the dail for the weight you want and when you pick them up thats what the weight will be. I think I saw them on one of the P90 DVDs.
  • Finneyfaery
    Options
    And you won't bulk up. Women don't have the testosterone levels like men do. So you will build lean muscle. And the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. Don't be surprised if you do everything right but see a small gain on the scale. Just means you are adding muscle. I used to weigh 270 pounds. I had gotten down to 180, but after being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I gained weight from the insulin. I was back up to 200. I started working out more and doing more strength training. I am now at 190, but am smaller than I was at the 180!! Muscle takes up less space but is more dense. Weight is so weird!! Lol.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    And you won't bulk up. Women don't have the testosterone levels like men do. So you will build lean muscle. And the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. Don't be surprised if you do everything right but see a small gain on the scale. Just means you are adding muscle. I used to weigh 270 pounds. I had gotten down to 180, but after being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I gained weight from the insulin. I was back up to 200. I started working out more and doing more strength training. I am now at 190, but am smaller than I was at the 180!! Muscle takes up less space but is more dense. Weight is so weird!! Lol.
    Exactly! There's comes a point where the scale does not tell the whole truth BUT a tape measure WILL.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you're the same as me, you'll need somewhere between 1-60kg, depending on the exercise/reps/sets/rest/tempo.

If it's for circuit training, go to the store and have a go as suggested.

For adjustable one, power block and bowflex are examples of those to check out.

Or if you can spare a few grand, just by a whole set and a rack to put them on in your home gym :)