Feeling very discouraged

Options
I don't want to sound negative, but I am just so frustrated with myself. I just participated in a major relay race this past weekend and did pretty well considering I am not in the best shape of my life. Well I looked at some of the pics my teammates posted of us before and after the race and was just so disgusted with what I saw. I have gained an enormous amount of weight and now am at my heaviest weight of my life. I just want to cry every time I look in the mirror. I used to be in fantastic shape and had such great willpower when it came to eating right and working out religiously. I am in utter shock that I let myself go like this and now I feel like I will never get in shape again. I worked so hard to prepare for the race and to look at those pics and still see an overweight frump is so discouraging. It's just ridiculous and sad and I was really hoping maybe someone would have some ideas to help me. I'm just so ready to give up and accept that this is what i'm going to look like for the rest of my life. :(

Replies

• ginalu59
    ginalu59 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    102676431.png
    I know how you feel. Don't beat yourself up. Just start and before you know it you will be losing weight. I gained a lot of weight, but on KETO I have shed 14 pounds since July 17, 2018.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I felt that way. For about a week I walked around and asked myself how this happened. And I had no good answers other than sloppy eating and no exercise. So cheer up. Establish your calorie goal and start following it, and know that you are the only one that can motivate yourself. Crying and being depressed will not change anything, but positive action will. Every day is a new start! I have a strong feeling that you can do this and be very successful! And when you need support or have questions, ask!
  • jill69peterson
    jill69peterson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have had some success w/ the "Bright Lines" diet. I started on 6/1/18. No sugar, no flour. 3 meals a day, no snacks. I'm down 11 lbs. Just came back here for the support. Realized the need to log/ track meals, even though you are supposed to do that on that diet. Its the brain (addicted) so must completely avoid the triggers. Keep on Keepin' on! Every day is the chance to start again. You have the exercise down, just need the food plan.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I think that feeling you have is what brought many of us to MFP in the first place. The good news is that this is a problem you can absolutely do something about. I gained my weight between age 50 and 53 and took it all off in 3 months. Keeping it off is the hard part, IMO. But this is very doable at any age.
  • 75i8080
    75i8080 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience that started me on this. I was discouraged...and then really angry. I used that as fuel to make the changes I wanted.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Please don’t start any fad diet. Anything that makes you cut out an entire food group and guarantees instant weight loss at a rapid weight is always a gimmick that will work at the beginning but enevitably fail. Like a few other posters already said, just make small sustainable changes and eat what you’d like in moderation. When I wanted to lose weight, MFPs calorie recommendations were accurate for what I wanted.