Soy = health problems

Options
Ok so after a long time of struggling to take diary products i decided i would switch to soy milk, and ive heard people say that soy can effect health if you consume enough of it?. i would say i consume about 1litre in 2-3days? can vary i can use 3litres one week so on so forth.

But lately ive noticed i feel alot weaker i keep having sharp pains in my legs and hips when i walk(was thinking lack of calcium?) and ive just felt under the weather but ive seen a doctor and they say it may be something in my diet.

any ideas? feel free to look at my diary if you may think there is another reason

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if it is a lack of calcium why don't you just take a extra supplement? problem solved..
  • laitae
    laitae Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't knwo the answer, but I'm curious about what others will say. I've also switched to soy milk too and eat very little or no diary at all, but I've not noticed any symptoms like this.
  • KazNoms
    KazNoms Posts: 83
    Options
    my body doesnt abosorbe supplements to well
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Ok so after a long time of struggling to take diary products i decided i would switch to soy milk, and ive heard people say that soy can effect health if you consume enough of it?. i would say i consume about 1litre in 2-3days? can vary i can use 3litres one week so on so forth.

But lately ive noticed i feel alot weaker i keep having sharp pains in my legs and hips when i walk(was thinking lack of calcium?) and ive just felt under the weather but ive seen a doctor and they say it may be something in my diet.

any ideas? feel free to look at my diary if you may think there is another reason

It may be lack of calcium but your sodium intake is also very low on some days. This can cause cramps and make you feel very tired and generally under the weather. It may be worth keeping a diary of how you feel and what your sodium intake is for that day. Some people can get away with very little, others feel rubbish if they don't get enough. Definitely keep your sodium under the maximum but you may want to try increasing it slightly, especially if you are exercising and drinking lots of water, or if the weather is hot where you are. You lose salt when you sweat but you need salt for your body to function properly. Putting a little salt on your meals is ok provided you don't go over the 2,500mg a day. I hope you feel better soon.
  • antigeist
    Options
    The health problems people talk about is the myth that soy causes a number of health problems such as increased cholesterol, lesser bone density and fertility but these have all been scientifically proven wrong.

There is more than enough calcium in an enriched soy product in a glass of soy milk, so if you are drinking just regular soy milk, this may be the issue.
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Try using other sources like oat, rice, almond or hemp. Not all soy protein are created equal and perhaps your body would prefer non-soy sources. I used to almost exclusively consume soy but I stopped and discovered a whole new universe.:smile: