Compression stockings/pain/leg muscle

Options
I'm in my early twenties and developed a varicose vein in my leg over a decade ago when I gained a lot of weight quickly and became sedentary. My doctor recommended compression stockings so I just bought some knee highs as well as tights to control the pain I experience and promote circulation (on feet all day at work) although I might opt for surgery if I can afford it in the future. Anyway, a couple questions: should I wear these at the gym or is that redundant as exercise promotes circulation? Next, has anyone had improvement with their varicose veins/pain by building up the leg muscles? I'm average build, 5'6" at 135ish, and it's unusual for someone my age to have such a problem. Any experiences or thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    All good questions for your doctor. I have no personal experience to share.
  • Frogsareawesomenotslimy
    Options
    I can tell you my stats are majorly different than yours. 32. 250ish and 5'9". But I was gifted with painful vericose veins with my youngest. I have had surgery to correct it on 1 leg. But I wear the stockings anyway. 1 it helps reduce swelling/water retention. 2 if its leg day and I don't wear them the veins THROB and keep me up all night. And let me tell you it is way worse than the burn of the muscles. So that is my 2 cents, take it as you see fit lol
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    No personal experience to share, but doesn't Serena Williams wear compression garments on her legs when exercising? DVT vs varicose veins, so maybe not applicable, but she is one kick *kitten* athlete who wears them, FWIW.